[Solved] Repositories in UM

Questions about software.
ess82

[Solved] Repositories in UM

Postby ess82 » 08 Jun 2014 20:30

Hello guys, I know someone had similar problem, but I couldn't find it anymore so created new topic.

In UM -> Preferences, when I want to select repo mirrors, only the /debian one stays selected, the /packages one unselects after I press Save Mirrors, I updated the other night to 2.2.1 and at least that 404 error won't show up now, but still can't select the /packages mirror. Does it have anythig to do with me using custom kernel? Or can anyone explain whether there are any downsides of using custom kernel? Mine's 3.14.4 btw

smitty1

Re: Repositories in UM

Postby smitty1 » 08 Jun 2014 20:57

ess82 wrote:In UM -> Preferences, when I want to select repo mirrors, only the /debian one stays selected, the /packages one unselects after I press Save Mirrors, I updated the other night to 2.2.1 and at least that 404 error won't show up now, but still can't select the /packages mirror
Try this http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php ... =20#p37157
That seems to be what worked for most of us.

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

ess82

Postby ess82 » 11 Jun 2014 14:50

yes it works now, thank you very much, got both mirrors set to GB now

Q: Where do I add additional mirrors now? I want Chrome, Tor etc. automatically updated along with usual packages.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 11 Jun 2014 15:16

ess82 wrote: Q: Where do I add additional mirrors now? I want Chrome, Tor etc. automatically updated along with usual packages.
Chrome will install it's repo information when you install the application. To verify, run the command

Code: Select all

inxi -r
There should be an entry listed for Chrome - it will be in a folder subordinate to /etc/apt.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

ess82

Postby ess82 » 11 Jun 2014 19:59

yes it's there, thanks for info, but I still don't know where to add others ...just add them to sources.list below those solydxk mirrors?

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 11 Jun 2014 20:20

I don't know what you mean by "etc" (a little specificity would help here :) ), but tor is in the SolydXK repos:

Code: Select all

apt policy tor
tor:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 0.2.4.21-1
  Version table:
     0.2.4.21-1 0
        500 http://solydxk.ogun.org/debian/production/ testing/main amd64 Packages
Scott

ess82

Postby ess82 » 11 Jun 2014 20:34

LOL yeah, didn't notice that, guess I'll search repos first next time, I downloaded source and compiled :D

anyway, acestream is not for example, nor sopcast and there might be others I want to install, so do I just add them to sources.list? I better ask before I break something again :)

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 11 Jun 2014 21:17

If they are not in the repos, then the next easiest thing is to find a Debian compliant .deb file and install that. If you can't find that, then download source and compile/install from there.

I do suggest you not attempt to add PPAs to your sources.list - read my siggy :)
Scott

ess82

Postby ess82 » 12 Jun 2014 07:58

:D lmfao... I asked the same question bout 3 times and still didn't get straight answer, so I'll answer myself - YES, I DO append additional repositories to sources.list - I already tried and it works without breaking solydxk mirrors.

Thank you Scott

zerozero

Re: [Solved] Repositories in UM

Postby zerozero » 12 Jun 2014 08:57

ess82 wrote:YES, I DO append additional repositories to sources.list - I already tried and it works without breaking solydxk mirrors.
i guess there's a misunderstanding here of how this works:
- adding additional repos won't break the SolydXK mirrors;
- it might (depending of the repos you add) break your install (and that's another story all together)
bliss of ignorance

ess82

Re: [Solved] Repositories in UM

Postby ess82 » 12 Jun 2014 09:15

Thanks zerozero, yes I am aware of that, I just wanted to know in case I'll need it.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 12 Jun 2014 11:49

ess82 wrote::D lmfao... I asked the same question bout 3 times and still didn't get straight answer, so I'll answer myself - YES, I DO append additional repositories to sources.list - I already tried and it works without breaking solydxk mirrors.

Thank you Scott
Yeah, I can see where, from your perspective, you might think you weren't getting a straight answer .... and for that I apologize.

Straight answer: You and add additional repos ANYWHERE in /etc/apt/sources.list. Or you can do like Chrome does and create a folder in /etc/apt for your additional repo sources.

The answer, being so basic, and the fact that your question was not very specific ( ".... etc ....") is what threw me off.
Scott

Return to “Software”