Automatic updates

Questions specific to SolydK Business Edition
Fargo

Automatic updates

Postby Fargo » 07 Jul 2014 17:38

I just came across this article that shows how to configure automatic updates for Debian Wheezy. http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-configure-automatic-updates-on-debian-wheezy I didn't know this was possible. Its kind of a nice idea. It could be particularily helpful for systems I setup that are too far away for me to update on a regular basis. It could also make a nice way to setup SolydX BE to be used as a server. I might go ahead and give it a try.

My question here is, should this be made an option for SolydXK BE? It seems like it wouldn't take much to create a small front end for this script and make it a simple check box for the system to do auto updates.

kurotsugi

Re: Automatic updates

Postby kurotsugi » 07 Jul 2014 19:32

I'm a person who get annoyed by window's automatic updates. manual updates also saves me from unnecessary broken system an easier way to "revive" my system when it broke. nevertheless, I can understand the convenience of automatic updates. from a different perspective automatic updates indeed a nice feature for lots of person :3

Zill

Postby Zill » 07 Jul 2014 22:24

Automatic updates are dangerous things at the best of times. With a single (client) computer, the worst that can happen if an auto-update goes wrong is that only one computer is broken. However, if a server auto-update goes wrong then all the connected client computers are broken!

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 07 Jul 2014 23:03

there's 2 ideas here that should never be in the same sentence
automatic updates

server

upgrades in debian stable are not disruptive by nature but one of the system administrator tasks is to review and implement them.
bliss of ignorance

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 08 Jul 2014 06:30

yup...we can't implement the idea on server or our HE version but it seems nice to have that feature on a desktop system :3

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 08 Jul 2014 07:05

Like zz said, automatic updates on a server: big no-no.
On the HEs: too complex (the UM needs the pre-, and post-scripts to get the UPs to work), and will break.
On the BEs: these are intended to be used in a corporate environment. Not having the control over your systems in a risk that can easily be avoided. Although users prefer to use the BE editions at home is a good thing, but it's not the BEs purpose to be another HE.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 09 Jul 2014 22:02

Schoelje wrote:Like zz said, automatic updates on a server: big no-no.
On the HEs: too complex (the UM needs the pre-, and post-scripts to get the UPs to work), and will break.
On the BEs: these are intended to be used in a corporate environment. Not having the control over your systems in a risk that can easily be avoided. Although users prefer to use the BE editions at home is a good thing, but it's not the BEs purpose to be another HE.

I understand your points. I haven't tried the script yet because I do like to have control of my updates. Maybe because I AM using my system for my business. As you mentioned it would be better suited to the user who is using the BE for home purposes. I know there are a number of people doing that. Thats why I thought it might make a nice option. But I can also understand not wanting it for a business system. If the option was there, I am sure businesses would check the box to do auto updates. For better or worse. I'm sure I would. But its not worth my time to go through the script.

Thanks all for the thoughts.

timber

Postby timber » 14 Aug 2014 18:45

I find the current UM to be the ideal method.

1. Complete control of WHEN an update is made (Never an interruption to current applications).
    2. A quick glance to the System Tray lets me know the status (Up-to-date or Update available).
    3. Password protected so others cannot make changes (I am the only one in control of system).
    4. Review of "Information" regarding each update is essential (I've learned to read them prior to action to avoid problems).
    5. Performing an update using UM is an extremely easy and straightforward process (for newbies and seasoned users alike).

I don't think automatic updates should be incorporated into any SolydXK distros but, of course, have no problem with any users tweeking their systems to their liking.
I just happen to loath automatic updates a-la-windoz (T-bird checking for mail automaticly, however, doesn't bother me in the slightest ... go figure, lol).

Dave (aka timber)
timber

Samsung R580-M430 @ 2.27GHz - 8 GB RAM
Geforce 310M w/ nvidia-driver
SolydX/SolydM - Kernel 3.14-2-amd64 - Update Pack: 2014.07.15
SolydK - Kernel 3.14-2-amd64 - Update Pack: 2014.07.15
SolydKBE - Kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64 - LTS Update Pack: 2014.07.15

Return to “SolydK Business Edition”