[SOLVED]Kernel Issue?

Questions about software.
Karl

[SOLVED]Kernel Issue?

Postby Karl » 04 Oct 2013 09:46

Vital Information:-

SolydK 64-bit Update Pack 2013.09.06 [PRODUCTION]; dual boot with WinXp; desk-top setup.

Code: Select all

karl@solydk64 ~ $ inxi -Fc 0
System:    Host: solydk64 Kernel: 3.10-2-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE 4.11.1 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux jessie/sid
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P5GC-MX/1333 version: Rev x.xx Bios: American Megatrends version: 0310 date: 12/24/2007
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU E6550 (-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1998.00 MHz 2: 1998.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 210] X.Org: 1.12.4 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1360x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: GeForce 210/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 304.88
Audio:     Card-1: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Card-2: NVIDIA High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.10-2-amd64
Network:   Card: Qualcomm Atheros Attansic L2 Fast Ethernet driver: atl2 
           IF: eth1 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:1e:8c:c2:b1:de
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (1.7% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST31000524AS size: 1000.2GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 20G used: 6.2G (34%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 296G used: 9.3G (4%) fs: ext4 
           ID: swap-1 size: 8.59GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 28.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 46C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 2122 sys-1: 0 
Info:      Processes: 143 Uptime: 8 min Memory: 574.6/3399.8MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.9.12

karl@solydk64 ~ $ cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
Auto-Login is enabled.

In
kate /etc/default/grub
I changed time-out from 5sec (default) to 90seconds

I am using a 32" LCD TV as monitor (native screen resolution 1360x768).

I used the DDM for downloading/installing the NVIDIA driver, and since my desired screen resolution (1360x768) was not listed in the drop-down menu of NVIDIA X Server Settings X Server Display Configuration, used the workaround/method as posted by "nerd65536" in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... st12304338

I am not very familiar using the correct technical jargon 'cum' terminologies in relation to Linux systems.

My challenge:
Ever since installing Update Pack 2013.09.06 I am experiencing frequent 'hanging/stopping' when booting the system.
The login (boot process) is basically in two stages viz:

1. the screen shows a running-bar which runs smoothly and stops about 4/5 of its running lenghth - the screen then immediately changes to

2. an almost idendical screen in which the running bar has already progessed 1/4 of its running lenght and then progesses in a 'jumping' manner. Sometimes all the way to the end (which is good) but sometimes it just stops (which is not so good), refuses to move any further and I am forced to press the reboot botton on my computer.

Occasionally, the booting process is already 'hanging/stopping' at "stage 1".

My GNU GRUB menu (version 1.99-27+deb7u1) still indicates the availablity of the old kernel SolydXK GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.9-1amd64. I attempted to use this kernel but the system won't boot at all.

Aside from that bothersome issue the system is running without any problems.

Request assistance to enable a smoother and reliable booting process. Thanks in advance.

twa

Re: Kernel Issue?

Postby twa » 04 Oct 2013 11:13

Hi Karl,
give a look at this: http://smxi.org/site/install.htm
and let the script take care of everything.
Read well the documentation first: http://smxi.org/docs/
On all the Debian distro I installed I always used the smxi / sgfxi scripts with my NVidia card. Never had problems.
I'm using SolydX with Liquorix kernel 3.11.2
:D

Karl

Postby Karl » 06 Oct 2013 07:29

Hi twa

Thanks for posting a response.

"Developer Information - This material is only for advanced testers, developers, and people who want to try hacking a bit on the scripts."

I don't belong to this category and am reluctant to progress with this. I don't even know what's that all about and would've thought that the author(s) of SolydXK did include all this prior issueing an iso image.

(Oh boy, do I dread the day when the support for WinXP ends!)

I only hope that kernel version 3.10-3 in UP 2013.10.06 12:00 UTC is going to take care of my problem and am eagerly awaiting for the system update icon to change from "green" (Your system is up to date) to "blue" (Updates available).

Thanks again...

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 06 Oct 2013 12:39

Karl,
I am not a great troubleshooter with linux yet (Still learning how to) but I will give it a try.
When your system is booting hit the Esc key and you can see the various items that are loading. Some go by pretty fast.
You might be able to see what one is hanging. Also I know there is a log file that lists all the items that are loading but I don't remember where to find that.
Someone else here might be able to help with that.
Thanks
Dan

Karl

Postby Karl » 06 Oct 2013 23:15

Hi Dan,
Thanks for your post. I am going to try your suggestion hitting the Esc key when system is booting and definitely will post the outcome. Maybe the updated kernel will solve this issue...
Thanks again.
Cheers... Karl.

