SolydX-EE as bridge to SolydX Stretch

Questions about software.
escolar

SolydX-EE as bridge to SolydX Stretch

Postby escolar » 19 Mar 2017 19:38

I have bought a new HP Stream 11-y000ns. I have a HP Stream 11-d015ns with SolydX working perfectly ( https://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5501 ).

The new 11-y000ns have different and newer hardware (specially wifi) and I'd like to install a modern kernel and software, but have a stable system based in Debian Stretch when it will be released because it will be used to work.

It's a good idea to install SolydX-ee now and change the repositories when the new Solydx be released?

Now I'm working with other 11 years old notebook, so I may wait, although I have bought the new one because the screen is dying, I think.

Zill

Re: SolydX-EE as bridge to SolydX Stretch

Postby Zill » 19 Mar 2017 20:46

escolar wrote:... I'd like to install a modern kernel and software, but have a stable system based in Debian Stretch when it will be released because it will be used to work.

It's a good idea to install SolydX-ee now and change the repositories when the new Solydx be released?
IMHO, you could install SolydX-EE now by using "stretch" in the repos, rather than "testing". This means that, when the new stable SolydX is released, your /etc/apt/sources.list should not need changing again, although you will need to add the the stretch security and backports repos.

However, while SolydX-EE currently seems to be far less buggy than SolydK-EE, it should be remembered that this is still a testing version and does still have bugs.

When stretch does become the new stable, most of the serious bugs will have gone, but there are always a few that slip through the net!

So, as you need this system for work, my advice would be to delay installing until a month or two after the new, stable, SolydX (stretch) has been released to allow time for the remaining de-bugging and fine-tuning to be carried out. You should then have a really reliable SolydX system. :-)

escolar

Postby escolar » 20 Mar 2017 15:57

Thanks for your suggestion

My plan is to try to install SolydX-ee during Eastern holidays and not use it for working until SolydX Stretch be released. If my current notebook for working dies I'll use the other HP Stream with stable SolydX that I have at home and I'll use the new one at home.

Zill

Postby Zill » 20 Mar 2017 16:09

A good plan! :-)

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 27 Mar 2017 01:36

if you follow Zill's advice above, you can update your system as usual and happily enjoy a seamless transition between solydxk-EE and solydxk during stretch release. you only need to make sure that your repo list is pointing to "stretch" and not "testing".

escolar

Postby escolar » 27 Mar 2017 14:10

Thanks for your answers

I suppose I'll have to change the solydxk-ee reference in sources.list to solydxk-9 too, when the transition happens

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 27 Mar 2017 14:39

Yes, and don't forget to remove the solydxee-info package.

Actually, if you do that, I think solydxk-system's adjust_sources.py script will change sources.list for you.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

escolar

Postby escolar » 27 Mar 2017 15:00

Thanks

I'll do it

Return to “Software”