[Done] "Selfmade" Back Office - 32-bit ??

Questions specific to SolydK Back Office
Hubsi_Gberg

[Done] "Selfmade" Back Office - 32-bit ??

Postby Hubsi_Gberg » 16 Jun 2015 21:31

Hello

Schoelje wrote:.........I'm sorry to say that the Back Office edition has been discontinued. It took me a lot of effort and time while there were but a few users interested in the product..........you.

I'm very sorry to read this. That's (nearly) exactly, what I was searching for in the last months in order to get familiar with such an edition. To me it seems to be very complicated to get installed Typo3 and the whole LAMP environment. Therefore such a compilation could be the absolutely perfect distribution for working in the future.

Unfortunately my system still works with 32-bit architecture.

Is there a chance to make or get a 32-bit "selfmade" distribution in SolydX or SolydK with all the programs of "Back Office"?

In the near future I intend got get rid of my Microsoft XP and the CMS "WebtoDate". So I need a suitable alternative for CMS. "WebtoDate" is doing its work only in my system and without any help by an external server. The new CMS should be able to do exactly the same procedure.
SolydK - 64-bit

grizzler

Re: "Selfmade" Back Office - 32-bit ??

Postby grizzler » 17 Jun 2015 10:40

Hubsi_Gberg wrote:Is there a chance to make or get a 32-bit "selfmade" distribution in SolydX or SolydK with all the programs of "Back Office"?
Anything is possible. It's just that it may be too much work... ;)

Joking aside, what is it you need from what the Back Office Edition had to offer, except - apparently - Typo3 with Apache/PHP/MySQL?

A lot can be done with scripting, i.e. you nstall one of the 'ordinary' SolydXK ISOs and run a specially written install script to add (and possibly configure) what extras you need. In my personal experience however, maintaining such a script often isn't worth it.

[An additional note w.r.t. Typo3: I notice the latest version available in the repository is 4.5.19, packaged for Wheezy. That's pretty old. It also isn't really supported anymore, according to the Typo3 website. The current version on the website is 7.3. Not sure why this hasn't been packaged...]
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 17 Jun 2015 11:35

I still have a Back Office system running from when it existed. I haven't used the Packages in a while and haven't updated the machine to know what might happen to those packages.
Maybe Schoelje can supply you or us with the info he used to build the Back Office edition and you could build on that information.

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 17 Jun 2015 11:47

I had to stop with this edition because it is extremely complicated to make packages for web based applications with a MySql database. These packages are no longer in the repository because most of the applications are now newer if you download them from their maintainer's sites.

If you really need them you really should learn how to install and configure LAMP. There are several good tutorials out there.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Hubsi_Gberg

Postby Hubsi_Gberg » 25 Jun 2015 16:30

I'd like to test Typo3 and the whole environment, of course. But I'm fearing a lot of troubles in Installing it "out of the box". This is, why I had the hope to get a fully compilated BackOffice version where the work has already been done ;)

But now annother distribution I've used up to now causes troubles (Fedora 21). Therefore I decided to uninstall it completely. I think, I'm going to install SolydK instead and then I'm going to install Typo3 - or maybe WordPress. I hope I will be successful.

Thanks for your help.
SolydK - 64-bit

Schoelje
Site Admin

Re: [Done] "Selfmade" Back Office - 32-bit ??

Postby Schoelje » 25 Jun 2015 18:27

To get you started, you'll probably have to install these packages before you start with Typo3:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install apache2 mysql-server php5 php5-mysql php5-memcache php5-curl php-soap php5-imap memcached php5-gd php-pear php5-ldap debconf dbconfig-common

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ilu

Re: [Done] "Selfmade" Back Office - 32-bit ??

Postby ilu » 25 Jun 2015 19:55

From the informations you have given us, I will try to give you solid advice. Please be kind if my assumptions are wrong.

In the near future I intend got get rid of my Microsoft XP and the CMS "WebtoDate". So I need a suitable alternative for CMS.

Web2Date is a simple CMS with very limited functions designed with the unexperienced user in mind. It was probably the right tool for your task. Typo3 might be a CMS too - but that's all those two programs might have in common. If Web2Date would be a ... let's say ... mountain bike, then typo3 would be a Boeing 747. It's optimized for huge websites with thousands of pages, administered by editorial teams with a dozen or hundreds of members. The administrator should ideally be a professional computer admin or at least a very dedicated enthusiast.

To me it seems to be very complicated to get installed Typo3 and the whole LAMP environment.

If you feel uncomfortable with installing a LAMP environment you shouldn't even try typo3. You won't get anything done. Believe me, I've tried and I had no trouble installing and configuring the LAMP environment. And I attended courses in typo3 management. All those lessons gave me an idea what would be possible with typo3 but after hours of practice I never got further than setting up a simple website.

As a side note: The typo3 team split up recently and is now following different courses. Atm nobody really knows where typo3 will end up. It might be a sinking ship.

"WebtoDate" is doing its work only in my system and without any help by an external server. The new CMS should be able to do exactly the same procedure.

This doesn't sound like you even need typo3. There are a lot of tools which are certainly better equipped to get your work done. If you really want a professionally sized CMS you should consider Joomla.
But it would be even better if you described what exactly you used Web2Date for and what exactly you want to get done in the future. I'm sure somebody here could name you very good alternatives that probably don't require LAMP and that certainly don't have the steep learning curve that typo3 has.

Return to “SolydK Back Office”