Another Very Happy SolydKBE user ... & invoicing/accouting

Questions specific to SolydK Business Edition
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Another Very Happy SolydKBE user ... & invoicing/accouti

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 21 Aug 2014 06:14

I remembered vaguely an old topic on SiWapp vs FrontAccounting: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=872

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 21 Aug 2014 14:18

I saw SiWapp in the repos and checked out their website a little. It looks decent, but personally I prefer not to do my bookkeeping online. So I am looking for something simple to install and use on my machine.

My needs are pretty simple. I basically just need a personal finance program that can create invoice and reconcile them to the bank statement. I don't need payrolling and things like that. I don't even understand what CRM, ERP and those other things are.

Looking through SourceForge and other places I've come across a number of things that look interesting. But most of them are Windows only. Even the open source stuff. Here are a couple I found for Linux that are interesting but none of them are exactly what I want. But they may be worth looking into for others.

Postbooks - This has a nice clean interface and does CRM, ERP. It has 4 1/2 star rating at SourceForge http://sourceforge.net/projects/postbooks/

Fakturama - The name looks like a dirty word. It took me awhile to figure out what it says. This one looks kind of promissing, but the screenshots are all in German, so I really don't know what it does. http://www.fakturama.org/screenshots.php http://sourceforge.net/projects/faktura ... =directory

I think part of the problem with accounting software is that its not too exciting to code and the tax laws are very different from country to country and change every year. So its really hard to keep up with everything. For this reason the online cross platform stuff will likely be best for bigger companies. But I still think a pluggin for KMyMoney or some other small invoiceing/bank reconciling program should work for smaller businesses. Basically just something to keep track of inflow and outflow of cash and keep customer info.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 21 Aug 2014 14:43

SiWapp is web based and runs on your Apache server (which is installed, and configured with the BO package): no data on-line.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 22 Aug 2014 15:17

Hey guys check out this accounting program: http://www.manager.io/ It looks nice. From reading the description it sounds like it is nicely scalable or customizable to fit many different kinds of businesses. Form browsing the website it looks like its based on Mono. Looking at the license section, it looks like it is built using open source technology. But they don't call it open source software or provide the source code for it. So I am not sure how open it is. It appears the desktop version is free and they offer a server version and a cloud version as well that they charge for. I might download it and look at it next week if I get some time. But we would have to see if they are willing to partner with SolydXK if we were to consider putting it in SolydXK.

timber

Postby timber » 22 Aug 2014 21:06

I checked out SiWapp, installed it and gave it a brief test drive.
I like it but think for invoicing I like LibreOffice Calc just a well. (Using an invoice template which I have customized).
Re: TurboCash, I don't want the hastle of installing/ using under Wine. It's no doubt a nice, full featured program but I would like to see something made for Linux.
I did install gnuaccounting which, written in Java, uses a script to start.

Gnuaccounting, is not what I expected an accounting package to be but seems to be more than meets the eye at first glance. It seems to have the features that I need and should integrate with LibreOffice so hopefully I can use LibreOffice Calc for invoicing (which I already have set up and like).
Gnuaccounting is a tad confusing at first but I think I can learn to use it (going to give it a try for a while).
If I knew more re: bookkeeping principles I'm sure it would be easier.
I'll have to see what documentation there is on it and hopefully find a tutorial or article(s) explaining how to set up and use it properly.

Dave
timber

Samsung R580-M430 @ 2.27GHz - 8 GB RAM
Geforce 310M w/ nvidia-driver
SolydX/SolydM - Kernel 3.14-2-amd64 - Update Pack: 2014.07.15
SolydK - Kernel 3.14-2-amd64 - Update Pack: 2014.07.15
SolydKBE - Kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64 - LTS Update Pack: 2014.07.15

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 22 Aug 2014 22:25

Yeah I'm pretty lost doing accounting as well. I like the idea of GnuAccounting but I get confused looking at the whole spreadsheet. I like to just see the lines I need to fill out like Quickbooks or other accounting software does. I've read post online that people are using Calc or someting to create the invoices and then using Kmymoney to manage the money. I may go that route or try some of these other options yet. I just don't have the time right now to install anything to really check them out.

Return to “SolydK Business Edition”