Asunder not producing mp3s

Questions about software.
dirigible

Asunder not producing mp3s

Postby dirigible » 23 Jul 2017 08:56

I've just tried ripping tracks off an audio CD with Asunder in KDE.
Selected all 9 tracks.
It's a demo CD so I typed in the artist and album names manually and them clicked the [Rip] button.
Asunder created the folder but at the end of the process the target directory was empty.
So I tried it again with the file browser open. What I see is a wave file appears for each song and is then deleted. The mp3s don't seem to ever get created.

Is Asunder broken for everyone using KDE, or is it just me?
SolydK 64bit Home Edition.

ilu

Re: Asunder not producing mp3s

Postby ilu » 23 Jul 2017 14:49

Is lame installed? Check with "dpkg -l *lame*.

dirigible

Postby dirigible » 24 Jul 2017 09:37

Code: Select all

rob@robs-desktop-pc ~ $ dpkg -l *lame
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                    Version          Architecture     Description
+++-=======================-================-================-===================================================
un  glame                   <none>           <none>           (no description available)
un  gstreamer0.10-lame      <none>           <none>           (no description available)
un  gstreamer1.0-lame       <none>           <none>           (no description available)
ii  lame                    1:3.99.5-dmo3    amd64            Open source MP3 encoder
un  toolame                 <none>           <none>           (no description available)
Looks like it's there.
K3B rips OK so I think the problem is with Asunder.
I'm wondering if it's working properly for anyone else.

ilu

Postby ilu » 24 Jul 2017 14:26

You'll probably get more answers in a specialized forum. Asunder doesn't seem to have one. I always use K3B although I'm not on KDE.
Is there an advantage of Asunder (if it works) over K3B?

dirigible

Postby dirigible » 25 Jul 2017 10:45

It finds track titles and automatically names the resulting mp3s.
I don't know if K3B can do that.
A few years ago when I installed a new car stereo capable of playing music from a memory stick I used Asunder to rip my favorite music.
Perhaps it failed because this time it was not a store bought CD?

srq2625

Postby srq2625 » 25 Jul 2017 11:04

dirigible wrote:It finds track titles and automatically names the resulting mp3s.
I don't know if K3B can do that.
A few years ago when I installed a new car stereo capable of playing music from a memory stick I used Asunder to rip my favorite music.
Perhaps it failed because this time it was not a store bought CD?

FWIW :
  • The track naming feature is a function of an on-line database search. Rippers such as k3b and asunder (and a few others), by default, are configured to use the same database and it's, generally, pretty good.
  • I have noted that k3b will rip CDs that asunder just shrugs it's shoulder at.
  • For those CDs that both asunder and k3b will rip, k3b will do it much more quickly and the generated MP3 seems pretty good. Though I've not actually inspected the generated MP3 for sampling rate, etc.
  • It might just be me, but I've not yet found where one can customize, within k3b, the sampling rate, compression, etc of the generated MP3.
Just Scott

Remember that life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away!
-- Vicki Corona (Tahitian Choreographies, 1989)

tardy

Postby tardy » 26 Jul 2017 08:03

srq2625 wrote:
dirigible wrote:It might just be me, but I've not yet found where one can customize, within k3b, the sampling rate, compression, etc of the generated MP3.[/list]

In Solyd8 (jessie), it's not very intuitive: you go to System Settings > Multimedia > Audio CDs, where you will find the settings in the "MP3 Encoder" tab.

I haven't upograded my Solyd installs to Solyd9 yet, but in a different distro install I have, the Plasma 5 version of K3b now has the settings available from within the application itself (K3b > Settings > Configure K3b > Plugins > K3b Lame MP3 Encoder) -- I assume this will also be the case in Solyd9.

ilu

Postby ilu » 26 Jul 2017 10:06

In SolydX8 don't look for "System settings" but go into K3B - Settings - Configure - Plugins - External Audio Encoder and add/edit your settings for lame using the right terminal command.

tardy

Postby tardy » 26 Jul 2017 11:45

^^ Well I'll be. Either that method wasn't available in the past, or I ended up doing it the hard way for no good reason.

My bet is on the second option. :D

Back to the OP's queston about Asunder - I just installed it and ripped a CD without problems (it was a slow process, though). Again, I note that I am on Solyd8 still.

Return to “Software”