Amarok Problems

Questions specific to SolydK Business Edition
RavenLX

Amarok Problems

Postby RavenLX » 17 Jun 2014 02:06

I guess most folks in a business situation wouldn't even install Amarok but I'm using BE as my home/work computer because it's the stable edition and would require less bandwidth to keep updated.

I'm having some trouble with Amarok. I googled but couldn't find anything that was exactly what was happening in my case. There are three issues:

1. The playlist is greyed out.
2. The play progress bar is all the way at the end and unusuable (can't shift to different points in the track).
3. The song I select from the playlist would play once, but not go on to the next one even though I have it set to replay the playlist and scroll playlist to current track, etc.

The songs do play. Just only the one I select. And it won't play the others in the list. Now in the Home edition it worked perfectly.

Anyone encounter this and know a fix?

I should say I did backup all my songs and playlists from the SolydK home editions and then used Update Collection in BE and even put everything in exactly the same directories as they were in the home edition.

RavenLX

Re: Amarok Problems

Postby RavenLX » 18 Jun 2014 17:23

Bump (still having problems)

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 18 Jun 2014 18:27

I'm sorry, I don't use Amarok, and I simply don't have the time to check it out.
I hope someone else can help you.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 18 Jun 2014 21:51

try to delete amarok's conf files then restart it.

RavenLX

Postby RavenLX » 18 Jun 2014 23:27

Thanks, anyway, schoelje.

@kurotsugi - I moved ~/.kde4/share/apps/amarok to a temporary directory so it's not detectable by amarok and started up amarok (I didn't have it running when I did that anway) and I'm still having the same problems.

I never had this problem in the version that is in the home version. I'm having a lot of trouble with bugs in the BE version so I'm thinking of going back to Home version anyway. There's some bugs in GIMP (I know, unrelated) too that aren't there in the Home version.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 19 Jun 2014 02:50

the config files usually on ~/.config/<app names>.

RavenLX

Postby RavenLX » 19 Jun 2014 13:04

For some reason, it's not in there. I even looked in ~/.config/kde.org as well. There's no amarok configurations or any amorok directory in ~/.config at all. That's why I went to the directory I mentioned above (where I did find the amarok directory).

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 16 Aug 2014 14:31

I haven't used amarok for a while. Can't remember why now but I reinstalled it and it won't play anything.
VLC works so I don't know what is wrong with my amarok.
Googled it and that didn't help.

Edit:
Nevermind I fixed it.
In the Settings for Phonon all I had in there was GStreamer and that wasn't working.
Added VLC then switched backend to that and it is now working.

RavenLX

Postby RavenLX » 16 Aug 2014 16:19

If you use the equalizer to try and improve the sound, you will need gstreamer as the backend as the EQ doesn't work with the VLC backend.

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 16 Aug 2014 16:24

That is what I want to do but it doesn't play when I use gstreamer.
That is what I am trying to fix at the moment.

RavenLX

Postby RavenLX » 16 Aug 2014 16:40

See if you can install gstreamer from the repos? That's about all I can think of that might work. It should have been installed by default though.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 16 Aug 2014 19:00

i don't know if this helps much but in a fairly standard K64-HE amarok has sound both with gstreamer and vlc;
these are the gstreamer lib K64-HE has installed by default

