WINE??

Questions about software.
Deleted User 2779

WINE??

Postby Deleted User 2779 » 03 Feb 2015 05:02

The software center says Wine is installed, yet I can't find its folder anywhere!
I tried installing a program that worked under Mint KDE, but does NOT work in
this OS. I tried installing using PlayOnLinux and it did not install correctly. No
problems in any Ubuntu flavored distros. Also, a couple of other Debian distros.
Why not this one??

------
You also don't offer an option to right mouse click on a photo from within the
browser or otherwise to make it the desktop, like other distros do.

I can't believe this distro claims it's the only one that includes multimedia
players and such, Unlike other distros. Well, I do believe many other distros
have been including multimedia within their distros for about the last TEN years!

Deleted User 2779

Re: WINE??

Postby Deleted User 2779 » 03 Feb 2015 08:21

Ok... another issue with what this distro programmers say is GREAT FORUM AND MEMBERS!
Yah right... I've been waiting HOURS and cannot get an answer to the problem with wine and this distro??

Screw this crap...

GOODBYE to you and all your chumps!!

belze

Postby belze » 03 Feb 2015 11:13

JakkHakk wrote:Ok... another issue with what this distro programmers say is GREAT FORUM AND MEMBERS!
Yah right... I've been waiting HOURS and cannot get an answer to the problem with wine and this distro??

Screw this crap...

GOODBYE to you and all your chumps!!
:shock: 3h
I'm not an expert using wine or playonlinux. I just use playonlinux to install firefox. I opened it and tried again installing spotify and it worked without any issue.
Can you post some screenshot of what is happening in your system?
-------

Zill

Postby Zill » 03 Feb 2015 12:41

JakkHakk: As you are new to SolydXK forums it would have been useful if you had taken the time to learn a bit more about your new system and how GNU/Linux systems (such as SolydXK) are built and supported.

Development and building of these systems is done by very many people, often volunteers, working in different counties and timezones around the world. Many distros, such as SolydXK, have quite a small number of developers who obviously have their own lives to lead as well as building great distros for us all to use.

Support of these systems is by forum volunteers (other users) who are also scattered around the world and have their own lives to lead.

Note that this is a totally different model to the customer support offered by the big corporations selling proprietary software, who can obviously afford to pay dedicated support staff to answer queries. The big difference is that these corporations have "customers" whereas GNU/Linux has "users"!

So, it is obviously unreasonable to expect a volunteer who may know the answer to your query to respond within three hours when they may be on the other side of the world and be asleep or have other commitments!

Patience is a virtue, as is consideration and respect for the volunteers who devote very many hours to producing a great system that they are then generous enough to give away for free!

Goodbye. Please don't slam the door on your way out!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 03 Feb 2015 13:45

I do not tolerate any disrespectful behavior on this forum.
Your apology would be in place and appreciated.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Snap

Postby Snap » 03 Feb 2015 13:53

Why you waste your time replying trolls? Buddies... :roll:
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

FinnFann

Postby FinnFann » 03 Feb 2015 15:24

Snap wrote:Why you waste your time replying trolls? Buddies... :roll:
It's extra silly because, had this troll looked up their issues, it's more than likely linked to the fact debian has had a number of package changes upstream from Ubuntu as of the current time. So a number of packages wine normally needs have changed around, and wine may not have caught up yet.

Not to mention that wine is installed for playonlinux, just none of the utilities associated with it that make menu entries more than likely. Ah well...so many issues and rudeness that could be solved by just realizing they're on Debian testing until Jessie goes officially stable, and things haven't stabilized yet. All these people so spoiled by being downstream >w>;

EDIT: In case someone SERIOUS is watching...may as well answer the questions regardless of rudeness to the best of my ability. Gotta be stronger than the troll and leave an answer trail for those who may actually have the issue!
1) Wine may have only had the binary installed for PlayOnLinux which is why no menu entries are present. Solutions to try include reinstalling the wine package, and installing, if not present, the configuration packages. Regardless, the wine utilities and functions should be usable through terminal, and we can assist if that's needed.
2) Mint KDE is using some older packaging, and has a LOT of 32-bit compat libraries installed by default that may have been changed in the Jessie repositories. Make sure you know/install necessary 32-bit libraries. For instance the 32-bit libmesa libraries, etc.
3) Remember, this is raw debian, and this is based upon Jessie which is not yet stable. There's been a lot of changes that haven't been accounted for yet in distros like Ubuntu.
4) Right click from browser to set as wallpaper may actually be a patch applied to the browser in other distros, and it may not actually be present in the official package, limiting functionality on distros that don't apply patches (I know OpenSuse in particular offers a LOT of non-mainstream patches to Firefox for KDE).