The update went well.
Hitting the Esc key when the system is booting does not produce any output on the monotor.
The new kernel did not solve the my original login behaviour but changed into another mode.
Here are some of the messages I was able to capture (it happens all so fast):
"TCS calibration failed... "
"Fast TCS calibration failed..."
"Error unexpectedly disconnected from boot status daemon..."
Cheers... Karl.

twa

Postby twa » 07 Oct 2013 18:14

Karl,
I understand your fears, since I had them at the beginning but it is less difficult than what you think.
Once you learn how it works is a fantastic tool.
You can always install smxi, configure it as you want and go to the end of the script without having to install / upgrade anything; or install an older kernel, or the Debian kernel, or the kernel Liquorix (I have the 3.11 version).
After installing the new kernel you will need to install the new graphics drivers available for your NVidia card, without exiting smxi.
If you still have problems at boot and you have the grub recovery mode, as root
you can either run smxi again and revert back to an older kernel or run sgfxi.
The setups can be changed / modified any time going in miscellaneous tweaks>advanced options and delete the /etc/smxi.conf folder.
Cheers

Karl

Postby Karl » 09 Oct 2013 21:37

twa wrote:Karl,
I understand your fears, since I had them at the beginning but it is less difficult than what you think.
Once you learn how it works is a fantastic tool.
You can always install smxi, configure it as you want and go to the end of the script without having to install / upgrade anything; or install an older kernel, or the Debian kernel, or the kernel Liquorix (I have the 3.11 version).
After installing the new kernel you will need to install the new graphics drivers available for your NVidia card, without exiting smxi.
If you still have problems at boot and you have the grub recovery mode, as root
you can either run smxi again and revert back to an older kernel or run sgfxi.
The setups can be changed / modified any time going in miscellaneous tweaks>advanced options and delete the /etc/smxi.conf folder.
Cheers
Thanks again, twa.
Since the latest UP update I am getting now various error messgaes when booting the system (as posted here) and am not sure if smxi is revelant to this.
Cheers...

kyodev

Postby kyodev » 10 Oct 2013 06:40

hello Karl
perhaps you can start to disable plymout (if installed) and post us the boot and xorg log

start debian-plymouth-manager, select <none: no plymouth splash>, set plymouth theme, close, reboot.
can you after a normal boot run this and post us in attachment the files

sudo cp /var/log/boot.log ./boot.log.txt
chown yourUserName boot.log.txt
cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log ./xorg.log.txt
chown yourUserName xorg.log.txt
can you post the results of

inxi -SGxxx
if you boot fails, try to type Ctrl+Alt+F1 and log as root, type the commands above, type reboot (warning the files will be in directory /root at the next reboot and post us the files

if the boot fails permanently, but you can have a console (Ctrl+Alt+F1) try this:

mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
reboot
and say us.

Karl

Postby Karl » 10 Oct 2013 20:38

kyodev wrote:hello Karl
perhaps you can start to disable plymout (if installed)
I really am having a hard time following you. The only 'extra' applications I ever installed are Conky and FreeOffice-SoftMaker. Conky was removed successfully prior the recent UP.
I just discovered that am unable opening spreadsheets saved to an external drive, the desktop just 'freezes' and Dolphin file manager is not responding. I had to press the re-start button on my computer to get out of this situation logging in to WinXP to access my external drive. Am I glad for having an other OS on my system installed. It seem that the recent UP fixed some of my recent issues with SolydK but messed up other things.

Karl

Postby Karl » 10 Oct 2013 20:43

kyodev wrote:hello Karl
can you post the results of

inxi -SGxxx

karl@solydk64 ~ $ inxi -SGxxx
System:    Host: solydk64 Kernel: 3.10-3-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.7.3) 
           Desktop: KDE 4.11.2 (Qt 4.8.6) info: plasma-desktop dm: kdm Distro: SolydXK 1 testing
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 210] bus-ID: 04:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0a65 
           X.Org: 1.12.4 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1360x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: GeForce 210/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 304.108 Direct Rendering: Yes
karl@solydk64 ~ $

kyodev

Postby kyodev » 11 Oct 2013 07:26

I see you have the last kernel and driver installed.
plymouth sometimes is delicate. If you dont want it, you can removed it. I can explaim how later if you want.
now, I imagine you can start in normal session? can you in terminal execut this:

su
cp /var/log/boot.log /home/karl/boot.log.txt
chown karl boot.log.txt
cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log /home/karl/xorg.log.txt
chown karl xorg.log.txt
and post this 2 files in attachment (xorg.log.txt & boot.log.txt)

