Adobe Reader

Questions about software.
xendistar

Adobe Reader

Postby xendistar » 08 Aug 2014 06:28

I was unable to run Adobe Reader on my SolydX system which was installed from the Solydx Repos. If I tried from a terminal I got the following error:

/opt/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread: error while loading shared libraries: libxml2.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

A bit of googling suggested that it was a 32\64 bit error due to a missing libary. I found a web page that suggested downloading the 32bit version of the libxml2.so.2 file (sudo apt-get install libxml2:i386) having installed the file I can now run Adobe Reader.

The question is, have I done the right thing or is there another (proper??) way to get Adode Reader working on my system?

t0psy

Re: Adobe Reader

Postby t0psy » 08 Aug 2014 08:59

I had some dealings with Adobe Reader recently.
Please have a look at http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4031
and see if it is of any use to you.

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 08 Aug 2014 11:20

Thanks for the info Topsy

Something strange was going on. Like you I was unable to print, while looking at what I had installed I found that I not only had Acroread and associated files I also had AdberRdr9.5.5-1_i386linux_enu installed which I beleive is the one direct from the Adobe website, I dont remember installing it bu must have done at sometime. This was proved when I uninstalled acroread (and associated files) via synaptics and I could still run Adobe Reader and open PDF's so I removed AdbeRdr and then reinstalled the following files from the std SolydX repo

acroread-data
acroread-debain-files:i386
acroread-dictionary-en
acroread-escript:i386
acroread-l 10n-en
acroread-plugins:i386

Now I can open pdf's in Adobe and print them as well.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 08 Aug 2014 20:22

xendistar wrote:The question is, have I done the right thing or is there another (proper??) way to get Adode Reader working on my system?
answering this question: yes, you did the "proper" thing.

adobe reader is a 32bit app and should be converted to multiarch (it was partially) but as we see here Adobe didn't bother to finish the conversion.
bliss of ignorance

Return to “Software”