Regardless, remember Solyd is right up against Debian with very little canonical etc influence. It will be somewhat harder, and different, to work with. Things should stabilize a lot and catch up once Jessie goes full stable, but until then have patience. We'll help, but we only have one head, and most of us have dayjobs. Or need sleep :P For instance your post went up at midnight for me, and you got angry at 3am.
ImageLemonade

Graybyrd

Postby Graybyrd » 04 Feb 2015 04:44

Success with Wine: a kind linux user on the Scrivener forum (literatureandlatte.com) gave me this excellent advice about running the latest version of Wine, so my suite of Windows apps could run effectively under SolydXK (SolydX in my case).

1. Download the latest version of Wine from the Wine online site; save the tar file;
2. Uninstall the old version of Wine (if it is previously installed);
3. Untar the source file (I did a mkdir; ~/src for local install)
4. go into the "Tools" directory in the Wine source files; type "./wineinstall"
( --else, "./configure && make && sudo make install" )

This took a long, long time to compile & install. Go watch a baseball game or a night at the opera.

This has proved very effective for me on SolydX. I run several Windows apps (EditPlus, Scrivener, Scapple, Atlantis, etc.) that don't have satisfactory equivalents on linux yet. Linux would be much less useful to me without Wine.

Actually, I did this twice: once on my SolydX 'Wheezy' desktop box, but Wine continues to run perfectly through the recent upgrade to 'Jessie' testing; and I compiled it again on an IBM Thinkpad T-60 running #! (CrunchBang) debian linux. It, too, went without a hitch and runs solid. Hard to argue with success.

I hope this is useful to someone. If it all blows up, don't call me. I'm not a linux guru. Others here are far more skilled.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 04 Feb 2015 11:10

This is the version of wine currently installed on my system:

Code: Select all

p07@asus:~$ apt policy wine
wine:
  Geïnstalleerd: 1:1.7.33-1
  Kandidaat:     1:1.7.33-1
  Versietabel:
 *** 1:1.7.33-1 0
        500 http://liquorix.net/debian/ sid/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1.6.2-19 0
        500 http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages
I can't remember when/were, but some forum message mentioned the liquorix developer provided his own version of the wine packages. I've had a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/liquorix.list with

deb http://liquorix.net/debian sid main
for a while now and every couple of weeks a fairly recent copy of wine gets installed. Beats building the thing myself...
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 04 Feb 2015 11:47

Got a couple of errors trying the wine source list:

W: GPG error: http://liquorix.net sid InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 3EFF4F272FB2CD80

WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
  wine1.7-amd64 wine1.7-i386:i386 wine1.7 wine

Unpacking wine1.7-amd64 (1:1.7.33-1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/wine1.7-amd64_1%3a1.7.33-1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/wine64', which is also in package wine64 1.6.2-19
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Selecting previously unselected package wine1.7-i386.
Preparing to unpack .../wine1.7-i386_1%3a1.7.33-1_i386.deb ...
Unpacking wine1.7-i386 (1:1.7.33-1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/wine1.7-i386_1%3a1.7.33-1_i386.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/wine', which is also in package wine 1.6.2-19
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Selecting previously unselected package wine1.7.
Preparing to unpack .../wine1.7_1%3a1.7.33-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking wine1.7 (1:1.7.33-1) ...
Replacing files in old package wine (1.6.2-19) ...

Preparing to unpack .../wine_1%3a1.7.33-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking wine (1:1.7.33-1) over (1.6.2-19) ...
Processing triggers for fontconfig (2.11.0-6.3) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.0.2-5) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.58) ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.13-1) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1) ...
Processing triggers for menu (2.1.47) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/wine1.7-amd64_1%3a1.7.33-1_amd64.deb
 /var/cache/apt/archives/wine1.7-i386_1%3a1.7.33-1_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 05 Feb 2015 10:41

Wow. That forum reset took out a lot of messages. I'm not going to (try to) repeat everything I wrote in the last 22 hours.

