Another Very Happy SolydKBE user ... & invoicing/accouting

Questions specific to SolydK Business Edition
timber

Another Very Happy SolydKBE user ... & invoicing/accouting

Postby timber » 14 Aug 2014 00:02

Hello Schoelje, ZZ and other members of the SolydXK team,

Just wanted to post to let you know that SolydKBE has been performing flawlessly, with out so much as a hiccup since it's initial release. I use it for work on a regular basis and appreciate the stability and ease of security updates. I also enjoy very much what a well thought out package it is in terms of integration of needed tools.
During this time I've had 'DraftSight' (free CAD program by SolidWorks) installed which makes SolydKBE my complete home office. I use 'LibreOffice Calc' for invoicing, Thunderbird for email, Firefox for research and that's all I really need.
(Gone are the days when I had to use VirtualBox (or dual boot) with Windoz for AutoCAD and QuickBooks ... don't need them any more, SolydKBE does it all, and is a pleasure to use).

Yesterday I installed a second partition using SolydKBE (latest, solydkbe_201407.iso). I use Unetbootin to install via USB which makes it go fast and smooth). This BE install will be used for home use (photo organization, editing, netflix, web, music etc).
The install went very smoothly and slight customization was very easy. I think this install will easily become my most used. I also have SolydK Home Edition and SolydX installed but I've grown to like SolydKBE so much that it natural that I want to use it for more than just work.

Thank You for creating this wonderful, full featured, stable and easy to use distro!

Dave (aka timber)
timber

Samsung R580-M430 @ 2.27GHz - 8 GB RAM
Geforce 310M w/ nvidia-driver
SolydX/SolydM - Kernel 3.14-2-amd64 - Update Pack: 2014.07.15
SolydK - Kernel 3.14-2-amd64 - Update Pack: 2014.07.15
SolydKBE - Kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64 - LTS Update Pack: 2014.07.15

zerozero

Re: Another Very Happy SolydKBE user ... :)

Postby zerozero » 14 Aug 2014 00:44

ohh, my dear :)
how are you doing, Dave?
so long without visiting us :D

very glad to hear from you and know that the BE is doing exactly what it says in the tin :geek:
bliss of ignorance

timber

Postby timber » 14 Aug 2014 02:30

Hi ZZ,

Doing very well, Thank You, you too, I hope!
Appologies for not visiting in so long, been very busy and dealing with unexpected issues (life throws a curve ball every once and a while). All is good.
I hope to be more present here, I do enjoy the company, this is such a wonderful forum. (Best I've ever encountered for sure).

Yes, BE is (by far) the best distro I've ever tried (and I've tried a lot, being the former "distro hopper" that I was).
It's clean, uncluttered but just works ... all while having a pleasant appearance and perfect assortment of packages.

I'm excited about being back, look forward to participating again.

Dave
timber

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 14 Aug 2014 15:59

timber wrote:Yes, BE is (by far) the best distro I've ever tried ... It's clean, uncluttered but just works ... all while having a pleasant appearance and perfect assortment of packages.
Glad you're back, Timber. I had also wondered where you'd wandered off to.. :D

The BE really is in fact Solyd's unsung hero. It's the one I come home to at the end of a day of playing (I've spread myself too thin these days :oops: ). Happy days for me when the Xfce version was announced! :D

I like KDE just as well, but I'm often just looking for the "less busy" feel of Xfce...

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 14 Aug 2014 16:41

zerozero wrote:ohh, my dear :)
how are you doing, Dave?
so long without visiting us :D

very glad to hear from you and know that the BE is doing exactly what it says in the tin :geek:

Thats the problem with the Business Editions. Everything works so well that no one comes by to visit or talk about them. They just keep going and going. This must stop. We must put some bugs in the BE or soon everyone will be happily chugging along with their SolydXK BE and the forums will be quiet. :lol: Obviously I'm joking here. The business editions are great. Its the fact they work so well we all love them.

Timber - Do you have an invoice template or anything you can share. I'd love to get rid of Quickbooks for my business. My invoicing and accounting needs are pretty simple.

timber

Postby timber » 14 Aug 2014 17:28

Fargo wrote:Timber - Do you have an invoice template or anything you can share. I'd love to get rid of Quickbooks for my business. My invoicing and accounting needs are pretty simple.

