Automatic Updates

Questions about software.
Shinobi_1986

Automatic Updates

Postby Shinobi_1986 » 05 May 2014 17:23

Hello everyone.
I just installed SolydK based upon Debian testing, and I have to say that I really like it.
I just have a question: Is there a way to install all available updates automatically through the update manager?
Is there a way to do this in SolydKBE if it is impossible under the home user version?
I already had a look at the update manager but didn't find an option for automatical updates.
I really need this option, because I have to install a Linux for some relatives and I won't have time to log into their systems remotely all the time just to do some updates. So it would be great to have a way to install updates automatically, without any questions to the user and automatically accepting licenses and so on.
I look forward to read from you.
Thanks in advance :)

-Shinobi

crborga

Re: Automatic Updates

Postby crborga » 07 May 2014 20:15

I don't think the update manager supports this but you can do it another way.
http://www.debianadmin.com/automatic-up ... n-apt.html

This should be equivalent since the updates pushed to Production are the same whether using Update Manager or apt.

MoldMe

Postby MoldMe » 07 May 2014 22:34

crborga wrote: This should be equivalent since the updates pushed to Production are the same whether using Update Manager or apt.
The repos are the same (where the packages are pulled), but the method used to pull those updates may have different results based on this post by zerozero...http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php ... 772#p34773

@OP...I may get flamed for making this response, but in the situation you have presented, maybe a better idea would be to get them a Mac and teach them how to use and update OS X. I think that would be easier, IMO. As much as I like Linux, it's not for everyone.

CrunchBang -- Siduction -- SolydBang (Openbox, Tint2, most of XFCE4 removed, CrunchBang scripts)

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 07 May 2014 22:54

@MoldMe - This >> :D << is about as close to getting flamed as you should EVER get on this forum !!

And you're right - Linux isn't for everyone though The Dev Team (see the "all caps" - they're that good! ) are doing their best to bring their vision of Linux to the masses.

Seriously - for some, the idea of a Mac and OS X is the right idea.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

MoldMe

Postby MoldMe » 08 May 2014 01:12

@ScottQuier...I'm very much impressed with the civility I've experienced in the SolydXK forums so far. For me, lack of civility in a distro's forums can be a deal breaker for me when using a distro.

CrunchBang -- Siduction -- SolydBang (Openbox, Tint2, most of XFCE4 removed, CrunchBang scripts)

crborga

Postby crborga » 08 May 2014 22:42

I thought it all was done automatically through apt. The update-managers backend is apt so I don't understand why this would be a problem. Is there some scripting done through the update manager not available via apt?

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 09 May 2014 01:17

The dist-upgrade is done automagically, once the user starts the process. To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing in the standard, vanilla SolydXK install that will start the dist-upgrade process on any scheduled (or other) basis. It's all driver by when the user wants the action to take place.

The OP request/question was something along the lines of "Is there a way to have this process run on a schedule without user intervention?"
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

crborga

Postby crborga » 09 May 2014 03:53

Yeah, I know but I was trying to provide a alternative working solution. So if it's the apt-get dist-upgrade, he could make a cron job with apt-get dist-upgrade.

MoldMe

Postby MoldMe » 09 May 2014 06:09

Based on what the OP posted, I don't think Linux is the answer for the end user(s). They don't seem like the type of people who want to understand apt, aptitude, command line, etc. That's why I suggested a Mac.

A cron job might work, but what happens when things don't work right. Would the end users know what to do? No, since someone with Linux knowledge isn't close by, it's probably best not to travel down that road. Just my humble opinion.

crborga

Postby crborga » 15 May 2015 18:57

MoldMe wrote:Based on what the OP posted, I don't think Linux is the answer for the end user(s). They don't seem like the type of people who want to understand apt, aptitude, command line, etc. That's why I suggested a Mac.

A cron job might work, but what happens when things don't work right. Would the end users know what to do? No, since someone with Linux knowledge isn't close by, it's probably best not to travel down that road. Just my humble opinion.
Lol My bad I thought he meant for himself. I missed that part of the post.

Return to “Software”