[SOLVED] solydxk-system 2.6.2 update error - new problem

Questions specific to SolydK Business Edition
Trebor_G

[SOLVED] solydxk-system 2.6.2 update error - new problem

Postby Trebor_G » 17 Mar 2015 18:40

The update of solydxk-system 2.6.2 is not successfull and the following errors (in bold) are reported.
Any suggestions of how to solve this issue?

[list=]Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
solydxk-system
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
11 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/32.1 kB of archives.
After this operation, 9,216 B of additional disk space will be used.
(Reading database ... 141334 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace solydxk-system 2.0.5 (using .../solydxk-system_2.0.6_all.deb) ...
update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing
Unpacking replacement solydxk-system ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/solydxk-system_2.0.6_all.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/share/python-apt/templates/SolydXK.mirrors', which is also in package solydkbe-system-adjustments 1.3.4
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/solydxk-system_2.0.6_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

[/list]

fleabus

Re: solydxk-system 2.6.2 update error

Postby fleabus » 17 Mar 2015 19:35

I don't know what your final objective was; I was upgrading a SolydKBE install to Wheezy using the instructions in this post:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5246

I ran into the same error.

I solved it by purging solydkbe-system-adjustments, and then continuing from where I left off. I had already installed Solydxk-system, which brought in solydk-info which is also needed. Here I encountered the error you mentioned, and so I purged solydkbe-system-adjustments, then I installed solydk-system-adjustments.

All is well now; solydk-system-adjustments has just now been updated to v2.0.8, which fixed an upgrade issue for me...

Hope this helps.

-- Dave

Trebor_G

Postby Trebor_G » 17 Mar 2015 22:12

Thank you fleabus for your reply.

I first issued the following command to purge solydxk-system:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get --purge remove solydxk-system

Then I issued the following command to install solydk-system-adjustments:

sudo sudo apt-get install solydk-system-adjustments

The update manager now indicates that my system is up to date and it appears that this issue is now resolved.

Thanks again!

See next post of what happened after next reboot ...

Trebor_G

Postby Trebor_G » 18 Mar 2015 23:23

Unfortunately, the issue is now worst!

After booting up today and entering my login, I obtained the following message:

Cannot open theme file /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes/solydk

After clicking on the OK the system freezes and the only exit is a power down!

I should mention that I run Solydk in VMware and don't know where to look to fix this issue.

I then rebooted in recovery mode and went to the above mentioned sub-directory. It does not contain the solydk theme. It contains ariya, circles, horos, joy, oxygen and oxygen-air.

How do I change the boot selected to oxygen?

Zill

Re: solydxk-system 2.6.2 update error - new problem after fi

Postby Zill » 18 Mar 2015 23:58

Trebor_G: Are you running Wheezy or Jessie? Please open a terminal and post the full output of the following command:

inxi -r
The reason I ask is that the error message you have reported appears in the "BE to Jessie upgrade" thread. See the post by schechtman and the reply from grizzler.

Caveat: I don't run SolydK BE myself but, IMHO, I think it would be best to ensure that all the steps listed in the "BE to Wheezy upgrade" post are carried out before following the steps in the "BE to Jessie upgrade" post.

Trebor_G

Postby Trebor_G » 19 Mar 2015 00:14

I am currently running wheezy. The VM is now booted in recovery mode and here is a capture of the inxi -r. I cannot copy and paste from the recovery window.

inxi -r.jpg

Zill

Postby Zill » 19 Mar 2015 10:22

Trebor_G: Thanks for the clarification. This may not be the cause of this particular problem but I do suggest you edit your /etc/apt/sources.list file to remove the line "deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian wheezy main contrib non-free". This duplicates the function of the preceding line and could cause problems with apt-get when updating.

The first post in the thread "BE to Wheezy upgrade" shows the sources.list you should be using. I suggest you double-check to make sure all the steps listed in this post have been carried out on your system.

Trebor_G

Postby Trebor_G » 19 Mar 2015 23:26

Zill: I removed the source you indicated and executed all the steps of the thread in recovery mode, but still no joy.