Yes, I have a template that I use for "Service" type work (no inventory). See attachment (compressed)
I think I found it here http://templates.libreoffice.org/template-center?getCategories=Invoice&getCompatibility=any

Hope it helps, I find it easy to use. KMyMoney works for a very small business (without employees) for keeping records (although I don't find a need to use it). I just file invoices per year and client then add them up at tax time, I try to keep it as simple as possible. :mrgreen:

Fleabus, thanks for the welcome back :)

Dave
Attachments
Example_and_Template_INVOICE.pdf.tar.gz
(72.91 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
timber

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 14 Aug 2014 20:32

Thanks Timber, I'll check that out. I just provide a service as well and have no employees. So I might be able to make it work. Although I do like having an actual software to help with tracking things. I wish Kmymoney had invoicing capability. I understand TurboCash works under wine. Its open source software but there is no Linux version. Maybe Schoelje and other devs can work on that in the future now that bother versions SolydXK are going to be based on Debian Stable.

timber

Postby timber » 15 Aug 2014 00:59

Fargo,

If I find anything close to an integrated, elegant solution to accounting with invoice, I'll let you know ... please do the same.
Right now I'm happy with LibreOffice Calc and no database but would like to see something that works for inventory based and service based small businesses (in KDE).

Hope the invoice template works for you, for now.

Dave
timber

Andrew

Postby Andrew » 18 Aug 2014 04:48

Glad to see another person who likes this edition. :D I installed it on my laptop a couple of weeks ago, & after tweaking a couple of minor things, I love it. So much so I was seriously thinking of installing it on the desktop computer to replace SolydK HE. But now, when they both go "stable" at the end of the year I might leave things as they are.
Desktop: 64bit 2.6gHz dualcore 2G RAM - SolydK HE
Laptop: Dell D630 Latitude; 64bit 2gHz dualcore 2G RAM - SolydK BE

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 18 Aug 2014 06:18

Don't know if this link will be helpful. Just making it available for checking out.

Open Source Replacements for Popular Small Business Software'
http://www.datamation.com/open-source/open-source-replacements-for-popular-small-business-software-1.html

77 Open Source Replacements for Expensive Applications
http://www.datamation.com/open-source/77-open-source-replacements-for-expensive-applications-1.html

The Ultimate Guide to Open Source Software
http://www.datamation.com/applications/the-ultimate-guide-to-open-source-software-1.html

Hope something there to tickle yer fancy. :shock:
Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 18 Aug 2014 16:50

Thanks Orbmiser. The accounting one that I really like is TurboCash http://www.turbocash.net/index.php. I think its the only installable open source invoicing/bookkeeping program I could find. The problem is that its Windows only. There is a small section in the forum stating a Linux version is on the way, but no info as to when. I would love to see a Linux version of this one.

Here is a thought. Since this is open source software, assuming it works with WINE, could a premade wine package be made for this and include it in a BE specific repository? I've seen Picassa included in repos and as far as I know that is Windows software packaged with Wine.

timber

Postby timber » 18 Aug 2014 17:43

Orb:
Thanks for the links.
I'll be looking them over.
Always appreciate more options.

Andrew:
I'll probably always have KBE, KHE and XHE installed and perhaps I'll even try XBE one of these days.
I'd try BO as well but don't think I would know much about the types of software on board.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how BE and HE will be effected when Jessie becomes stable ...
... hasn't quite sunk in yet.

Dave (aka Timber)
timber

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 18 Aug 2014 18:08

timber wrote:I'll probably always have KBE, KHE and XHE installed and perhaps I'll even try XBE one of these days.
I've got all the flavors of Solyd on this machine too. I really enjoy them all...

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 18 Aug 2014 20:49

Dave - sorry if we've hijacked your thread to an invoicing/accounting thread. But I just came across this article about a different java based accounting software called gnuaccounting. http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/smb-technologist/give-this-free-libreoffice-integrated-bookkeeping-package-a-try/ I thought it sounded promising. The actual website for gunaccounting is here http://www.gnuaccounting.org/index.php?id=3 It looks like the software was last updated 3 days ago so the project is definetly still active.

Zero Angel

Re: Another Very Happy SolydKBE user ... & invoicing/accouti

Postby Zero Angel » 18 Aug 2014 21:20

It would be nice to see a shootout between various accounting-related software for linux. GnuCash, KMyMoney, and Skrooge all look promising.

