A debian jessie repo to install a shared WoW64 Wine64?

Questions about software.
Recy

A debian jessie repo to install a shared WoW64 Wine64?

Postby Recy » 05 May 2015 03:22

Is there such a repo somewhere. I remember when I was using fedora this was the default setup when installing wine on x86_64, and that was years ago. It worked a lot better than the wine currently in debian, which doesn't seem to run anything without an error.

ilu

Re: A debian jessie repo to install a shared WoW64 Wine64?

Postby ilu » 15 May 2015 14:06

I don't understand your question. What do you mean by "WoW64"? Since you mentioned wine ... the Blizz game? But "shared"? And why/how/what debian jessie repo?

Recy

Postby Recy » 16 May 2015 21:29

ilu wrote:I don't understand your question. What do you mean by "WoW64"? Since you mentioned wine ... the Blizz game? But "shared"? And why/how/what debian jessie repo?
For an example of a Wow64 install of wine, look at the Fedora install of wine. It basically means wine can run 64 bit and 32 bit applications. The wine install in debian really is quite poor, for lacking that and for other reasons. I don't know if it's neglected for ideological reasons, or what, but that's how it is. That's why I'm asking if there's a 3rd party repo for wine.

ilu

Postby ilu » 16 May 2015 21:57

You still did not explain what you mean by WoW64 and consequently I don't really understand. I don't know anything about Fedora and I don't intent to read up on it. But I'm guessing at your problem and maybe this helps:
I'm using PlayOnLinux for the administration of my wine versions and applications. Actually, thats kind of standard for a "serious wine-r" :lol: today. Get PlayOnLinux through your distros/debians repos. It helps you to use bleeding edge wine versions - both 32bit and 64bit - without borking your system. PlayOnLinux is not just for games. I installed MS Office and my tax program with it. At first it's a bit difficult to figure out the best way of app installation but once you get that it's great.

Recy

Postby Recy » 16 May 2015 22:55

In a nutshell, that's what a shared WOW64 install of wine does. It runs 32 bit and 64 bit applications on the same wine.

I doubt I'm going to use playonlinux or install various wine versions. All I am looking for is a shared WOW64 install of wine, but I'll have to build from source if it's not available.

Apart from that, WOW64 support is not the only issue. A lot of things seem to not be as well-configured on debian wine as they are on other distros. Also, wine seems to be an old version in debian, and now that it's (debian 8) gone stable, I suppose it will stay that way. Right now, a lot of windows programs that used to run near flawlessly on wine 5 years ago don't even work on the wine version in debian.

ilu

Postby ilu » 17 May 2015 00:30

Recy wrote:In a nutshell, that's what a shared WOW64 install of wine does. It runs 32 bit and 64 bit applications on the same wine.
Additionally PlayOnLinux runs different wine versions at the same time and in their own environment, it is just a tool to administer wine configs and versions. That way every Win app gets its own wine environment. And if one app crashes the others just continue running. The windows programs I run need different wine versions and environments, some with patches, not just 32 and 64 bit.

The debian wine version is notoriously old although I was following testing until recently, I don't know why. I have never looked at the debian wine config because, for aforementioned reasons, it's useless anyway.
Recy wrote:All I am looking for is a shared WOW64 install of wine, but I'll have to build from source if it's not available.
By no means, go ahead. That far surpasses my knowledge.

Recy

Postby Recy » 17 May 2015 00:46

Luckily, there are some instructions on how to do it http://wiki.winehq.org/Wine64
but I won't consider my search a success unless I can manage to build a clean deb package of the wine install.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 17 May 2015 07:12

the wine used in debian is the stabel version (1.16 series) with that series wine 64 bit version can't run 32 bit softwares. if you want to run 32bit softwares with wine64 you need wine-development packages which based on wine 1.17 series. however, you need to remember that current wine64 only partially support 32bit softwares.

Recy

Postby Recy » 17 May 2015 23:21

It must have been some fedora specific patches, then.

Zero Angel

Postby Zero Angel » 18 May 2015 04:23

Wouldn't it be better at this point just to install ordinary Wine which emulates 32-bit windows instead of the one which emulates 64-bit windows with WoW64? Not many wine apps that you can find that are 64-bit exclusive. I imagine the day will come but it's not today.

Return to “Software”