xiphos broken [partially solved]

Questions about software.
lilgman

xiphos broken [partially solved]

Postby lilgman » 02 Oct 2015 12:23

Hi,

I like http://xiphos.org/ for Bible reading and study. Unfortunately the current version (3.2.2) on Debian stable (also Testing and Sid) is partly broken. For example the Preferences dialog won't open, I can't insert links in the test editor, etc. This issue is a well documented problem related to incompatibilities with GTK3. It was fixed with version 4. The newest release is 4.0.4, but there seems to be no effort to update this in the Debian repository. I contacted Xiphos developers on IRC, but they just point me to the Ubuntu ppa.

I have several questions:

(1) Is there any way to motivate someone to update the Debian repository? I have no idea how this works, so any information would be appreciated.

(2) If Debian isn't updated, is there anyway to install from a PPA in such a way that one can easily uninstall if there are problems? I don't want to destablize my system, yet one of the programs I use the most has problems, so I'm willing to take some risks. Is there a way to isolate bianaries from a PPA so that I could just delete a folder or something?

(3) My linux experience is limited, but I have compiled a few things from source a few times. Is this a better option than PPA? Once again, is there a way to isolate what I compile so that it can be deleted if it causes problems? I've used

Code: Select all

apt-cache show [pkg]

to find out dependencies of packages on my system. How can I find out all the dependencies of a package that I want to compile?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Glenn

ilu

Re: xiphos broken

Postby ilu » 02 Oct 2015 14:12

lilgman wrote:(1) Is there any way to motivate someone to update the Debian repository? I have no idea how this works, so any information would be appreciated.

There are probably procedures but I don't know about those - on this bug report is a email adress of xiphos maintainer, you can try to contact that adress.
lilgman wrote:(2) If Debian isn't updated, is there anyway to install from a PPA in such a way that one can easily uninstall if there are problems? I don't want to destablize my system, yet one of the programs I use the most has problems, so I'm willing to take some risks. Is there a way to isolate bianaries from a PPA so that I could just delete a folder or something?

No. PPAs are for Ubuntu and it's derivates only.
lilgman wrote:(3) My linux experience is limited, but I have compiled a few things from source a few times. Is this a better option than PPA?

Yes. But I would try to ask the people at Xiphos first whether they can provide a .deb package. That would be the right form for our systems.
lilgman wrote:Once again, is there a way to isolate what I compile so that it can be deleted if it causes problems?

apt keeps a history about whatever you installed - at least synaptic does and as you already have the v. 3 of xiphos installed it will know what to deinstall.
lilgman wrote:How can I find out all the dependencies of a package that I want to compile?

~$ LANG=C apt-cache depends xiphos
xiphos
  Depends: gconf-service
    gconf-service:i386
  Depends: libatk1.0-0
  Depends: libc6
  Depends: libcairo-gobject2
  Depends: libcairo2
  Depends: libdbus-1-3
  Depends: libdbus-glib-1-2
  Depends: libenchant1c2a
  Depends: libgcc1
  Depends: libgconf-2-4
  Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0
  Depends: libglib2.0-0
  Depends: libgsf-1-114
  Depends: libgtk-3-0
  Depends: libgtkhtml-4.0-0
  Depends: libgtkhtml-4.0-0
  Depends: libgtkhtml-editor-4.0-0
  Depends: libgtkhtml-editor-4.0-0
  Depends: libjavascriptcoregtk-3.0-0
  Depends: libpango-1.0-0
  Depends: libpangocairo-1.0-0
  Depends: libsoup2.4-1
  Depends: libstdc++6
  Depends: libsword11
  Depends: libuuid1
  Depends: libwebkitgtk-3.0-0
  Depends: libxml2
  Depends: xiphos-data
  Suggests: <sword-text>
    sword-text-kjv
    sword-text-sparv
    sword-text-web
  Conflicts: <xiphos-svn>
  Conflicts: <xiphos-svn:i386>
  Replaces: xiphos-data
  Replaces: <xiphos-data:i386>
  Conflicts: xiphos:i386
But you probably mean what has to be included in the compiling process. I never compiled anything so I don't know. Have you looked at the source package for instructions? Maybe this http://xiphos.org/development/hacking-xiphos/ helps?
And maybe check the links on this https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgrepo ... age=xiphos page.

