SOLVED Chromium Sound and Video Playback Broken with Latest Update

Questions about software.
MatthewLM

SOLVED Chromium Sound and Video Playback Broken with Latest Update

Postby MatthewLM » 12 Dec 2016 23:55

Hello

I updated the software recently and I got a problem with chromium playing back HTML5 video too fast. And all of the sound is chopped up and unrecognisable.

Chromium version: 55.0.2883.75-1~deb8u1
Pulseaudio version: 5.0-13

Sound works on other applications, though my master volume control (KDE) is not acting linearly. The volume decreases far too much when I reduce the volume.

In the volume manager it shows Chromium as "ALSA Plugin [chromium] ALSA Playback". After that text it continuously flashes "on" as though it's turning on and off all of the time.

I saw this in the logs which might help:

Code: Select all

Dec 12 23:37:42 matts-pc pulseaudio[24095]: [alsa-sink-USB Audio] alsa-sink.c: ALSA woke us up to write new data to the device, but there was actually nothing to write!
Dec 12 23:37:42 matts-pc pulseaudio[24095]: [alsa-sink-USB Audio] alsa-sink.c: Most likely this is a bug in the ALSA driver 'snd_usb_audio'. Please report this issue to the ALSA developers.
Dec 12 23:37:42 matts-pc pulseaudio[24095]: [alsa-sink-USB Audio] alsa-sink.c: We were woken up with POLLOUT set -- however a subsequent snd_pcm_avail() returned 0 or another value < min_avail.

Regards,

Matthew

MatthewLM

Re: Chromium Sound and Video Playback Broken with Latest Update

Postby MatthewLM » 13 Dec 2016 10:37

Solution: Install newer pulseaudio from jessie-backports:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get -t jessie-backports install pulseaudio
Followed by a restart.

Clearly the pulseaudio that is in the main jessie repository is broken.

Return to “Software”