I'll repeat this: go to http://liquorix.net for info about the keyring and make sure you remove Debian's wine completely (i.e. don't forget the wine64 package if it's installed!) before installing the 1.7 version.
Frank

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 05 Feb 2015 11:44

This was my last post about this.
I removed 1.6.
Should this work ok?:

dcihon@solydk64 ~ $ sudo apt-get install wine
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  fonts-horai-umefont fonts-unfonts-core libcapi20-3 libcapi20-3:i386 libgif4:i386 libieee1284-3:i386 libosmesa6
  libosmesa6:i386 libpcap0.8:i386 libsane:i386 libsane-extras:i386 p11-kit-modules:i386 wine1.7 wine1.7-amd64
  wine1.7-i386:i386
Suggested packages:
  isdnutils-doc isdnutils-doc:i386 hplip:i386 hpoj:i386 dosbox:any
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  fonts-horai-umefont fonts-unfonts-core libcapi20-3 libcapi20-3:i386 libgif4:i386 libieee1284-3:i386 libosmesa6
  libosmesa6:i386 libpcap0.8:i386 libsane:i386 libsane-extras:i386 p11-kit-modules:i386 wine wine1.7 wine1.7-amd64
  wine1.7-i386:i386
0 upgraded, 16 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/61.4 MB of archives.
After this operation, 431 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.
dcihon@solydk64 ~ $ inxi -r
Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
           deb http://repository.solydxk.com solydxk main upstream import
           deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
           deb http://security.debian.org testing/updates main contrib non-free
           deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ jessie-backports main contrib non-free
           deb http://liquorix.net/debian sid main

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 05 Feb 2015 11:50

If there are no bits of 1.6 left... That looks like it should work.
Frank

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 05 Feb 2015 11:51

Anyway to make sure there are no 1.6 left?

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 05 Feb 2015 12:05

Does

dpkg-query -l *wine*
show anything of 1.6 that appears to be installed?
Frank

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 05 Feb 2015 12:12

dcihon@solydk64 ~ $ dpkg-query -l *wine*
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                     Version           Architecture      Description
+++-========================-=================-=================-=====================================================
ii  libkwineffects1abi5      4:4.11.13-2       amd64             library used by effects for the KDE window manager
ii  libwine:amd64            1.6.2-19          amd64             Windows API implementation - library
ii  libwine:i386             1.6.2-19          i386              Windows API implementation - library
un  libwine-alsa             <none>            <none>            (no description available)
ii  libwine-bin              1.6.2-19          i386              Windows API implementation - system services
un  libwine-capi             <none>            <none>            (no description available)
un  libwine-cms              <none>            <none>            (no description available)
rc  libwine-development:amd6 1.7.29-4          amd64             Windows API implementation - library
rc  libwine-development:i386 1.7.29-4          i386              Windows API implementation - library
ii  libwine-gecko-2.21       2.21+dfsg2-1      all               Windows API implementation - web browser module
un  libwine-gl               <none>            <none>            (no description available)
un  libwine-gphoto2          <none>            <none>            (no description available)
un  libwine-ldap             <none>            <none>            (no description available)
un  libwine-openal           <none>            <none>            (no description available)
un  libwine-oss              <none>            <none>            (no description available)
un  libwine-sane             <none>            <none>            (no description available)
un  wine                     <none>            <none>            (no description available)
un  wine-bin                 <none>            <none>            (no description available)
un  wine-development         <none>            <none>            (no description available)
un  wine-i386                <none>            <none>            (no description available)
un  wine1.0                  <none>            <none>            (no description available)
un  wine1.2                  <none>            <none>            (no description available)
un  wine1.3                  <none>            <none>            (no description available)
un  wine1.4                  <none>            <none>            (no description available)
un  wine1.4-i386             <none>            <none>            (no description available)
un  wine1.5                  <none>            <none>            (no description available)
un  wine1.5-i386             <none>            <none>            (no description available)
un  wine1.6                  <none>            <none>            (no description available)
un  wine1.6-i386             <none>            <none>            (no description available)
rc  wine1.7                  1:1.7.33-1        amd64             Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer (Binary Emulato
in  wine1.7-amd64            <none>            amd64             (no description available)
rc  wine1.7-i386             1:1.7.33-1        i386              Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer (32-bit support

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 05 Feb 2015 12:26

Judging by my own system it doesn't look like the 1.6.2-19 libwine packages interfere with the 1.7 wine, but as they won't be used, you might as well remove them.
Frank

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 05 Feb 2015 12:35

Does rc at the begining means its installed?
Trying to remove libwine:amd64 says it isn't installed and it doesn't show up in synaptic either.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 05 Feb 2015 12:52

No, the rc means the last desired action was a 'remove' that somehow didn't get past the 'conf-files' stage.

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
MAYBL8 wrote:Trying to remove libwine:amd64 says it isn't installed and it doesn't show up in synaptic either.
If that's this one:

ii  libwine:amd64            1.6.2-19          amd64             Windows API implementation - library
then that's odd, because the ii at the beginning indicates that package is installed. Are you sure it wasn't one of the others (there are a few with rc)?
Frank

xMris

Postby xMris » 05 Feb 2015 13:17

something is wrong on this thread guys... I don't see my posts!

Return to “Software”