SolydK BE

Questions specific to SolydK Business Edition
excollier

SolydK BE

Postby excollier » 05 Jan 2015 15:48

Forgive my ignorance and confusion - I currently run SolydK BE and hope someone can clarify for me what will happen to my OS when Jessie is released, According to the news page, the BE will continue with Wheezy, if this is so it will extend the life of my install until 2016 - correct?
I hope this is the case as I have a very nice stable working set up, and could do with the extra time to configure something to replace it, rather than risk breaking it with an upgrade to Jessie (and that lovely systemd! :roll: )

Fargo

Re: SolydK BE

Postby Fargo » 05 Jan 2015 17:02

I believe that the default will be to upgrade the BE to Jessie as well. However, before that happens you could just make sure to manually point your repositories to Wheezy instead of Stable. Then you will continue to follow Wheezy instead of upgrading to Jessie. I don't think this would cause any issues with SolydXK tools either.

I know Schoelje is busy, but maybe when it comes time to upgrade he will be able to write a script that will give the option of upgrading the BE to Jessie or to keep following Wheezy.

I have an early install of BE and looking in Synaptic, my resources all point to Wheezy or SolydXK. So unless I changed something or SolydXK changed something with later versions, it would seem to me that Scholeje doesn't need to rush the BE over to Jessie right away. He might decide to make sure all the HE transfers take place smoothly to Jessie before he focuses on the BE.

Hopefully he has started some plan for upgrades and will chime in soon.

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 05 Jan 2015 17:17

I don't know the life span of Debian Wheezy.

When the time comes that Jessie becomes the new stable, I'll release a new version of solydxk-system that rewrites any solydxk lines in sources.list to the appropriate Debian lines. Wheeze for BE/BO and Jessie for HE.

You already could change the sources.list to Debian Wheezy. If you're system is up to date, you won't have (m)any updates. In fact, our BE repositories are exact mirrors of Debian Wheezy.

This is how the new sources.list will look like:

Code: Select all

deb http://repository.solydxk.com/ solydxk main upstream import
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-backports main contrib non-free

Note that wheezy-backports is not needed.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 05 Jan 2015 17:27

Schoelje- I found your post a little confusing. Are you saying the BE won't be automatically updated to Jessie when it goes stable, but will stay on Wheezy?

excollier

Postby excollier » 05 Jan 2015 18:10

That's how it looks to me, thanks Schoelje

Rocky

Postby Rocky » 05 Jan 2015 18:45

Schoelje wrote:When the time comes that Jessie becomes the new stable, I'll release a new version of solydxk-system that rewrites any solydxk lines in sources.list to the appropriate Debian lines. Wheeze for BE/BO and Jessie for HE.
I am becoming seriously confused here :? :? :? - the original plan as I understood was that SolydXK would base only on Debian Stable (effectively BE would be the only SolydXK officially supported edition - no HE).

There was initially some talk about an enthusiasts edition (EE) pointing directly to Debian repos but after Schoelje decided to cut back I thought EE was shelved ( subject to Grizzler or the community possibly taking this on - in fact it was pointed out that anyone who wished could simply change their existing repos to Debian Testing subject to understanding that they would have to manage any possible breakages themselves) ?.

In what context therefore does "Jessie for HE" arise ?
"All that glisters is not gold" - Shakespeare "The Merchant of Venice"

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 05 Jan 2015 18:53

Fargo wrote:Schoelje- I found your post a little confusing. Are you saying the BE won't be automatically updated to Jessie when it goes stable, but will stay on Wheezy?
Yes, if you want to upgrade to Jessie, you will have to do that manually. Doing that automatically would impose a big upgrade to people who chose the stability of Wheezy for a reason. It's too much risk. That's why I created this topic: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=5092

SolydXK needs you!

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 05 Jan 2015 19:01

Rocky wrote:
Schoelje wrote:the original plan as I understood was that SolydXK would base only on Debian Stable (effectively BE would be the only SolydXK officially supported edition - no HE).
This is not entirely correct: SolydXK is going to be based on stable as soon as Jessie becomes stable. This way the current HE would naturally move to stable. The nightly builds are already built like this. The current BE/BO users can choose what they need: keep following Wheezy, or upgrade to the new stable Jessie.

Rocky wrote:after Schoelje decided to cut back I thought EE was shelved ( subject to Grizzler or the community possibly taking this on - in fact it was pointed out that anyone who wished could simply change their existing repos to Debian Testing subject to understanding that they would have to manage any possible breakages themselves) ?.
That is correct.

Rocky wrote:In what context therefore does "Jessie for HE" arise ?
See above.

SolydXK needs you!

excollier

Postby excollier » 31 Jan 2015 13:11

If I wait for the Jessie based new ISO, can I just do a fresh install using my existing /home partition and data? (I will back it up first to be on the safe side)

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 31 Jan 2015 14:17

excollier wrote:If I wait for the Jessie based new ISO, can I just do a fresh install using my existing /home partition and data? (I will back it up first to be on the safe side)
I've done so several times during testing. Btw, the ISOs are ready for download from the main site.

SolydXK needs you!

excollier

Postby excollier » 31 Jan 2015 19:15

Thanks, I too have done this before, but it's been a while so I needed to double check.
I downloadeed the new Solydk this afternoon so I will give it a spin asap.

excollier

Postby excollier » 31 Jan 2015 19:42

Update: the new image wont boot properly for me. I have tried usb and dvd but all I end up with is a black screen, so no go for me at the moment.
My hardware, currently running SolydK BE

Code: Select all

ian@sk ~ $ inxi -Fx
System:    Host: sk Kernel: 3.2.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.6.3) Desktop: KDE 4.8.4 (Qt 4.8.2)
           Distro: SolydXK 1 stable
Machine:   Mobo: Gigabyte model: GA-78LMT-USB3 v: x.x Bios: Award v: FA date: 04/23/2013
CPU:       Quad core AMD FX-4350 (-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 33752
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1400 MHz 2: 1400 MHz 3: 1400 MHz 4: 1400 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] ATI RS780L [Radeon HD 3000] bus-ID: 01:05.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.12.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x1024@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS780 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.5 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] ATI RS780 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 3000-3300 Series]
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:05.1
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: 1.0.24
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: ce00 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: eth1 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 74:d4:35:b1:57:e0
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1750.4GB (11.0% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST500LM012_HN size: 500.1GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: ST1000DM003 size: 1000.2GB ID-3: /dev/sdc model: FUJITSU_MHZ2250B size: 250.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 15G used: 9.7G (69%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb1
           ID-2: /home size: 795G used: 170G (23%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb3
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 7.9C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 165 Uptime: 2 min Memory: 596.9/7482.1MB Init: SysVinit runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.7.2
           Client: Shell (bash 4.2.371) inxi: 2.1.28

Not sure what the problem is.
Can't run updates on this system at the moment either, it's telling me there is no network connection, but here i am posting on this forum.
Edit: Well, I tried a different iso on the same usb and it booted ok (Linux Mint 17.1) so the new image doesn't agree with my hardware I guess

Return to “SolydK Business Edition”