Zill

Postby Zill » 02 Oct 2015 14:28

lilgman: You are correct in that xiphos (3.2.2+dfsg1-1) is the current version for both Debian Stable (jessie) and Unstable (sid). As it has also been removed from Testing (stretch) this implies that packaging of a later version has stalled and this is apparent from the package tracker.

The reasons for this are explained in https://release.debian.org/migration/te ... age=xiphos

To answer your questions...

1) As with all FOSS, developers generally work on what they wish to work on. It is not really possible for us, as humble users, to "motivate" someone else to do some work on our behalf. All we can do is simply offer to help out and so, as a starting point, I suggest you contact the two maintainers listed here https://packages.debian.org/jessie/xiphos and see if you can help resolve the problem(s).

2) PPAs are for Ubuntu, not Debian, and so if you try to use them in SolydXK you will almost certainly break your system. In view of the dependency problems already flagged up with xiphos this risk is greatly increased.

3) Similarly, trying to compile from source will probably also leave you with dependency problems that will be very difficult to resolve and will, again, almost certainly break your system.

So, in summary, my best advice is to either offer to help the Debian maintainers yourself or, alternatively, wait and see if someone does get around to fixing this one and packaging v4.0.4 at a later date. If a new version is released then it will have to go into stretch as it cannot go to jessie and so you will either have to upgrade to SolydXK EE or use backports if you wish to remain on the main SolydXK edition.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 02 Oct 2015 19:22

GCC-5 issues with some of the dependencies. With that in mind, bothering the maintainers at this moment may not be the best idea.

This seems to suggest a 'new version' (4?) will be uploaded when the dependencies are available.

Considering they're mentioning a new dependency (biblesync) which currently doesn't appear to exist in Debian, I wonder if this new version will show up in backports.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 02 Oct 2015 21:58

there are some complicated situation between stable and testing so grabbing the package from stretch might not work. OTOH using PPA from older ubuntu (preferably 14.04 since it's an LTS ) might works. it's just a one piece program so your overall system stability will remain same. the worst case scenario would be xiphos doesn't work. in that case you can uninstall it simply by 'apt-get <packagename>'. it's recommended by xiphos dev himself so I'd say it's no risk. though, you'll need to manually add the PPA and remember to delete the PPA entry after installing newest xiphos.

lilgman

Postby lilgman » 05 Oct 2015 16:21

Thanks, everyone for your help and advice. The link that grizzler posted helps me understand the problem, and it appears that someone is working on it, or is at least aware of the problem. Since there are at least two missing dependencies, a deb from the developer won't help too much probably. For the moment, I will be patient and hope it comes into testing soon.

troypulk

Postby troypulk » 05 Oct 2015 19:54

@lilgman

In the mean time you could substitute Xiphos with Bibletime which works good but is not up to date to the latest version but will work in a pinch, it uses the same bible modules as well.

Troy

lilgman

Postby lilgman » 10 Oct 2015 12:12

Today I had a chance to study this problem a little more. I came acrossed http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=119049 on the Debian User Forums that I hadn't seen before. The problem is indeed with Gtk3, and on the 3rd page there is a link to a deb that is compiled with Gtk2 instead of 3. This is version 4.0.0. I installed this and everything seems to work so far. (At least there haven't been any explosions or purple smoke yet! ;) .

Here is what I did if anyone else ever wonders:

Back up /home/[username]/.sword. I think this is unnecessary, but just in case... This contains installed modules, personal commentaries, etc.

sudo apt-get remove xiphos
sudo apt-get remove xiphos-data
Then I downloaded the zip file of the deb mentioned above and extracted them.

From there I let Gdebi do the work. Install the xiphos-data.deb first then xiphos_amd64 or i386.deb second.

For those who are newbies like me, doing an dist-upgrade doesn't seem to affect this. I assume that if the Debian repository is updated (and Stretch becomes stable) then I will need to manually uninstall this and install the proper version then.

Return to “Software”