Freefilesync used to be in Synaptic

Questions about software.
aWanderer

Freefilesync used to be in Synaptic

Postby aWanderer » 18 Oct 2015 21:53

I used to be a fan of Freefilesync for backing up my data but I noticed one day that it had disappeared from my roster of programs. It's no longer to be found in Synaptic. I found a url where I can download it from but I'm curious why it would be removed so suddenly. The interface was right on. A Debian tarball should be fine, right (unlike Ubuntu)?

I used LuckyBackup last night and had the headache of "destination drive has run out of space" pop up because the program wasn't smart enough and I had to go in manually and re-arrange things. And then LB has the confusing option of "do NOT create a new folder in destination", which depending on path is necessary. LB doesn't give a very clear simulation report of what files are going to be deleted, what percentage change etc. (Sometimes renaming and shuffling a few folders in the destination can save many gigabytes of crunching).

Zill

Re: Freefilesync used to be in Synaptic

Postby Zill » 18 Oct 2015 22:22

aWanderer: I cannot find any reference to a Debian release containing a package for FreeFileSync so which Debian release do you recall had this? If a package is not in the Debian repos then I suggest you may be able to install this application directly from the URL you posted but, as this is not an "official" Debian package, this may have dependency problems.

I am not sure if you had a question about luckyBackup but I cannot see why you say it is not "smart enough" when it did, apparently, advise that your "destination drive has run out of space"!

FWIW, I have used luckyBackup, both with and without cron, for all my backup purposes for several years now and it has always worked faultlessly.

aWanderer

Postby aWanderer » 19 Oct 2015 03:26

True enough, LB did warn that it had run out of space. The issue is that it didn't execute the 'delete files' before it went ahead and started writing files and plowed into running out of space. I, as a human, was smart enough to figure out the mess. I'm not sure that FFS would have done the same thing or not but I want software that is smarter than me :)

I might be confusing a package manager entry for FFS with the Manjaro one. Thanks for the advice.

Ghstryder

Postby Ghstryder » 19 Oct 2015 12:27

I haven't tried it, but have you looked at Unison? It is packaged for Debian and in the repos.

It matches up feature-wise with Freefilesync Comparison of File Sync Software.

Freefilesync has an ITP (Intent to Package) entry, but there has been no activity for quite some time.

aWanderer

Postby aWanderer » 20 Oct 2015 05:11

Ghstryder wrote:I haven't tried it, but have you looked at Unison? It is packaged for Debian and in the repos.

It matches up feature-wise with Freefilesync Comparison of File Sync Software.

Freefilesync has an ITP (Intent to Package) entry, but there has been no activity for quite some time.
I hope Debian does add FFS to the repos.

I will try Unison and report back :D
Thank you!

Return to “Software”