[SOLVED] Good screen Capture Program?

Questions about software.
FinnFann

[SOLVED] Good screen Capture Program?

Postby FinnFann » 08 Feb 2015 19:34

Does anyone know of a good screen capture program? Or a way to get Kdenlive's screen grabber to record audio? (it throws an error when I attempt to record x264 with audio. I'd prefer not to delve into that until last case, though).

Vokoscreen is great, but tends to slow things down, and doesn't handle the audio well (very choppy and cuts in and out).
Kazam is GREAT....except it disobeys the audio capture settings and instead uses whatever KDE has set to it's recording source (in this case my webcam). I'd use this, but KDE doesn't let me set card output as a recording input to my knowledge (no stereo mix like windows had/used to have)
SimpleScreenRecorder isn't available yet, and when I tried to delve into the deb files I could find well. Too messy as it wants ubuntu-specific packages.

Any recommends?
ImageLemonade

Zill

Re: Good screen Capture Program?

Postby Zill » 08 Feb 2015 21:44

FinnFann: I have never used it myself so cannot comment on how good it is but "recordMyDesktop" is in the repos. You could give it a try and let us know what you think.

FinnFann

Postby FinnFann » 08 Feb 2015 21:59

Zill wrote:FinnFann: I have never used it myself so cannot comment on how good it is but "recordMyDesktop" is in the repos. You could give it a try and let us know what you think.
I should've mentioned that and istanbul are rather bad for what I need X3 They record audio and video, but their framerates and formats are badly limited, and they'll often not work well with games.
ImageLemonade

Snap

Postby Snap » 09 Feb 2015 09:14

I use Vokoscreen occasionally. Hardly ever need to do such captures, but IIRC, it has more format options than the common ones.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

FinnFann

Postby FinnFann » 11 Feb 2015 04:05

Snap wrote:I use Vokoscreen occasionally. Hardly ever need to do such captures, but IIRC, it has more format options than the common ones.
Problem is vokoscreen HATES my sound card, and produces very patchy audio from the output source.
I've found kazam apparently works great in XFCE, but it misbehaves in KDE by using the wrong sound source with no way I've found to use the correct one (it IS built with Ubuntu in mind, I suppose).

There's also that java based one that was posted in another thread. I might give that one a shot if kazam in xfce fails me.
ImageLemonade

Snap

Postby Snap » 11 Feb 2015 07:00

Yep, never managed to make kazam work fine on Debian in different distros whatever the DE or WM.

I have no issues with Vokoscreen, though I have to say I haven't fired it in months. Are you using pulse? Here it's purged and it's all ALSA and Jack.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

FinnFann

Postby FinnFann » 14 Feb 2015 17:46

SOLVED HERE:
http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5341

This program
http://screenstudio.crombz.com/
is a java-based frontend to the ffmpeg screen recording tools, and works better than most of the others I've run into. It does require java runtime and the installation of libav-tools, however.
ImageLemonade

Return to “Software”