VirtualBox screen resolution

Questions about software.
Snap

VirtualBox screen resolution

Postby Snap » 19 Aug 2014 09:12

I cannot change the screen resolution of my VMs. VirtualBox is 4.3.12 with the guest additions both from the repos. I have installed the extension pack from the VB site. but it doesn't work and the Auto-resize Guest Display option is grayed out. Might be a versions conflict issue?
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Snap

Re: VirtualBox screen resolution

Postby Snap » 19 Aug 2014 09:18

I think I'm gonna try the VB repos instead.

Snap

Postby Snap » 19 Aug 2014 10:14

No luck. Now the VB and the Extension pack versions match, so I finally got the USB flashdrive support working. :mrgreen:

But the guest additions are still not working properly. Cannot change the resolution and auto-resize guest display is still grayed out. Some VMs are displayed in 1024x768 which is quite annoying. Any tips?

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 19 Aug 2014 11:04

does it happen with all the distros or just some?
if it's just some, better than me explaining watch this vid following couple minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwLLJ2h ... Bjt6#t=390
bliss of ignorance

Snap

Postby Snap » 19 Aug 2014 13:11

Huh, it was with every distro before installing VB from their repos. Now it's just some. Gonna check the video.

Snap

Postby Snap » 19 Aug 2014 13:36

I see. Guest editions compatibility. Indeed, Kaos is one of the distros that doesn't want to get resized. Only Solyd and Makulu do follow the guest resolution when maximized. Curiously I also have antiX and Sparky which both are also Debian Testing based and are stuck to 1024x768... I need to investigate some more.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 20 Aug 2014 00:31

I don't know if this will help much but I used to have that problem too. What I did was go into the terminal in the guest VM and do this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install build-essential
then go and install the VirtualBox guest additions again (it will remove the one currently there and recompile). Then restart the VM and it would work. If not, then restart a second time but usually the first restart after compiling works. What happens is that it won't compile the necessary modules for better video detection if there's no build-essential package installed.

Might want to give it a try and see if that works.

Snap

Postby Snap » 20 Aug 2014 01:30

It seems that the solutions I'm finding go in that direction. First fiddling with xorg configurations in the guest and if this doesn't works, like it's my case after many different attempts and configs. Then try to build the kernel module vboxvideo also in the guest.

I'll keep trying tomorrow. I'm so tired now. It's 3:30 a.m. here... time for bed. Thanks for the tips, RavenLX.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 20 Aug 2014 02:42

Running the Virtual Box Linux Additions script on the virtual CD again will then compile the modules for you. That's about all you'd have to do. No need to configure or compile things on your own. In fact, it's best not to because the script will uninstall the non-working version in the process. Just be sure build-essential is installed first.

nuts2u

Postby nuts2u » 20 Aug 2014 03:52

Snap,

I can confirm that RavenLX solution does indeeed work on Sparky Linux. My VM of Spark now supports a resolution of 1270x934 where before the highest I could get was 1024x768.

Liberalism is the art of standing on your head,
then telling everyone around you that they're upside-down.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 20 Aug 2014 04:44

I forgot to mention that the screen res will start up at the splash screen, not the login screen. The login screen will still be low-res until the system starts up your user preferences, it seems.

Snap

Postby Snap » 21 Aug 2014 06:03

Thanks for the tips, guys. But it didn't worked. I tried to do it again but for some reason the GuestAdditions iso CD is mounted but appears like empty. I downloaded it again and replaced it and made no difference.

Need to research more.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 21 Aug 2014 06:54

That's odd. Try mounting it, then in Dolphin right click on it and select to "release" the CD and then in the USB icon in the system tray to unmount it. Then "re-insert" the CD (ie. in VM's device menu add the guest additions ISO) and then go into dolphin, click on that CD. It shouldn't be empty. From there you can start a terminal in that directory by going into Tools - Open Terminal (or hit SHIFT+F4).

Other times, oddly enough, a shutdown may be necessary then in the VM settings you have to remove the ISO.

Snap

Postby Snap » 21 Aug 2014 08:15

Do you mean in the host? Running the VBoxLinuxAdditions.run script from the host instead of the guest VM?

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 21 Aug 2014 15:39

Sorry I wasn't clear on that. Run the VBoxLinuxAdditions.run script in the guest, not the host.

Here's steps:

If the CD is still showing up in dolphin:

Shut down the guest VM. Go into the settings for the Guest VM in the virtualbox program (click on the Guest VM and click the Settings icon). Go into Storage and then click on the guest additions CD and remove it from there by clicking the down arrow in the drop down box on the right and selecting to remove the CD.

Restart the guest VM.

Now, whether or not the CD shows up in Dolphin do the following:

1. Go into the VM menu at the top (I assume you have a menu or a way to access it) of the guest while it's running and select Devices. Then insert guest additions CD.

2. In the guest, start Dolphin. Right click on the CD after it auto-mounts. Now click "Release". Then in the system tray (in guest VM) click on the USB icon and safely remove/eject the CD.

3. Go into the VM menu at the top again and in Devices, go to the submenu (forgot which one, sorry, but it's at the top that lets you choose devices to mount) and select to remove the CD from there.

4. Go into the VM menu at the top yet again and go to the bottom options again to insert the guest additions CD.

This should hopefully clear things so that you can see the files in Dolphin again and if you start a terminal from there you can be sure to get to the right directory. Sometimes it likes to mount these CDs in /media/your-username/cdrom_label.

Snap

Postby Snap » 21 Aug 2014 17:28

Aaaah, the confusing bit is Dolphin. I was fiddling with antiX. No dolphin, so spaceFM will be the file manger. :mrgreen:

Anyway. I'll try it with the KaOS VM which also displays 1024x768 only. KDE and Dolphin are in.

Going to give it a spin and report back. Thanks a bunch for the tips!

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 21 Aug 2014 17:48

Sorry I forgot that others may use other file managers. There should be a way in most file managers to right click on the device and "release" it (not eject) but release first. Then eject (that way it releases the CD and kind of "clears" it so the system won't get confused what's in the drive).

Snap

Postby Snap » 21 Aug 2014 19:23

Well, failed twice in both systems (antiX and KaOS). I carefully followed the steps and took me to the very same results.

antiX

KaOS

I have a clue of what to try now with KaOS, but no idea about antiX. :roll:

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 21 Aug 2014 20:16

Try and look back at the messages again in the terminal and see if it actually needed anything else (like gcc or make or something) to compile the modules?

I've seen those messages before but forgot how I resolved them (or IF I ever did). For that, I apologize.

Snap

Postby Snap » 21 Aug 2014 20:27

I think I installed everything needed two days ago. I'll check it anyway just in case I skept something, but I got no errors on the terminal other than those messages.
I've seen those messages before but forgot how I resolved them (or IF I ever did). For that, I apologize.
C'mon! No need to apologize. You've been hugely helpful.

Return to “Software”