After rebooting I still get the same message "Cannot open theme file /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes/solydk" and after clicking on the OK button, the system freezes.

It looks like I may have to re-install :(

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 20 Mar 2015 09:32

KDM hasn't been part of SolydK for quiet some time now. I even published a tutorial on how to replace KDM with LightDM: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4368

Make sure you have these installed:

sudo apt install solydxk-system solydk-info solydk-system-adjustments lightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter lightdm-manager

And these removed:

sudo apt purge kdm* solydkbe*

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Trebor_G

Postby Trebor_G » 20 Mar 2015 16:25

Schoelje: Not quite what I expected!
I executed your commands and then rebooted. The login screen is now completely different than what it used to be (see attachment) and when I do login, there is no GUI, just the CLI.
Attachments
NewLogin.jpg
NewLogin.jpg (9.08 KiB) Viewed 2114 times

Zill

Postby Zill » 20 Mar 2015 17:31

Trebor_G: What options do you see if you click on the "down arrow" next to "Default Xsession"?

Trebor_G

Postby Trebor_G » 20 Mar 2015 17:50

Zill: There is no available option when clicking the down pointing arrow. No choice possible!
Not sure why Schoelje asked me to purge kdm since I was using the kde.

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 20 Mar 2015 18:54

KDM has been put to rest since January '14 and hasn't been supported in SolydXK since June '14.

It seems that your system has missed those changes (and perhaps some others that came with each UP) since it's installation and before you spend a lot of time trying to fix what you missed you might consider a re-installation. Preferably a nightly build because they are the most up to date. If you still prefer KDM over LightDM, you can revert by following the second half of the tutorial I mentioned in my previous post.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Trebor_G

Postby Trebor_G » 20 Mar 2015 19:08

Schoelje: I am not really sure what exactly happened, but until the error I reported in my first post, all the updates using the Update Manager were carried out without any problem on a regular basis. So I don't know how I could have missed the changes you mentioned.

Just to clarify, I am not sure about the difference between KDM and KDE. By using SolydK I assume I have the KDE, which is what I have been using since the initial install. LightDM does not seem to be the same desktop environment.

Anyway, I concur with your suggestion to re-install, it is unfortunately becoming too much of a pain to fix this apparently trivial issue.

Zill

Postby Zill » 20 Mar 2015 20:49

Trebor_G wrote:... Just to clarify, I am not sure about the difference between KDM and KDE. By using SolydK I assume I have the KDE, which is what I have been using since the initial install. LightDM does not seem to be the same desktop environment.
SolydK does run the KDE desktop environment and, as such, originally included KDM (the KDE Display Manager). However, as KDE developed further, KDM became less desirable to the point that, with the advent of Plasma 5, KDM was retired.

Although various other display managers are available, LightDM is now used for both SolydK and SolydX as it is a cross-desktop display manager that works well on both systems and this commonality reduces the maintenance requirements.

Note that LightDM is not a "desktop environment" but simply an application to assist logging in to your chosen DE, such as KDE or XFCE.

Trebor_G

Postby Trebor_G » 21 Mar 2015 15:13

Zill: I dowloaded the nightly build of 2015/03/16 and installed it in my VM.

The installation was performed without problem. This was the easy part. Now the more time consuming part is the customization and installation of additional programs I was using. Not always easy to remember all the details. Hopefully I will not have to do it again.

Zill

Postby Zill » 21 Mar 2015 16:10

Trebor_G: I'm pleased that you have got your system working again. :-)

I agree that configuring a newly installed system always takes much longer than the actual basic installation. Of course, good backups are always essential and these earn their keep after a re-install when you can easily refer to the old files in /etc and other system directories.

As my memory has gone from bad to worse over the years, I always keep good notes of every installation and so I can see which tweaks worked (and didn't!) with earlier systems and his helps make sure I remember to install any additional programs.

Anyway, your new SolydK installation should be good for a few more years now and so I trust you will enjoy it!

Would you now please mark the thread as solved to help any other users with a similar query. You need to edit your first post in this thread and add the prefix [Solved] to the title. Only the OP (Original Poster) can do this.

Return to “SolydK Business Edition”