[SOLVED] Using Package(s) from Debian Testing/Unstable

Questions about software.
MoldMe

[SOLVED] Using Package(s) from Debian Testing/Unstable

Postby MoldMe » 07 May 2014 22:30

Currently, Gnu Privacy Assistant (gpa) is not available in the SolydXK or Debian Testing repos. I'm considering pulling the package from the Debian Unstable repo.

What are the repercussions of doing this? I know it may introduce possible breakage. If and when gpa becomes available in the SolydXK repos, what would be the procedure to install that package and make sure that future upgrades only pull from the SolydXK repos? Would a simple apt-get purge or aptitude purge and then re-install suffice?

CrunchBang -- Siduction -- SolydBang (Openbox, Tint2, most of XFCE4 removed, CrunchBang scripts)

zerozero

Re: Using Package(s) from Debian Testing/Unstable

Postby zerozero » 07 May 2014 23:09

this >> http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2769 is probably (AFAIK) the best option for that;

this way you don't to uninstall/purge/reinstall the package(s)
bliss of ignorance

MoldMe

Postby MoldMe » 07 May 2014 23:46

Thank you for the link, zerozero. That's a nice tutorial and affirms what I was planning to do. However, your tutorial doesn't address my question of what to do down the road if one decides to use the same package from the SolydXK repos versus the Testing/Unstable repos. I only want to install and use gpa from Debian Unstable until it becomes available in the SolydXK repos.

CrunchBang -- Siduction -- SolydBang (Openbox, Tint2, most of XFCE4 removed, CrunchBang scripts)

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 08 May 2014 05:54

If and when gpa becomes available in the SolydXK repos, what would be the procedure to install that package and make sure that future upgrades only pull from the SolydXK repos?
in a normal condition a package will migrated to testing in less than 10 days. since solydxk is currently in frozen state then that package will got into solydxk repo on next UP. the procedure have been explained on z's tutorial. as for the last question, the fastest and easiest way, delete unstable repo from your repo list. the harder way, you can add this into your apt preferences

Code: Select all

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 50

# else, you can use this one
Pin: origin packages.solydxk.com
Pin-Priority: 600

Would a simple apt-get purge or aptitude purge and then re-install suffice?
you don't have to do anything when that package migrated to testing. when a newer version comes simple dist-upgrade will be enough.

MoldMe

Postby MoldMe » 08 May 2014 07:15

@kurotsugi...gpa is not in the Debian Testing repo because of a bug. Therefore, it will not be in the SolydXK repos unless the devs decide to pull the current pkg from the Debian Unstable repo. I doubt they will do that because it's not an essential package. I could use a similar app for the KDE environment, but I don't want to pull in a bunch of KDE packages just to use a GUI front end for GnuPG/GnuPG2.

I do something similar using Debian Stable, pulling select packages from the Debian Backports repo. If what I want to do with SolydX and Debian Unstable works the same way, then based on my experience and what I've been told, once you pull from a higher repo, then future updates for the package are pulled from the higher repo, not the lower repo.

Lower repo: SolydXK
Higher repo: Debian Unstable

The terminology might to be the best, but that's the best way I can think of explaining it.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 08 May 2014 08:25

basicly it depends on your goal. if the goal is:
1. to get gpa --> put debian sid on repo list, install gpa, delete debian sid on repo list. it's the safest way.
2. to get gpa and gpa updates from sid. --> put debian sid, install gpa, give sid lower apt priority. you can use 'apt-get install -t sid <package name>' formula to get something from sid.
3. to get gpa and move to sid --> put debian sid, do a d-u, install gpa.

all repo on the list have 500 as the priority value except for experimental. the risk of having sid on your repo list is that your system might accidentally converted into sid. the safest and quickest way is turn off sid after you got what you want from sid. if you want to keep sid on your repo list without converting into sid you'll need to give it apt priority lower than 500. as minimum your /etc/apt/preferences will contain something like this.

Code: Select all

Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 50

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 08 May 2014 22:14

MoldMe wrote:Thank you for the link, zerozero. That's a nice tutorial and affirms what I was planning to do. However, your tutorial doesn't address my question of what to do down the road if one decides to use the same package from the SolydXK repos versus the Testing/Unstable repos. I only want to install and use gpa from Debian Unstable until it becomes available in the SolydXK repos.
your's is a slightly different need: you want one package from sid
(and looking closer at this particular package we see that the last update was
[2013-05-09] Accepted 0.9.4-1 in unstable (low) (Daniel Leidert) http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/gpa.html
one year ago)
doesn't make big sense (to me) to have sid repos enabled because of one package with such a slow update rate;

the method we were talking about until now is useful for packages that are fast-moving and having the updates from sid we are receiving new versions with regular frequency.

what i think (what would be my strategy if i wanted this package):
1- add sid repos
2- install the package with the -t unstable switch
3- remove sid repo
4- watch if by chance (weekly is good) sid has a new version; if it does repeat 1 to 3
this is doable because it's the only app that you are pulling from sid, otherwise it would be unmanageable.
bliss of ignorance

sobe

Postby sobe » 08 May 2014 23:12

@zerozero I agree, that is the easiest way for a single package and the same method I use for Plank dock. I added the sid repo to install plank on my laptop which runs Solydx testing, then once installed I just commented out the plank sid repo "#". If I want to update plank at some point it's very easy to just un-comment the repo, install the new version and comment it out once again. On my sid box I use to do the same for Geary mail since I was pulling it from experimental. As long as you remember to install the app then either comment out, or remove the repo before updating the rest of the system, all will work fine.
Distros currently and regularly on my machines...
Semplice, Linux Mint Xfce, SolydX,

MoldMe

Postby MoldMe » 09 May 2014 06:15

zerozero wrote:your's is a slightly different need: you want one package from sid
(and looking closer at this particular package we see that the last update was
[2013-05-09] Accepted 0.9.4-1 in unstable (low) (Daniel Leidert) http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/gpa.html
one year ago)
doesn't make big sense (to me) to have sid repos enabled because of one package with such a slow update rate;

the method we were talking about until now is useful for packages that are fast-moving and having the updates from sid we are receiving new versions with regular frequency.

what i think (what would be my strategy if i wanted this package):
1- add sid repos
2- install the package with the -t unstable switch
3- remove sid repo
4- watch if by chance (weekly is good) sid has a new version; if it does repeat 1 to 3
this is doable because it's the only app that you are pulling from sid, otherwise it would be unmanageable.
Hmmm...I never looked at it that way. You have a good point.

I think I'm thinking into this way too much. If the package does become available in the SolydXK repos, then simply purging the existing package from Unstable and installing from SolydXK should work and future updates should work by pulling from the SolydXK repos. I'm going to mark this SOLVED. Thank you everyone for your input. I appreciate it. ;)

Return to “Software”