Another Remaster Question

Questions about software.
freecicero

Another Remaster Question

Postby freecicero » 27 Nov 2014 02:28

I know this is not officially supported, but I am wondering if any other users have figured out a way to remaster Solydxk in the last several months. I have read the threads about the Constructor (Edit: which will not suit my needs), and how Remastering is not supported by the developers. I've played with trying to get Refracta to run, as that seems to be the most likely path forward, but it won't install because it says it "cannot install live-config-sysvinit." When I attempt to install sysvinit-core I get a message that it will install systemd-shim but it will remove libpam-systemd network-manager networkmanagergnome and other important-sounding files.

Has anyone else figured out a remaster path. I maintain too many machines to make it worthwhile without remaster capability. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Snap

Re: Another Remaster Question

Postby Snap » 27 Nov 2014 07:24

AFAIK, SolydXK constructor is intended for SolyXK only. It may not work for other distros. Perhaps you should try Remastersys instead. It's not longer mantained but I know many folks are still using it successfully.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

just

Postby just » 27 Nov 2014 07:27

take a closer look at fsarchiver.

it's not a remastering tool. but, among other things, it allows to copy an entire existing partition to another one. of the same size, on a bigger or smaller one. of the same file system type or any other one. on the same computer or another one. with the same hardware or another one (thanks to a very redundant software installation that most distros do by default).

usually it takes 10..15 mins to backup a 20G partition. plus, other 3..5 min to restore it in another place. 1 min to adjust fstab in a newly obtained copy. in 20..30 mins you have copied an existing system onto another computer. where it continues to work perfectly.

currently i have 5 computers to maintain. it would be impossible without fsarchiver.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 27 Nov 2014 07:55

I have never needed to do this, but I have seen many requests for tools which can create an installable ISO from a running system. The only things I know of are the Refracta tools, antiX tools -- MX uses the antiX codebase, and has the same tools. I would probably try to adapt these tools, starting with Refracta myself. I have copied a running system to another partition with a simple cp -ax, and simply adjusted fstab. I have also made heavy use of fsarchiver, as just said. There doesn't appear to be much else out there that I know of, with regard to creating an installable remastered iso from an installed/changed/updated system, so I would probably just keep banging my head on what's there... :)

dyfi

Postby dyfi » 27 Nov 2014 10:44

Fsarchiver is the easiest IMO, it does all the hard work for you, partition to .fsa file then restore to different partition, but it does not create an ISO. Last time I used Refracta on SolydX there were issues to overcome.

freecicero

Postby freecicero » 27 Nov 2014 12:07

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes the installable live CD is the way want to go, and Refracts sees t best pat, but for the issues I described in the original post. Fsarchiver may be an option though if I can figure a easy way to know how to fix the fstab, but unless there is an automated we to do that i t is probably beyond me.

dyfi

Postby dyfi » 27 Nov 2014 13:14

The last time I used fsarchiver fstab was automatically correct for the partition to boot via UUID. The only entry I had to make was the correct UUID for my swap partition, using gparted and copy and paste.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 27 Nov 2014 14:00

Yes, I had forgotten about that... :oops: Fsarchiver preserves the UUID of the original partition, so that if you extract to a different partition there is no need to change fstab... On my multiboot systems I'm constantly shifting these things around, so this is very helpful -- all I need to do after extracting is update the controlling grub to reflect the new location.

Sometimes an ill-behaved installer reformats my swap partition, giving it a new UUID, hardly an issue, only a small nuisance ...

I use qt4-fsarchiver exclusively to manage my multiboot systems, and as just said above, It would be nearly impossible without it. I'm spoiled, it's just too quick and easy. :mrgreen:

I do need to further investigate the remastering thing, but I've never got around to it as I don't seem to have a really pressing need. It remains on the round-tuit list... ;)

dyfi

Postby dyfi » 27 Nov 2014 14:08

At various times I've used all the methods - clonezilla, rsync, refracta, tar and fsarchiver. All can be successful with a little tinkering, but as previously mentioned I find fsarchiver the most straightforward.

