What's up with VLC Player?

Questions about software.
vtpoet

What's up with VLC Player?

Postby vtpoet » 04 Aug 2014 12:48

So, last night, I tried to watch Castle in the Sky (Netflix DVD) and VLC on SolydK kept skipping parts and jumping around. I tried VLC on both systems -- my 32 bit SolydK and my 64 bit SolydK. Both VLC installs showed the same symptoms. I couldn't get smplayer to play the DVD and Parole just doesn't work. I finally switched over to Win7. :|

That worked.

This morning, I tried my 14.04 Xubuntu install and VLC played correctly.

So, I thought maybe I don't have the latest VLC. I checked:
sudo dpkg --list vlc

ii vlc 1:2.1.4-dmo3 amd64 multimedia player and streamer

apt-cache policy vlc

vlc:
Installed: 1:2.1.4-dmo3
Candidate: 1:2.1.4-dmo3
Version table:
*** 1:2.1.4-dmo3 0
500 http://debian.solydxk.nl/production/multimedia/ testing/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
2.1.4-1+b2 0
500 http://debian.solydxk.nl/production/ testing/main amd64 Packages
When I checked VLC under the Help Menu, it reported the version as being 2.1.4 Rincewind.

Seems to be the latest version? Any ideas why VLC is stumbling on both versions of SolydK? Is there a later version?
Linux Reap what you tweak.

rokytnji

Re: What's up with VLC Player?

Postby rokytnji » 04 Aug 2014 13:52

Before I would have
I finally switched over to Win7
But. I should probably shut up.

https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv

Anyhows. On my low power netbook.That is what I open movies with.

Sorry if I am off topic on your VLC issue. Just posting low resource alternatives out.
It is how I try to roll in SolydX.

But, maybe I am way off base as this pertains to a Netflix DVD that has DRM cooties crawling all over it.
Maybe Windows 7 and DRM are like kissing cousins.

vtpoet

Postby vtpoet » 05 Aug 2014 01:52

Thanks rokytnji, I don't think it has anything to do with DRM, since the movie played just fine on VLC in Voyager/Xubuntu 14.04 (which is presently on my distro-hop partition).

I'm going to definitely try out your alternative.

....Aaaaand, of course, I can't do anything simply. I compiled MPVplayer from the Ubuntu PPA -- version 4.0 -- and it works like a charm! =) (Took about an hour for my underpowered laptop to compile.) So far, so good. Too early to tell, but it does seem smoother. Haven't tested the DVD yet.

helmsdeeper

Postby helmsdeeper » 05 Aug 2014 11:08

VLC is my favorite, but I also install SMplayer on all of my computers as well, sometimes Dragon player too.

vtpoet

Postby vtpoet » 05 Aug 2014 16:36

helmsdeeper wrote:VLC is my favorite, but I also install SMplayer on all of my computers as well, sometimes Dragon player too.
I've never had much luck with smplayer on solydk. It either doesn't play the DVD or doesn't play the audio, or get's confused with the menu system...

rokytnji

Postby rokytnji » 05 Aug 2014 21:35

I learned long ago a script to run a script is likely to break along the way.

So I basically stick with small cli apps like moc which is the bees knees for me as a Music player.
in my Motorcycle shop media center that came out of the trash/dumpster.

Hint: Since you have mplayer installed. Google cli_radio. It is a 1 text file script that uses mplayer to play online radio stations.
If you find it at deviant art. You are at the right place to download it. You need nothing special to run it other than mplayer.
Radio stations of your choice can be subbed in for what is in the text file.

My media center is a linux fluxbox debian sid setup that I let dudes in my shop waiting on me to play on instead of reading a magazine. I had one dude close mocp (or so he thought) when he hit the X on roxterm taskbar to close terminal.

To his suprise, the music kept playing. He ask me WTF? I geek speaked him telling him you did not close the server.
So I opended Terminal. typed in mocp. Hit enter. Then hit shift+q. Music stopped.

Needless to say. Geek creed is bonus points on fixing motorcycles. 8-)

Errrr, did you find out anything on why VLC quit on you yet vtpoet?
Is there a later version?
Because VLC has their own ppa. I don't post it because I am not sure if it is ok to use in SolydXK.

vtpoet

Postby vtpoet » 08 Aug 2014 11:08

I toyed around with MOC once, and should again. For the last couple years though, I've been streaming radio with Radiotray.

I haven't re-tested VLC since the other night. I should do that before we return the DVD (on top of everything else I'm doing). More soon.

Return to “Software”