Connecting Android devices

Questions about software.
ilu

Connecting Android devices

Postby ilu » 22 Dec 2016 17:26

Since a friend asked me: Which software do you use to connect Android mobile phones to your SolydX system for backup and data (photo) transfer?

troypulk

Re: Connecting Android devices

Postby troypulk » 22 Dec 2016 17:46

I have an unlocked and rooted OnePlus One running CM 13.0

On SolydX EE 64bit for me it is easier just too e-mail yourself and download it to your computer.

When I plug in my phone solydx does not see it, the only way I have found is by using https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MTP

But Like I said it's easier just too mail it to yourself.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 22 Dec 2016 17:53

solydx could handle both mtp and ptp protocol natively from thunar. nothing else required. just make sure your usb mode is mtp (for all files) or ptp (pics only)

troypulk

Postby troypulk » 23 Dec 2016 03:20

kurotsugi wrote:solydx could handle both mtp and ptp protocol natively from thunar. nothing else required. just make sure your usb mode is mtp (for all files) or ptp (pics only)
I'm using Android 6.0.1 and Thunar will only do ptp through "Removable Drives and Media" using shotwell, mtp does not work, at least I have never found a way to make it work in Thunar 1.6.10

I have USB debugging enabled and all USB connections set to mtp in the phone, that's why I ended up using https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MTP

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 23 Dec 2016 07:45

taken from the same page.
Integration with file managers

To view the contents of your Android device's storage via MTP in your file manager, install the corresponding plugin:

For file managers that use GVFS (GNOME Files), install gvfs-mtp for MTP or gvfs-gphoto2 for PTP support.
For file managers that use KIO (KDE's Dolphin), MTP support is included in kio-extras (dependency of dolphin).

After installing the required package, the device should show up in the file manager automatically and be accessible via an URL, for example mtp://[usb:002,013]/.
mine is also android 6. I've been using this trick since ICS, when the first time it's used on android, we were using go-mtpfs but later it's implemented on gvfs-fuse. AFAIK libmtp9 and gvfs-fuse is installed as default so MTP should work out of the box. the PTP mode isn't available on every device. we usually only have MTP.

troypulk

Postby troypulk » 23 Dec 2016 16:14

kurotsugi wrote:taken from the same page.
Integration with file managers

To view the contents of your Android device's storage via MTP in your file manager, install the corresponding plugin:

For file managers that use GVFS (GNOME Files), install gvfs-mtp for MTP or gvfs-gphoto2 for PTP support.
For file managers that use KIO (KDE's Dolphin), MTP support is included in kio-extras (dependency of dolphin).

After installing the required package, the device should show up in the file manager automatically and be accessible via an URL, for example mtp://[usb:002,013]/.
mine is also android 6. I've been using this trick since ICS, when the first time it's used on android, we were using go-mtpfs but later it's implemented on gvfs-fuse. AFAIK libmtp9 and gvfs-fuse is installed as default so MTP should work out of the box. the PTP mode isn't available on every device. we usually only have MTP.
I have libmtp9 and gvfs-fuse installed but it does not mount automatically, gvfs-mtp is not found in apt-get install gvfs-mtp > E: Unable to locate package gvfs-mtp but I'm using solydx EE 64bit, maybe this file is not in the EE repo.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 23 Dec 2016 21:30

gvfs-mtp didn't exist because it integrated with gvfs fuse. it won't mounted due to security mechanism on android (you need to open the lockscreen to access the data) but the device will showed up on thunar. you can click it to mount it.

btw, which tool did you use?

troypulk

Postby troypulk » 24 Dec 2016 01:39

kurotsugi wrote:gvfs-mtp didn't exist because it integrated with gvfs fuse. it won't mounted due to security mechanism on android (you need to open the lockscreen to access the data) but the device will showed up on thunar. you can click it to mount it.

btw, which tool did you use?

I use jmtpfs ~/Android To mount phone file system

I have my phone set to stay awake and the screen never locks unless I do it, but it does not mount anyway.

I've checked on the net and there are others as well that say Thunar does not mount mtp automatically.

what's your system? or what Thunar version do you have?

EDIT:

I have a solydx 32bit stock system set up and when I plug in my phone it works as you say no issues, Thunar mounts and displays the phone files.

The files are different though,

gvfs-fuse - 1.22.2-1
libmtp9 - 1.1.8-1+b1
thunar-volman 0.8.0-4
Thunar - 1.6.3

Installed on my solydx EE 64bit is:

gvfs-fuse - 1.30.2-2
libmtp9 - 1.1.12-1
thunar-volman 0.8.1-2
Thunar - 1.6.10

I think this is why it does not work in EE 64bit.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 24 Dec 2016 05:29

I'm using EE just like you. the mtp function always work. by any chance, you're not using a samsung, do you? google didn't strictly define how a device connected via usb. they only mandate that vendor must support mtp connection. that's why some handset have different options. my lenovo have standard usb storage mode, mtp mode, ptp mode, and cd mode. my sony OTOH only have storage and mtp mode.

the mtp implementation also not same. my lenovo, sony, and xiaomi always work. OTOH samsung have different mtp implementation and they sometimes didn't work well on linux. it is well known that samsung often messed up their codes.

troypulk

Postby troypulk » 24 Dec 2016 08:15

I have a OnePlus One running CyanogenMod 13.0 using Android 6.0.1

My USB configuration options are:
charging
mtp
ptp
usb ethernet - RNDIS
audio source
MIDI

I think it is something either in Thunar or EE because it works just fine in a stock 32bit system.

ilu

Postby ilu » 23 Jul 2019 16:18

This is an old thread but I'm completing this Info here to help myself and others in the future: mtp should work with Thunar ootb. go-mtpfs mtp-tools and jmtpfs might be needed or not, I don't know because I installed them previously. If it doesn't work check whether your phone is still in charging mode. In Lineage (former Cyanogen) slide the notification panel down, tap the battery loading symbol, choose "more options" and switch it into file transfer /mtp mode.

Also shotwell is a pita because it immediately captures the phone connection hindering you to do anything else. Close it and, if necessary, re-mount the phone to access it with Thunar /gvfs.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 23 Jul 2019 21:52

they aren't needed anymore. gvfs-fuse will handle everything. I think they want to simplify things. by using gvfs-fuse, every browser with gvfs integration should works

troypulk

Postby troypulk » 24 Jul 2019 04:09

I installed gMTP and it would mount properly.

At the time it was probably CyanogenMod 13.0, when LinageOS 14 came along I flashed the ROM and also installed gMTP so it was one of them.

I haven't had any problems since.

Return to “Software”