(No) LibreOffice problem with AppArmor

Questions about software.
ilu

(No) LibreOffice problem with AppArmor

Postby ilu » 14 Aug 2019 09:57

There's a problem wit LibreOffice and AppArmor on KDE.
Libreoffice: 'ERROR 4 forking process' exactly ís the terminal output.
I remember LO working in a live SolydK-session. I need to recheck on a clean install whether or not this issue is specific for my configuration, before creating a separate topic on this.
I did find several hits on this error with LO, but none of them led me to a solution so far..
That being said, LibreOffice starts up alright on SolydX. Try to start from terminal and post the results in a new topic.
On a clean SolydX 10 install in VB I did not have any problems with Libreoffice. Perhaps because I decided to format the home partition?
I found that the problem with starting Libreoffice is related to apparmor being enabled by default on buster.
Many pages on the net suggest that the problem has already been resolved in the latest Apparmor version, but clearly in an up-to-date buster system the problem still exists.
I followed this instruction to completely uninstall apparmor https://forums.puri.sm/t/libreoffice-no ... erday/4685

Code: Select all

apt-get -y purge apparmor*
After that, reboot the system and Libreoffice starts just fine!
I won't suggest this is a solution, it's a workaround - but to me it's the solution ;-)
Bas_otten, did you reuse your old home or was it a clean buster install?

Also, could you look at this bug report ERROR 4 forking process? It should have been fixed. You could have had an outdated profile. Maybe an apparmor reinstall would fix it?

ilu

Re: LibreOffice problem with AppArmor

Postby ilu » 16 Aug 2019 01:13

Since none of the KDE users came forward to check this I installed a SolydK VM and tested this myself.
Result: I can't find any problem with Libreoffice.

bas_otten, your problem must have somehow resulted from your config.

bas_otten

Re: (No) LibreOffice problem with AppArmor

Postby bas_otten » 16 Aug 2019 07:59

ilu wrote: bas_otten, your problem must have somehow resulted from your config.
Last night I performed the same steps as you did:
  • in a live SolydK session LO runs fine
  • after doing a clean install LO runs fine
  • after restoring my old homedir/profile, LO still runs fine
  • after running my personal install+config scripts (which, for that matter, do nothing directly related to LO), LO errors out unless I purge apparmor
It is somewhat of a mystery to me, hopefully I will sort it out at some point.

Return to “Software”