Device Driver Manager (DDM) - help needed [upd:20-10-15]

Questions about software.
just

Re: Device Driver Manager (DDM) - help needed [upd:22-12-14]

Postby just » 27 May 2015 10:09

As I'm completely agree with Zill's point of view about low priority regarding interface and theming changes :) , i'll postpone the Metro studies. Will try to investigate about DDM more in details again.

just

Postby just » 27 May 2015 14:23

Schoelje wrote:I have some old versions in the dev directory, do they have the same problem?..
Yes, they do. Unfortunately.

The situation here is, from bad to worst:

a) 2.1.0 and 2.0.7 <-- less troubles
b) 2.0.8
c) 2.0.9 <-- most troubles

No one install anything from menu. 2.0.7 and 2.1.0 leave the system alive for some seconds, then freeze it. After failed menu launches, both 2.0.7 and 2.1.0 allow consecutive launches from terminal. Installing Bumblebee at the end.

2.0.8 from menu freezes almost immediately. I have a time only to start moving the mouse. Then the system dies. Incredibly, but 2.0.8 inhibits any consecutive executions from both terminal and menu. Once the system is restored, only the very first 2.0.8 launch directly from terminal installs Bumblebee.

2.0.9 is the most cruel among the four. Launched from menu, doesn't give a second to flag the Install checkbox and/or click the Install button. Kills the system immediately and forever. On a virgin system, launched from terminal, opens the DDM window and immediately freezes the system again. 2.0.9 kills the system so fast, that it has no time to write somethnig in ddm.log or in terrmnal. ddm.log for 2.0.9 always remains at 0 (zero) bytes in size.

In attachment there are all logs and outputs. They are named in chronological order, in order the tests were executed. But I can't find anything interesting within them. When DDM works, it completes well and everything is OK in logs and outputs. When it freezes, it doesn't leave anything anywhere.

By no mean the problem is related to the install-nvidia script. With only one, purely cosmteic change, I execute your code directly in LMDE-1-Debian and LMDE-2-Betsy. Your code works like a charm in LMDE! Clem and guys may use it as is. So it's not a problem with the code.

Something happens when graphical elements (ddm window, control boxes and buttons, lists, activity/progress indicator, etc) are coming into the game. But this goes beyond my controls. Don't know, where to look further. I'm sorry for discovering the problem only now. Hopefully, it happens only on my hardware.
Attachments
ddm-tests.tar.gz
DDM 2.0.7, 2.0.8, 2.0.9 test results. Nothing interesting.
(42.36 KiB) Downloaded 155 times

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 27 May 2015 15:06

Could you please run this command on a freezing installation with the latest DDM:

Code: Select all

sudo sed -i 's/log = f.read()/log = f.read(20)/' /usr/lib/ddm/ddm.py
and run DDM again.

If it works, please do the same on a working installation with the latest DDM and see if it's still functioning with this hack.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

just

Postby just » 27 May 2015 15:30

Schoelje wrote:Could you please run this command on a freezing installation...
done on the freezing system.

1. ddm 2.1.0
2. checked that the /usr/lib/ddm/ddm.py file is effectively changed: yes, it has log = f.read(20) now.
3. launching ddm from menu
4. the system freezes immediately :(

won't apply the hack on the working system. seems like it doesn't do the job.

just

Postby just » 27 May 2015 15:35

Schoelje, wait a minute, please! I was applying the hack on the system probably already damaged by the previuos DDM runs. Will restore the virgin system and redo the test. It'll take 2 minutes.

just

Postby just » 27 May 2015 15:55

Know what? It's easy for you to hack your own code on your own distro :D . But why your DDM doesn't work for me in siduction?

After applying the hack on the virgin freezing system, DDM 2.1.0, launched from menu, worked perfectly. Bumblebee is installed in the usual very polished way. The freezing system doesn't freeze anymore :) .

Will proceed on the working system now. It'll take a bit longer, as I dont' have a good ready-to-use backup for it. Hope to finish in 30 mins.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 27 May 2015 16:01

Don't worry. I'll be able to see the results tomorrow. Gotto go now.

SolydXK needs you!

just

Postby just » 27 May 2015 17:17

The same patch was applied on the working (stable) computer. The one which has never had serious problems with DDM, no freezes.

After modifying the ddm.py program with sed and checking that it uses the new f.read(20) function, the hacked DDM 2.1.0 was started from the menu.

Everything went well. Bumblebee installation was completed successfully, exactly as with original DDM 2.1.0. Can't find any difference in system's behaviour between using hacked and not hacked DDM.

Both freezing and stable computers works equally nice with hacked DDM 2.1.0.

For me the question is closed. Well done, Schoelje.

just

Postby just » 28 May 2015 03:08

I tested DDM 2.1.0 on a third computer. This one has pure, non-hybrid AMD Radeon HD 6650M (Whistler) graphics. Both DDM versions were tested - non patched and with the 20-bytes patch applied. Those that uses f.read(20) method. DDM was launched from menu.