There was also some web-based accounting software that also looked really really good (it used its own service), but I forget what it was called.

timber

Postby timber » 18 Aug 2014 21:31

Fargo wrote:Dave - sorry if we've hijacked your thread to an invoicing/accounting thread.

No prob. (see revised topic). :mrgreen:
I'll take a look at gnuaccounting, I suppose there's always gnucash also, it's in the repositories but I figured it would bring in a ton of libs and files (into SolydKBE) ... I'll check out your link, thanks.

Hi Fleabus,
Yes ... I agree, each of the SolydXK distros brings the best of the best ... I like each of it's distinct flavors (a lot).
Lately I've been drawn to KBE the most, due to it's stability, fewer updates and set of apps that just fit the way I use my laptop.
Perhaps I'm not quite as adventurous as I used to be so ease of use and ease of updates make a lot of sense for me now.

Dave
timber

timber

Postby timber » 18 Aug 2014 21:42

Fargo wrote:But I just came across this article about a different java based accounting software called gnuaccounting. http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/smb-technologist/give-this-free-libreoffice-integrated-bookkeeping-package-a-try/ I thought it sounded promising. The actual website for gunaccounting is here http://www.gnuaccounting.org/index.php?id=3 It looks like the software was last updated 3 days ago so the project is definetly still active.

WOW! Integration with LibreOffice ... I like the sound of this ... must dig deeper and try an install.
Keep me posted on your thoughts if you install, I'll do the same. Thanks, I hadn't see this, glad you found it.

Dave
timber

Zero Angel

Postby Zero Angel » 18 Aug 2014 22:02

timber wrote:WOW! Integration with LibreOffice ... I like the sound of this ... must dig deeper and try an install.

Does look pretty good. I suppose it uses LibreOffice Base as a backend.

My local municipality actually uses 2 different softwares that are based on MSAccess (the MS equivalent ot LO Base). One is a persons database (for mailing addresses, etc), and another is the software that the HR department uses to keep track of employees (Staff Files Pro). They're little more than front-ends to read and write MDB files (Microsoft Access Database). One could likely create similar programs that use LO database instead of MS Access. And that's seems what GnuAccounting is -- a front-end to LO base.

I wouldnt be surprised if you could find other similar programs on the net that have similar functions to are basically interfaces to LO Databases -- one who was so inclined to learn could create their own databases.

timber

Postby timber » 18 Aug 2014 23:19

Hi ZA,
It's nice to have a number of us looking into this, I think it may help fill a nitch (small business owners) of users that want/need to get away from high priced software and go with Open Source alternatives.
Book keeping for a fairly basic small business doesn't need to be extremely complex or even have all the bells and whistles but it does need a few main ingreedients (invoicing is certainly one of these).
I'm hoping I can learn to tie LibreOffice Calc to an app such as gnuaccounting. Then I will have everything I need to run a small business and be able to generate a report come tax time as well as keep the books balanced.

If all goes well, I suggest we present our findings to @Schoelje so he has more solutions for helping out small businesses.
To All: Please keep up this great discussion, it's great to have input from others who want/need easy solutions to basic business needs. (In this case it's basic accounting/ invoicing with an already wonderful business oriented distro, SolydKBE).

Thanks,
Dave (aka timber)
timber

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 21 Aug 2014 03:29

Did you guys look at TurboCash at all? http://sourceforge.net/projects/turbocash/ Its open source and it looks like a pretty complete system. The only problem is its currently Windows only. So we would have to make a custom version with wine to include in the repos.

I agree that if SolydXK is looking for business customers, having invoicing/bookkeeping apps available would be a big advantage. The problem is that there is nothing out there that is decent. It would be cool if the developers could take KMyMoney and add invoicing. I think GnuCash does invoicing but its always felt some cumbersome.

What I'm looking for is something clean and simple like this http://www.avanquest.com/USA/software/bookkeeper-2014-501538?meta=Business-Software&cat=software-for-home-office&sub=small-business-accounting-software. Check out the screenshots. Unfortunately, this is a proprietary WIndows only software. So I guess thats kind of like wishing Quickbooks was available. But it seems like there should be someone else out there that is trying to put something together.

Return to “SolydK Business Edition”