VirtualBox not working....

Questions about software.
macstar

VirtualBox not working....

Postby macstar » 10 May 2014 08:10

when creating a virtualbox and trying to start it, i get the following error message:

executing the given command fails as well. :(

macstar

Re: VirtualBox not working....

Postby macstar » 12 May 2014 08:36

this has not solved! after i reboot my system the error appears again. so everytime i want to use virtualbox i have to reinstall it first. this is shockingly bad. :o

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 12 May 2014 10:57

what version of virtualbox are you using?

===
what's the output of

Code: Select all

aptitude search linux-image linux-headers dkms | grep ^i
bliss of ignorance

macstar

Postby macstar » 12 May 2014 11:21

i use the version which was available in software center, 4.3.6 debian r91406..

macstar@amd-athlon ~ $ aptitude search linux-image linux-headers dkms | grep ^i
i   dkms                            - Dynamic Kernel Module Support Framework   
i   linux-headers-3.13-1-amd64      - Header files for Linux 3.13-1-amd64       
i   linux-headers-3.13-1-common     - Common header files for Linux 3.13-1      
i   linux-headers-amd64             - Header files for Linux amd64 configuration
i   linux-image-3.13-1-amd64        - Linux 3.13 for 64-bit PCs                 
i   linux-image-amd64               - Linux for 64-bit PCs (meta-package)       
i A virtualbox-dkms                 - x86 virtualization solution - kernel modul

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 12 May 2014 11:58

i have basically the same outputs

zerozero@home ~ $ aptitude search linux-image linux-headers dkms | grep ^i
i   dkms                            - Dynamic Kernel Module Support Framework   
i A linux-headers-3.13-1-amd64      - Header files for Linux 3.13-1-amd64       
i A linux-headers-3.13-1-common     - Common header files for Linux 3.13-1      
i   linux-headers-amd64             - Header files for Linux amd64 configuration
i   linux-image-3.13-1-amd64        - Linux 3.13 for 64-bit PCs                 
i   linux-image-amd64               - Linux for 64-bit PCs (meta-package)       
i A virtualbox-dkms                 - x86 virtualization solution - kernel modul
i   virtualbox-guest-dkms           - x86 virtualization solution - guest additi
if you start it from the konsole is there any error message printed in the terminal window?
bliss of ignorance

macstar

Postby macstar » 12 May 2014 12:07

macstar@amd-athlon ~ $ virtualbox
WARNING: The character device /dev/vboxdrv does not exist.
         Please install the virtualbox-dkms package and the appropriate
         headers, most likely linux-headers-amd64.

You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed.

virtualbox-dkms is already installed.
linux-headers-amd64 is installed as well.

gonna switch to kubuntu now, sorry. but i will give solydK a try in virtualbox afterwards, as im still open to fix the several problems i have with and if thats done i would love to install it back as its a great distro.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 12 May 2014 12:10

good luck then with kubuntu!
bliss of ignorance

MoldMe

Postby MoldMe » 12 May 2014 23:15

You might try using the deb from the VirtualBox site. I learned from the CrunchBang Linux forums that this is the preferred method of running VirtualBox since it is more up-to-date. I've always ran the deb from the VirtualBox site without any problems, although I haven't tried installing and running it from my SolydX install.

05/12/2014-01 edit: One thing you haven't mentioned about installing VirtualBox is whether you enabled multiarch. Multiarch allows you to use i386 packages on an AMD64 (64-bit) system. If you are using a 64-bit install of SolydXK, then from the command line:

dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt-get update

CrunchBang -- Siduction -- SolydBang (Openbox, Tint2, most of XFCE4 removed, CrunchBang scripts)

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 13 May 2014 08:29

MoldMe wrote:05/12/2014-01 edit: One thing you haven't mentioned about installing VirtualBox is whether you enabled multiarch. Multiarch allows you to use i386 packages on an AMD64 (64-bit) system. If you are using a 64-bit install of SolydXK, then from the command line:
not needed, first because VB is not a multiarch package and second because SolydXK is multiarch-enabled by default.
bliss of ignorance

MoldMe

Postby MoldMe » 14 May 2014 00:46

zerozero wrote: not needed, first because VB is not a multiarch package and second because SolydXK is multiarch-enabled by default.
Hmmm...for some reason my notes on installing VirtualBox specify enabling multiarch, although it's kind of a moot point since SolydXK is multiarch-enabled by default.

Thank you for the info.

CrunchBang -- Siduction -- SolydBang (Openbox, Tint2, most of XFCE4 removed, CrunchBang scripts)

macstar

Postby macstar » 14 May 2014 08:06

zerozero wrote:good luck then with kubuntu!
thanks. its installation went fine, and all problems are fixed, i can use kontact now, virtualbox, it boots fine, also linconnect is working great (no python errors anymore).
as i thought earlier i would give solydk another chance in virtualbox (where its saver to play arround with) the installer hangs at the end when trying to "set the hostname".
i am willing to try everything out as nothing bad can happen in virtualbox, so any ideas or suggestions welcome, but not really needed anymore. :)

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 14 May 2014 09:58

macstar wrote:the installer hangs at the end when trying to "set the hostname".
you let the installer define the partitions?
the root partition might be too small.
you should manually partition the VM's HDD.
bliss of ignorance

macstar

Postby macstar » 16 May 2014 09:34

zerozero wrote:
macstar wrote:the installer hangs at the end when trying to "set the hostname".
you let the installer define the partitions?
the root partition might be too small.
you should manually partition the VM's HDD.
yep this one helped. installation finished just fine.
what i thought about my problems with solydK, i think using the latest kde (like in kubuntu) should be the easiest and savest way to fix all the problems. so: is there an easy way to use the latest kde in solydK?

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 16 May 2014 09:42

i can't see the connection between the problems you describe and not running the latest kde;
and no, there's no way to upgrade to 4.13.x atm in SolydK.
bliss of ignorance

macstar

Postby macstar » 16 May 2014 09:45

i see a clear connection. i cant set up google calendar in kontact with solydk, when i add a calendar it only offers me the akonadi crap (not working), while on kubuntu it directly offers me a google calendar and contacts import plugin - working just fine.

but if thats not possible and there is no other way of solving these problems, i will just keep kubuntu.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 16 May 2014 10:12

the topic was/is virtualbox (and that is what i was talking about);

yeahh, kde-pim is different problem and one that we will solve in time but not immediately (not days, maybe weeks)
bliss of ignorance

Return to “Software”