The result is identical and positive in both cases. DDM runs and terminates smoothly. After reboot the system is up and running fluidly. ATI Catalyst Control Center utility opens and has no problem to set any of ATI-related parameters. I'm not aware of some ATI-specific utilities, similar to Nvidia's Optimus optirun with glxspheres64, to run reliable Catalyst drivers tests.

All tests were always done on fully updated SolydK64-20150512 nightly build. Currently I have no other hardware to test DDM on.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 28 May 2015 05:41

I have packaged and uploaded the new DDM.

SolydXK needs you!

just

Postby just » 14 Jun 2015 14:47

The freeze strikes back. With DDM 2.1.1. Fortunately, as in the past, on one computer only. Unfortunately, on the stable SolydK64-201506.

1. On Acer with AMD Radeon HD 6650M, where DDM has never had a problem, the 2.1.1 contunues to work perfectly. Launched from menu, systemsettings, terminal installs the latest ATI Catalyst. No problem at all.

2. It was tested and worked perfectly on Dell XPS 17 monster with Nvidia-Optimus GeForce GT 555M. Which I'm not using anymore. It was nicknamed "stable". DDM has never had a problem on it. That monster is rock-solid.

3. It was not tested on Acer with Nvidia-Optimus GeForce GT 750M. Mea culpa :oops: .The one I've decided to stick with. It was nicknamed "freezing". All previous freezes were related only to this one.

DDM 2.1.1 totally freezes it when launched in either of three possible ways:
  • from systemsettings
  • from menu
  • from terminal
Even the conky's seconds hand stops moving. The fans are going crazy. There's no need to click any checkbox or any button in DDM's window. The only fact that DDM's GUI opens locks the computer. In less than 4 seconds.

When installed by hand, Bumblebee works perfectly on this box with SolydXK. With Arch, Debian, Fedora, Slack, Suse. With some of their clones/derivatives.

The 20-bytes patched ddm.py 2.1.1 now reads as

log = f.read(20).decode("utf-8", "ignore")
while in old working 2.1.0 it was limited to

log = f.read(20)
Sorry.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 14 Jun 2015 18:05

Thanks for reporting, Just.
However, I'll have to pass on this one. If anyone else with Python knowledge and the right hardware knows how to fix this I'd very much appreciate it.

SolydXK needs you!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Device Driver Manager (DDM) - help needed [upd:20-10-15]

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 20 Oct 2015 12:49

I could use some help on DDM again.

I've updated the Broadcom devices list. So, if you have a (new) Broadcom network card you can try it out.

I also moved the separate bash scripts into a single bash script: /usr/bin/install-driver
This script is used by the DDM GUI but can also be used from the terminal. Especially when you are running a live session and you would need the Broadcom drivers to get a network, you could install the drivers with this command:

sudo install-driver broadcom
and it would install the sta package from the ISO if needed.

I have no means of testing this (still no Ati, Nvidia, Broadcom or PAE). So, your help is very much appreciated.

OP has been updated (instructions on how to install from testing): http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7

SolydXK needs you!

ilu

Postby ilu » 28 Oct 2015 13:49

I had a problem with video drivers (see http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5944) and clicked "help" in DDM. It tried to open file:///usr/lib/ddm/html/help.html in firefox but that file does not exist on that system (and not on mine either). Should it be there?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 28 Oct 2015 15:24

ilu wrote:I had a problem with video drivers (see http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5944) and clicked "help" in DDM. It tried to open file:///usr/lib/ddm/html/help.html in firefox but that file does not exist on that system (and not on mine either). Should it be there?
Thanks and fixed.

SolydXK needs you!

makkon

Postby makkon » 04 Feb 2016 18:35

Schoelje!
Hello. Help me to understand, mintdrivers_1.2.4_all.deb is not possible to install? Understand that other dependencies and to whom to give preference. The question is simple - in reality what better mintdrivers_1.2.4 or a Device Driver Manager (DDM)?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 04 Feb 2016 19:35

I made DDM for SolydXK. I don't know mintdrivers. I cannot support anything I don't know.

SolydXK needs you!

makkon

Postby makkon » 05 Feb 2016 13:45

Schoelje wrote:I made DDM for SolydXK
Sorry, I read
just wrote: I execute your code directly in LMDE-1-Debian and LMDE-2-Betsy. Your code works like a charm in LMDE! Clem and guys may use it as is. So it's not a problem with the code
and thought that you have a joint development, the DDM installed everything correctly. Thank you.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 05 Feb 2016 14:02

If DDM works in LMDE that is by pure coincidence. Unfortunately I'm the only developer for SolydXK.

SolydXK needs you!

Return to “Software”