32-bit and CD-Rom support for BE?

Questions specific to SolydK Business Edition
kikinovak

32-bit and CD-Rom support for BE?

Postby kikinovak » 12 Oct 2014 10:42

Hi,

I'm running a small IT company in South France that's 100 % based on Linux and Free Software, which I'm using exclusively since 2001. Over the years, I've been using the usual suspects among distributions, but mostly Slackware, Debian and CentOS. For my own needs, I've sort of developed my own distribution (http://www.microlinux.fr/mled.php), which is basically Slackware with a collection of extra packages (http://www.microlinux.fr/slackware/).

Yesterday I gave SolydK Business Edition a spin, and I immediately liked it. Curiously enough, it looks more or less like the Debian version of my own Slackware spin. Same choice of packages, same sober default configuration.

One of the reasons I chose Slackware as a base is that I often get confronted with quite obsolete hardware here in South France. Among my clients, I have local town halls, schools, public libraries, local radio stations and the likes, and they're often glad if they can keep their existing dinosaurs: mostly first generation Pentium IVs, sometimes with 512 MB RAM and crappy video cards. For these clients, I also have a "Light" version, also based on Xfce.

Unfortunately, these machines often have only a CD-Rom player, but no DVD support. And of course, they're only 32-bit-capable.

Is there any chance you guys issue a CD-Rom based 32-bit edition of your Business Edition?

Cheers from the flooded South of France,

Niki

Schoelje
Site Admin

Re: 32-bit and CD-Rom support for BE?

Postby Schoelje » 12 Oct 2014 11:16

Hi kikinovak, and welcome to our forum.

Unfortunately, we don't have a CD-ROM version planned.
As soon as Jessie becomes stable (we expect that around May next year), we'll have the 32-bit versions.
Perhaps an external DVD drive could be a solution?

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

kikinovak

Postby kikinovak » 12 Oct 2014 11:29

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. I never tested booting with an external DVD drive. I'll give this a try. I'll also watch out for the upcoming 32-bit version.

Cheers,

Niki

Rocky

Postby Rocky » 12 Oct 2014 13:54

@Schoelje. Following the links in kikinovak's he/she ? seems to have successfully introduced linux based systems to local town halls etc and the general objectives seem very close to your own. Perhaps it would be worthwhile for you to contact kikinovak directly for mutually beneficial discussion ?
"All that glisters is not gold" - Shakespeare "The Merchant of Venice"

kikinovak

Postby kikinovak » 12 Oct 2014 15:23

On first glance, SolydXK BE would seem perfectly apt for installations like I perform them for my clients. The only showstopper ATM being the missing CD-Rom support and a 32-bit Xfce edition. I'll see how I can manage booting on external DVDs.

I'm the only developer on my MLED project, it's very time consuming, and I'd be glad to be able to use an already existing project.

One idea that's crossing my mind... how hard would it be to turn an existing Debian Wheezy minimal install into a SolydK install, for example?

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 12 Oct 2014 15:57

I don't have it documented and no one here I believe will support it but I have done it with a Debian Net install and then installed the packages I wanted and changed the repos to the Solydxk ones.

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 13 Oct 2014 16:26

I'm pretty sure there is a thread around here somewhere how to Solydify Debian to make it more like SolyXK. I don't know what your skill level is or how much time you have to invest, but the tool that Schoelje uses to make SolydXK is available here http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=774. If you decide to make a 32bit version that fits on a CDROM, I think it would be appreciated by many. I'm also sure that Schoelje would be happy to host it as a community edition. Sorry it doesn't get you what you are looking for right away, but it might be a good way to get started and hopefully others will join you in your project.

Rocky

Postby Rocky » 13 Oct 2014 18:36

@kikinovak. I may be mistaken but I seem to recall that it is the intention to have a 32bit xfce version as part of the forthcoming change to stable/BE/EE ?
"All that glisters is not gold" - Shakespeare "The Merchant of Venice"

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 13 Oct 2014 19:11

Rocky wrote:@kikinovak. I may be mistaken but I seem to recall that it is the intention to have a 32bit xfce version as part of the forthcoming change to stable/BE/EE ?

Yes, I believed there will be. The problem for kikinovak is its on a dvd and not a cd.

kikinovak

Postby kikinovak » 13 Oct 2014 21:35

Why not do it like the openSUSE guys? Besides the DVD that contains everything, they also have a bootable CD-Rom which offers essentially the same functionality, but pulls all packages from the Internet. Plus, Debian has the nice Apt-Cacher feature, so downloading everything would only take long on the first client PC.

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 14 Oct 2014 16:12

Here is a suggestion for doing this.
I am not sure of all the problems you might run into doing this but it should work in theory.
I was thinking of remastering a SolydK 64 bit iso and getting it down to CD size but that seemed like a daunting task.
So I decided to take the Debian KDE 64 bit release and Solydify it.
Here is what I did:
Download the Debian KDE 64bit iso from here:
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-cd/

I did this in a Virtualbox so I did not burn it to a CD but you can.
Install the Debian KDE.
After it is installed change the sources.list to The Solydxk sources list you choose. I chose the Production one but I imagine you could choose the BE or any other edition.
Run sudo apt-get install solydxk-keyring
Then do a apt-get update and a apt-get dist-upgrade.
You should now have a base solydk 64bit system.
You could add the other Solydxk specific packages as you wish. Such as Solydk system adjustments etc.
If you install the update manager there may be other packages you may have to manually install.

I am sure this is not recommended or supported so you are probably on your own on this one.

Post any issues you run across and someone might be able to help. I will help if I know the answer.

This is a work in progress so good luck if you try this.
I would be curious to hear from the devs on their spin on trying to make a Solydxk like this.
Please don't flame me.

kikinovak

Postby kikinovak » 14 Oct 2014 16:34

On a side note... I've played around a bit with SolydK BE, and I can't help but notice the striking similarities in approach. We almost have the same preferences for sober artwork and the basic set of best-of-the-breed applications.

http://www.microlinux.fr/mled.php

I guess I'll stay with my own project, since it supports both 32-bit and CD-Rom installations. Nevertheless, kudos to you guys. I really like what you did with Debian.

Cheers from South France,

Niki

Return to “SolydK Business Edition”