Karl

Postby Karl » 11 Oct 2013 21:24

kyodev wrote:I see you have the last kernel and driver installed.
Yes, I know. I believe the installation of the latest UP triggered this change.
kyodev wrote:plymouth sometimes is delicate. If you dont want it, you can removed it.
I don't know what plymouth does nor would I know if I needed it. Why would the author of SolydXK include a troublesome plymouth...?
SolydXK aims to be simple in use, providing an environment that is both stable and secure.
kyodev wrote:I can explaim how later if you want.
No, not really, I just want a stable, usable operating system.
kyodev wrote:now, I imagine you can start in normal session?
I did explain the booting process earlier and would say that it is anything but normal.
kyodev wrote:can you in terminal execut this:

su
cp /var/log/boot.log /home/karl/boot.log.txt
chown karl boot.log.txt
cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log /home/karl/xorg.log.txt
chown karl xorg.log.txt
and post this 2 files in attachment (xorg.log.txt & boot.log.txt)
I followed your instructions to the letter, here are the terminal outputs:
karl@solydk64 ~ $ su
Password:
solydk64 karl # cp /var/log/boot.log /home/karl/boot.log.txt
solydk64 karl # chown karl boot.log.txt
solydk64 karl # cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log /home/karl/xorg.log.txt
solydk64 karl # chown karl xorg.log.txt
solydk64 karl #

kyodev

Postby kyodev » 12 Oct 2013 09:06

Karl wrote:Yes, I know. I believe the installation of the latest UP triggered this change.
I can confirm it
I don't know what plymouth does nor would I know if I needed it. Why would the author of SolydXK include a troublesome plymouth...?
:) it"s not the Solyd's author who are crazy ;) it's a common pratice on linux distros. it's provide a beautiful screen at boot, but also, sometimes, problems... and slow a little the boot. If you don't want it:

apt purge plymouth*
solydk64 karl # cp /var/log/boot.log /home/karl/boot.log.txt
prefect, now you have 2 files in your home karl: boot.log.txt and xorg.log.txt.
you cant post it in attachment

Karl

Postby Karl » 13 Oct 2013 12:26

kyodev wrote:
Karl wrote:Yes, I know. I believe the installation of the latest UP triggered this change.
I can confirm it
:) it"s not the Solyd's author who are crazy ;)
I never sugested nor implied that the author of SolydXK is 'crazy'!
kyodev wrote:it's a common pratice on linux distros. it's provide a beautiful screen at boot, but also, sometimes, problems... and slow a little the boot. If you don't want it:

apt purge plymouth*
Well, 'beautiful' can be subjective and ambigious and I am somewhat happy with the booting time. The problem is: "Ever since installing Update Pack 2013.09.06 I am experiencing frequent 'hanging/stopping' when booting the system." This I had communicated in my original thread. The problem persist even though I purged plymouth. But all the purging did is removing the splash screen (not sure about the terminology), replacing it with a screen full of text and it seems that the 'Fast calibration' issue is no more. The login screen (the one with the running progress bar) is still the same and is behaving as before.
Also, the system will not boot when choosing previous kernel versions. What is a safe way to remove these?

kyodev

Postby kyodev » 14 Oct 2013 07:10

kyodev wrote:prefect, now you have 2 files in your home karl: boot.log.txt and xorg.log.txt.
you cant post it in attachment
if you don't share this files, how can we help?
I never sugested nor implied that the author of SolydXK is 'crazy'!
don't be afrais, when I use a smiley, it's a joke.
now we know that plymouth isn't the problem.
Also, the system will not boot when choosing previous kernel versions. What is a safe way to remove these
for now, I advise you to keep it. it's perhaps a little difficult to remove by hand. you can hide it with:
http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=1505
in near moment, perhaps it will be a kernel-remover to remove it easily.

Karl

Postby Karl » 14 Oct 2013 12:00

kyodev wrote:if you don't share this files, how can we help?
Because I can't figure out how to attach files to a forum thread.
kyodev wrote:don't be afrais, when I use a smiley, it's a joke.
Okay, I am trying not to be fearful.
kyodev wrote:now we know that plymouth isn't the problem.
How can I re-install plymouth to SolydK?
The 'Fast calibration' issue is back and 'failed' again, oh well.
Also, the system will not boot when choosing previous kernel versions. What is a safe way to remove these
kyodev wrote:for now, I advise you to keep it. it's perhaps a little difficult to remove by hand. you can hide it with:
http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=1505
in near moment, perhaps it will be a kernel-remover to remove it easily.
To keep for what? As far as I'm concerned the old kernels are useless. But really don't mind holding on for a while; Ubuntu Tweak has got a nice 'janitor' function...
Would this work?

sudo apt-get -y purge $(dpkg --get-selections | awk '((/^linux-/) && (/[0-9]\./) && (!/'"`uname -r | sed "s/-generic//g"`"'/)) {print $1}')

Karl

[SOLVED] Kernel Issue?

Postby Karl » 23 Oct 2013 23:28

Removed and re-installed SolydK64... All appears to be okay.

Return to “Software”