J.Jay

Postby J.Jay » 02 Dec 2014 22:27

Used 'Ghost' and 'True Image' both comercial, back when on windows (95 & XP systems) the also worked for linux (and BEOS :o )
Did 'Remastersys' way back (well not that far back)
used 'clonezilla' back and forth
went to 'refracta, but got more & more dificult to use in my prefered distros
settled on 'redo backup & restore' on a CD (have a portable USB one :D ) and a base backup on a USB thumb drive

1.found if make a install with a partion scheme of a 10GB /root &a 20GB /home and a big unused area (to resize the /home into) in between (and a extrended partion for 1 or 2 logical partions and finnaly a primary swap partion on end of drive.
2. Make a redo backup with/of the /root & /home partions only
3.set up the the new computer like above (but make sure the /root atleast 10GB and /home atleast 20GB) and any other partitions wanted in a exdended partion and finally a appropaite sized swap partion at the end. I'venever found anyones PC with less then a 40GB HD (we'll once a 32GB SSD but above still had enough space (no dual boot wanted 8-)
4. restore the /root & /home booting from the CD and using USB (can also run 'redo from the ram and use another CD/DVD with the partions/backup... if not another USB or hub can't be used. Seem not to disturb any other partions info if the original 2 are of the right size (or more) :D
5.boot into new system and resize home (if needed/want ;)

J.Jay

P.S.All this (longwinded instuctions) is easy and if a base install takes me only about15-20 minutes (even on a ancient slower than a sloth hardware).
Edit also workes outsid 'Debian' world (doing more and more 'Manjaro Xfce' hopping :roll:

freecicero

Postby freecicero » 03 Dec 2014 01:43

Thanks J. Jay. I spent some time with FSarchiver this weekend and like it, but I am also a big fan of Redo backup, and i think that will remain my main workhorse unless/until a live cd remastering alternative becomes available. I have used Redo to restore full systems and/or swap larger hard drives in the place of older ones, so I have confidence in it. I haven't yet tried restoring anything with FSarchiver, but it does look good.

J.Jay

Postby J.Jay » 03 Dec 2014 02:33

Thanks J. Jay. I spent some time with FSarchiver this weekend and like it, but I am also a big fan of Redo backup, and i think that will remain my main workhorse unless/until a live cd remastering alternative becomes available. I have used Redo to restore full systems and/or swap larger hard drives in the place of older ones, so I have confidence in it. I haven't yet tried restoring anything with FSarchiver, but it does look good.
Glad if it helps you ;)
Their are a few scripts and the like floating around the web (AntiX, and the 'SparkyLinux ones I can think of off th top of my head) and The 'PC lixux one I think can be modified to work in debians. Refracta does work if you find the right version for your setup (trial & error and Install may disapear :evil: )
The nature of a linux let you take a backup from one PC and install usually to another (video drivers ect. may need to be changed, but will usally install and let boot into)most drivers and generic ones are installed in distros already. (Try that with MSWin or apple :cry: )

J.Jay
P.S. I have a tablet that won't let you install with any PAE enabled kernel/distro, But will run if I back up into the hard drive (even if a PAE distro) :?

Snap

Postby Snap » 03 Dec 2014 07:37

Thanks for your the tips, J. Jay. They live in my tips and howtos bag now.

Getting those scripts from Antix and Sparky have been in my to do list for a while.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

freecicero

Postby freecicero » 26 Dec 2014 19:24

I have a question about this part of what J. Jay said:

"3.set up the the new computer like above (but make sure the /root atleast 10GB and /home atleast 20GB) and any other partitions wanted in a exdended partion and finally a appropaite sized swap partion at the end. I'venever found anyones PC with less then a 40GB HD (we'll once a 32GB SSD but above still had enough space (no dual boot wanted 8-)"

The part of this that is not clear to me is how the boot aspect of the new computer is set up. I didn't think that copying /root and /home would set up the master boot record or whatever that part is called.

I suppose I could see taking a Solydx install disk, running the install to set up the new system so that it is booting properly with the desired partitions, and then doing a RedoBackup restore over the newly installed system, but that sounds like a lot of extra work that isn't necessary. Is there some trick to setting up the boot configuration files on the new system so that it boots properly once the RedoBackup restore process is complete?

Thanks very much!

rijnsma

Postby rijnsma » 03 Mar 2015 05:54

The best thing I found for producing your personal 'live-media' this far is 'Systemback'.

It does simply and perfect what is needed.
It does more than making ISO's when you can run the full software. It can even make restorepoints and copy a system to another partition, repair etc..

I think all users who are interested to save their system also in this way were waiting for it. [Clonezilla or something like Redo backup and restore for the whole HD (so cloning) is the other way of course with some essential limits.]

See:
Launchpad.net/systemback or
http://sourceforge.net/projects/systemback/ etc.

Return to “Software”