Question about package Housework :-)

Questions about software.
falke

Question about package Housework :-)

Postby falke » 16 Mar 2017 07:07

Hi,

I'm trying to do some housework in my unsued package following this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6378

I found something very strange

In the update manager where I run in maintenance menu - suppression des paquet inutiles (cleaning of unusefull packages)

N:b : does the same output result as the command : sudo apt-get remove --purge `deborphan`

i get these packages proposed :

Code: Select all

Les paquets suivants seront ENLEVÉS :
  deluge-torrent* gstreamer1.0-x* libiec61883-0* libkdc2-heimdal* libmikmod3* libparted-fs-resize0* libportmidi0* libquvi7*
  libreadline5* libsbc1* libsdl-ttf2.0-0* libsmpeg0* libspeechd2* libvo-aacenc0* libvo-amrwbenc0*
  libwebrtc-audio-processing-0*
0 mis à jour, 0 nouvellement installés, 16 à enlever et 0 non mis à jour.
the pb is that when I launch an apt repends <package> for each package in order to be sure that no other installed package needs it, the majority of them are still needed for another package.

does anyone could explain me this strange behaviour ?

Does this ouput give me the name of package that could be needed by other packages in the repos that are not installed yet ? (I think not)
Or may there be dependencies from outside Solydk distro package (ppas, .deb) that have been installed and uninstalled later on ?

I know that deborphan can be unaccurate but so much unaccuracy is very strange.

Zill

Re: Question about package Housework :-)

Postby Zill » 16 Mar 2017 12:01

Personally, I would not remove any packages unless I was certain this would not cause any problems.

Unless you are really short of disk space, my advice is just to leave packages installed as the space they take up is trivially small.

ilu

Postby ilu » 17 Mar 2017 02:13

deborphan can be dangerous. Backup your system before you use it. I don't know which mechanisms deborphans uses.
If rdepends tells you that a package is needed, better believe it. If you want to check, look up the packages on packages.debian.org. I expect rdepends to be correct.
Does this ouput give me the name of package that could be needed by other packages in the repos that are not installed yet ? (I think not)
Or may there be dependencies from outside Solydk distro package (ppas, .deb) that have been installed and uninstalled later on ?
I don't really understand this. Just trust rdepends.

falke

Postby falke » 17 Mar 2017 08:43

hi ilu,

I know yet the answer :
I don't really understand this. Just trust rdepends.
apt -rdepends outputs all possible reverse depends even if not installed

instead of it the option

apt-cache rdepends --installed <package>

outputs only reverse depedencies if the "reverse dependencie" is installed...

ilu

Postby ilu » 17 Mar 2017 15:21

Ah, you did not write the commands you used! I should have asked. It doesn't matter whether you use "apt rdepends" or "apt-cache rdepends" as long as you add "--installed". Good catch.

Return to “Software”