Update manager - some remarks

Questions about software.
dclement

Update manager - some remarks

Postby dclement » 06 Apr 2019 10:06

Hello all, I have e couple a questions about the update manager. But let me first tell as a new user that I love it: it's light, snappy, kicks in awesome fast, and it's completely unobtrusive. It's everything an update manager should be.

Now, it's not completely localized in French. Let me show some screenshots (sorry, couldn't manage to integrate them with bbcode):

The notification is not localized (but it may be a problem of the notification system).

The main window before updating misses some translations too.

(I can very well provide French translations if someone points me to the proper files.)

After that it's OK but there's still something weird:

This confirmation dialog typically needs to be clicked twice to close. No problem once you know it, but on 2 or 3 occasions I got something more serious: this window came up, and I couldn't close it or recover without a complete reboot. I've not seen it in the past 6 weeks or so, though.

So, nothing very serious (just feedback), and please tell me if I can help translating. BR, Daniel

ilu

Re: Update manager - some remarks

Postby ilu » 06 Apr 2019 15:55

Problems with the update manager need to be reported upstream here: https://github.com/hughsie/PackageKit. Have a look at the file fr.po in the directory named "po". If the correct translations are already there we'll get them with the next Debian upgrade in summer.

Click twice: yeah me too. I got used to it. :roll:

The unclosable window: packagekit needs silent updates. If anything needs user input for whatever reason the thing hangs. This does not happen often but the debian backend should be configured in a way that no user input is needed. I'm not sure where to report that problem because aptcc and debconf are involved and I don't know what happens where. It might also be a malconfigured package. Just reporting it without precise information won't help so reboot it is :( .

Unfortunately packagekit development is stalled https://blogs.gnome.org/hughsie/2019/02 ... hing-else/ but bugfixes should still be cared for - has anybody seen this misbehavior on SolydXKEE?

dclement

Re: Update manager - some remarks

Postby dclement » 08 Apr 2019 19:11

ilu wrote:
06 Apr 2019 15:55
Problems with the update manager need to be reported upstream here: https://github.com/hughsie/PackageKit. Have a look at the file fr.po in the directory named "po". If the correct translations are already there we'll get them with the next Debian upgrade in summer.
Thanks for showing me this file, which I never would have found alone. I downloaded it and made a search;; it looks like this po file does not contain the English strings in my screenshots. So it's not just a matter of filling a line with a missing translation. I'll try and post a bug report on github.
Click twice: yeah me too. I got used to it. :roll:
Hey, today it was single-click!
The unclosable window: packagekit needs silent updates. If anything needs user input for whatever reason the thing hangs. This does not happen often but the debian backend should be configured in a way that no user input is needed. I'm not sure where to report that problem because aptcc and debconf are involved and I don't know what happens where. It might also be a malconfigured package. Just reporting it without precise information won't help so reboot it is :( .
I thought this was no simple matter.
Unfortunately packagekit development is stalled https://blogs.gnome.org/hughsie/2019/02 ... hing-else/ but bugfixes should still be cared for [snip]
I was rather surprised when I read this. I hope that SolydXK will manage to remain more or less the same in spite of that!

Return to “Software”