What might be the safest way to upgrade cuda toolkit to 6.5?

Questions about software.
Recy

What might be the safest way to upgrade cuda toolkit to 6.5?

Postby Recy » 30 Apr 2015 04:35

I'm trying to use GPU rendering in Blender, but the CUDA kernel compilation is failing with the stock packages in the repos.

It seems like the new blender requires CUDA 6.5, although I'm not sure that's the cause of the failure. The installed package is nvidia-cuda-toolkit 6.0.37-5

Code: Select all

CUDA version 6.0 detected, build may succeed but only CUDA 6.5 is officially supported.
Compiling CUDA kernel ...
"nvcc" -arch=sm_21 -m64 --cubin "/usr/share/blender/scripts/addons/cycles/kernel/kernel.cu" -o "/home/ergo/.config/blender/2.72/cache/cycles_kernel_experimental_sm21_16EA9B6352A2174ED539F0164CBE4A34.cubin" --ptxas-options="-v" -I"/usr/share/blender/scripts/addons/cycles/kernel" -DNVCC -D__KERNEL_CUDA_VERSION__=60 -D__KERNEL_CUDA_EXPERIMENTAL__
Killed
CUDA kernel compilation failed, see console for details.
And there is nothing else relevant in the console.

Code: Select all

Refer to the Cycles GPU rendering documentation for possible solutions:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Render/Cycles/GPU_Rendering

Saved session recovery to '/tmp/quit.blend'

Blender quit
From which repo could I safely upgrade CUDA to 6.5?

Recy

Re: What might be the safest way to upgrade cuda toolkit to

Postby Recy » 03 Oct 2015 07:33

I did this a while back, but in case anyone needs it due to cuda 6.5 not getting to backports, all you need to do right now is change the repo over to debian sid, then upgrade nvidia-cuda-toolkit.

apt-get install nvidia-cuda-toolkit

It will get all the necessary dependencies. I'd also recommend upgrading the nvidia driver and the kernel from backports before you do this, but I don't think that's strictly necessary.

Return to “Software”