GNUcash upgrade

Questions about software.
jerry007

GNUcash upgrade

Postby jerry007 » 30 Aug 2016 15:49

HI,
GNUcash 2.6.4 comes with Solydxk - I mean it is available to install from the software manager. This is an old version and the current one is 2.6.13.
Is it safe to delete 2.6.4 and install 2.6.13 from the GNU site?

2.6.13 comes in a tarball and my computer activates word processor, so I can not install it anyway. If only I could handle tar balls.

An alternate route is to do the upgrades. GNUcash gives this message;

"Important update notification

If you are updating from gnucash 2.6.0-2.6.4 on linux, you are advised to remove the guile user cache or several parts of gnucash may fail to work properly. This user cache can be found in .cache/guile/ccache/2.0-LE-8-2.0/ in your home directory. It's safe to remove the whole contents of this directory.

Note .cache is a hidden folder in your home directory. You may have to change your file manager's settings in order to view hidden files and folders."

I have no idea how to remove this directory. Can you advise on the how to remove aspect?

Is it safe to do the updates? Does anyone know how current of upgrades we can use safely with Solydk? All of them or does it break at a certain one?

Thanks for your help,
Jerry

kurotsugi

Re: GNUcash upgrade

Postby kurotsugi » 30 Aug 2016 20:14

first thing first, please give us the result of 'inxi -r' and 'apt-cache policy gnucash'

Zill

Postby Zill » 30 Aug 2016 20:19

jerry007: Firstly, let me welcome you to SolydXK forums and I trust that you will enjoy using this great distro. If you would like to post in the "Introduce yourself" section it will be great to hear a bit more about who you are and how you got here!

You post raises various questions so I will try to clarify as follows:

SolydXK is a fixed release based on Debian stable and so this means that the packages do not effectively change from one Debian release to the next, apart from security fixes. As Debian stable is currently "jessie" (Debian 8), this means that GnuCash will remain at v2.6.4 until "stretch" (Debian 9) becomes the new stable.

There is a mechanism to provide later versions of selected software via Debian backports, but there is always a risk that installing backported software could degrade the stability of your system. See https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/ for further details.

Unless you are extremely experienced with Linux systems then it is strongly recommended that you do not attempt to install any software other than that available in the Debian repos. Please see Debian Wiki article entitled "DontBreakDebian".

Specifically, installing any software from source (a tarball) as you suggested, will almost certainly land you in "dependency hell" as you lose the advantages of installing via the Debian package system which automatically takes care of all dependencies. Installing from source will also exclude any such software from the automatic security updates that other packages on the system will receive, again possibly leading to dependency conflicts.

So, in summary, while you could install software from source via a tarball, I strongly recommend that you do not do this unless you know how to deal with all the dependency problems that will, almost inevitably, arise.

If you really need a later version of GnuCash than v2.6.4 then I suggest you consider installing v2.6.11 from Debian backports, which is the latest version that should run correctly on Debian jessie and SolydXK.

You should note that GnuCash v2.6.13 is available for Debian stretch (currently testing). As the SolydXK Enthusiast Editions (EE) are based on Debian testing, this would give you the later package but please note that Debian testing is liable to frequent and sustained breakage and so is not recommended for production use.

kyomar

Postby kyomar » 30 Aug 2016 22:58

Schoelje helped me to update gnucash from backport a while back in this post: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6176&p=59511#p59511

Code: Select all

sudo apt install -t jessie-backports gnucash
It's a shame gnucash doesn't get updated more frequent in debian's backport as there are always important improvements (e.g. fixing annoying bugs).

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 31 Aug 2016 07:44

Currently, the backported version is: 1:2.6.11-1~bpo8+1

You might consider this version first before you try any other option that might destabilize your system.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Return to “Software”