Debian 8.3 update

Questions about software.
kyomar

Debian 8.3 update

Postby kyomar » 17 Feb 2016 05:00

Hi, perhaps a stupid question but how can I update solydx to debian 8.3? I am hoping for newer packages like gnucash which is far behind the current available version.
Thank you!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Debian 8.3 update

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 17 Feb 2016 07:01

If you have kept your system updated then it should already have the 8.3 point release.

GnuCash has a newer version in backports:

Code: Select all

arjen@solydk64 ~ $ apt policy gnucash
gnucash:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1:2.6.4-3
  Version table:
     1:2.6.11-1~bpo8+1 0
        100 http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ jessie-backports/main amd64 Packages
     1:2.6.4-3 0
        500 http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ jessie/main amd64 Packages
However, you should think whether or not it's worth to install packages from backports. Are you missing features that are only available in the backports version?

If you need a package from backports, this is how to install it:

sudo apt install -t jessie-backports gnucash
After installation gnucash will receive updates from backports rather than the regular repository.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Zill

Postby Zill » 17 Feb 2016 11:58

There is a common misconception that Debian point releases introduce newer functionality. This is not the case as these point releases are simply a method of incorporating the latest security patches into the current Debian Stable release, ensuring that ISOs reflect the latest build standard thereby reducing the number of packages needed to be upgraded following a new installation.

SolydXK main edition is based on Debian Stable and so this means that most packages are effectively fixed for the life of the release. Only when Stable changes (from Jessie to Stretch) will later packages be incorporated.

See "Point Releases" and "Are there package upgrades in `stable'?":
Point Releases

Even stable is updated once in a while. Those updates are called "Point Releases". They usually incorporate the security fixes released until the time of the update and fixes for grave bugs in the current release.
Are there package upgrades in `stable'?

No new functionality is added to the stable release. Once a Debian version is released and tagged `stable' it will only get security updates. That is, only packages for which a security vulnerability has been found after the release will be upgraded.
p.s. To verify your current installed release, just open a terminal and enter the following command:

cat /etc/debian_version

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 17 Feb 2016 21:01

To summarize : 8.3 means that it's the 3rd iso release of debian 8. It's the number of the iso release, not a debian version.

The differences between 8.3 and older iso release is that 8.3 already got all security updates when the iso got released. However, both are debian 8. The new iso release was intended to make "new installation" easier but any iso release are technically same. Old user should not worry about it. New debian (9) will got released in next 1-2 years. Until that time you can ignore every debian 8.x release news and happily enjoy your system :3

kyomar

Postby kyomar » 18 Feb 2016 03:03

Hey guys, thank you very much for all those great explanations. Finally I know what point releases are and as kurotsugi suggested I will ignore 8.x releases and happily enjoy the system (which I did already thanks to this great distro and the awesome community).
I will get gnucash from the backports (thanks Schoelje for explaining how to do that) as there are many bug fixes which I need.
Many thanks again,
Markus aka Kyomar

Return to “Software”