Code: Select all

zerozero@k64 ~ $ dpkg -l | grep gstreamer
ii  gstreamer0.10-alsa:amd64              0.10.36-1.1                     amd64        GStreamer plugin for ALSA
ii  gstreamer0.10-gconf:amd64             0.10.31-3+nmu3                  amd64        GStreamer plugin for getting the sink/source information from GConf
ii  gstreamer0.10-nice:amd64              0.1.7-1                         amd64        ICE library (GStreamer 0.10 plugin)
ii  gstreamer0.10-plugins-base:amd64      0.10.36-1.1                     amd64        GStreamer plugins from the "base" set
ii  gstreamer0.10-plugins-good:amd64      0.10.31-3+nmu3                  amd64        GStreamer plugins from the "good" set
ii  gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly:amd64      0.10.19-2.1                     amd64        GStreamer plugins from the "ugly" set
ii  gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio:amd64        0.10.31-3+nmu3                  amd64        GStreamer plugin for PulseAudio
ii  gstreamer0.10-tools                   0.10.36-1.2                     amd64        Tools for use with GStreamer
ii  gstreamer0.10-x:amd64                 0.10.36-1.1                     amd64        GStreamer plugins for X11 and Pango
ii  gstreamer1.0-plugins-base:amd64       1.2.4-1                         amd64        GStreamer plugins from the "base" set
ii  gstreamer1.0-plugins-good:amd64       1.2.4-1                         amd64        GStreamer plugins from the "good" set
ii  gstreamer1.0-x:amd64                  1.2.4-1                         amd64        GStreamer plugins for X11 and Pango
ii  libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0:amd64 0.10.36-1.1                     amd64        GStreamer libraries from the "base" set
ii  libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0:i386  0.10.36-1.1                     i386         GStreamer libraries from the "base" set
ii  libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-0:amd64  1.2.4-1                         amd64        GStreamer libraries from the "base" set
ii  libgstreamer0.10-0:amd64              0.10.36-1.2                     amd64        Core GStreamer libraries and elements
ii  libgstreamer0.10-0:i386               0.10.36-1.2                     i386         Core GStreamer libraries and elements
ii  libgstreamer1.0-0:amd64               1.2.4-1                         amd64        Core GStreamer libraries and elements
ii  libqtgstreamer-0.10-0:amd64           0.10.2-2.1                      amd64        C++ bindings library for GStreamer with a Qt-style API
ii  libqtgstreamerutils-0.10-0:amd64      0.10.2-2.1                      amd64        QtGStreamerUtils library
ii  libreoffice-avmedia-backend-gstreamer 1:4.2.5-1                       amd64        GStreamer backend for LibreOffice
ii  phonon-backend-gstreamer:amd64        4:4.7.1-1                       amd64        Phonon GStreamer 0.10.x backend
zerozero@k64 ~ $

you don't need all of it but check what you are missing
bliss of ignorance

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 16 Aug 2014 21:44

Z,
Thanks , Looks like I was missing some gstremer packages.
All working now.
Sound and Equalizer.
Dan

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 19 Oct 2014 19:19

When you are a true fan of Amarok then my solution is not for you. What I always do when I install a new distro is to immediately un-install Amarok, since I simply can't work with that program. The so called "intuitive" GUI is a mystery to me.
I use Clementine, a program based on Amarok, but with a much simpler interface. You can make playlists, you can save them, you can recall them, it plays local music on your disk(s), it can connect to a large variety of internet radio-stations, what more do you want? I am happy I found this program since it made listening to music a true delight.
It's available in the repos, so installing is also a piece of cake.

Snap

Postby Snap » 20 Oct 2014 06:09

I also prefer Clementine over Amarok, and Musique over both. Lighter and simpler, and it's in the repos too.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

RavenLX

Postby RavenLX » 20 Oct 2014 13:11

I must be the odd one. I've tried Clementine and hated it. I love Amarok and use it all the time. I can listen to local music, make playlists which I can also create playlists for my MP3 player, organize my music easily, add and listen to tons of podcasts and internet radio stations. And what's more, it's easy to use! After trying Amarok, I would never go back.

I never heard of Musique but since I'm quite happy with the software I use, I really never see any reason to try something else. Amarok has all I need.

RavenLX

Postby RavenLX » 13 Nov 2014 18:35

I'm having the same problem with my system. Amarok will not play anything. The progress bar doesn't even move. Diagnostics show no pulseaudio. Thing is, I do have all the mentioned gstreamer packages installed and even went into the package manager and reselected and reinstalled all the gstreamer packages and rebooted. Still having the same problem.

I installed Audacious (which I'm not a fan of and probably will uninstall it) and I found that I had to set it up to use Alsa output and then select the PulseAudio Sound Server for the PCM device otherwise the volume control in Audacious was muted and wouldn't unmute.

So, how do I get Amarok to use the same settings? There's no way to set up Amarok for a certain sound card, it looks like. I also do not like Clementine (for the same reason I don't like Audacious: both don't have many features in their interfaces). Amarok seems easiest to use. However, VLC also works so I may use that instead.

Also I noticed that if you go into Dolphin and have the "information" panel enabled, then click on a music file (MP3 for example) and then go to play it in the information panel, it does what Amarok does: It won't plan and the progress bar won't move. Maybe this is linked somehow?

Return to “SolydK Business Edition”