Upgrade 8 -> 9. Removing obsolete packages issue.

Questions about software.
MatthewLM

Upgrade 8 -> 9. Removing obsolete packages issue.

Postby MatthewLM » 07 Dec 2017 17:03

I just used the upgrade script and I've rebooted my PC without major problems but when I try to remove the obsolete packages I get this:

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-get purge $(cat obsolete.txt)
[sudo] password for matt:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 librtmp1 : Depends: libgnutls-deb0-28 (>= 3.2.10-0) but it is not going to be installed
            Depends: libhogweed2 but it is not going to be installed
            Depends: libnettle4 but it is not going to be installed
N: Ignoring file '50unattended-upgrades.ucf-old' in directory '/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

I tried this command:

$ sudo apt-get -s remove librtmp1
Building dependency tree       

libcurl3-gnutls : Depends: librtmp1 (>= 2.4+20131018.git79459a2-3~) but it is not going to be installed
 python-talloc : Breaks: python-samba (< 2:4.3.6+dfsg-2) but 2:4.2.14+dfsg-0+deb8u9 is to be installed
N: Ignoring file '50unattended-upgrades.ucf-old' in directory '/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

kurotsugi

Re: Upgrade 8 -> 9. Removing obsolete packages issue.

Postby kurotsugi » 08 Dec 2017 00:53

instead of using that list, you can do it safely by using deborphan combo and aptitude.
the deborphan combo : "aptitude purge $(deborphan)"
as for the aptitude. run aptitude on graphic mode then go through obsolete section. remove them all.

ilu

Postby ilu » 08 Dec 2017 03:06

stretch has libgnutls30, jessie had libgnutls28. I'm not completely sure but I think librtmp1 is the same version for jessie and stretch, just the dependencies have to change which they obviously did not on your system. Instead of removing you could try reinstalling librtmp1 and every other package that gives trouble. Make sure your /etc/apt/sources.list has no remnants of jessie first.

Regarding the obsolete list do as kurotsugi said.

You have to remember that the upgrade scripts were developed and tested at a certain point in time - 6 months ago. So there'a a chance they won't work correctly anymore.

MatthewLM

Postby MatthewLM » 08 Dec 2017 12:00

Edit: I'm going to do a fresh install. I think ideally the update script ought to be taken down or updated so that it warns people of this problem.

----------------------------------------

Thanks for the replies. I noticed the obsolete.txt file has packages installed using .deb files, and also includes some packages that still exist such as ksnapshot.

I purged the packages from deborphan. However some packages need to be removed such as updatemanager right?

I noticed that with an apt-get upgrade, many packages are kept back. I'm not sure why this is considering that they should have all been upgraded with dist-upgrade.

Looking at dist-upgrade:

$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -s
Building dependency tree
Calculating upgrade... Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have

libkf5screen-bin : Breaks: kscreen (< 4:5.8) but 1.0.2.1-1 is to be installed
 libkf5screen7 : Breaks: kscreen (< 4:5.8) but 1.0.2.1-1 is to be installed
 libkompareinterface5 : Recommends: kpart5-kompare but it is not going to be installed
                        Breaks: kompare (< 4:14.12.3+git20150408) but 4:4.14.0-1 is to be installed

It doesn't seem to want to upgrade certain packages:

$ apt-cache policy kscreen
kscreen:
  Installed: 1.0.2.1-1
  Candidate: 4:5.8.5-2
  Version table:
     4:5.8.5-2 0
        500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stretch/main amd64 Packages
 *** 1.0.2.1-1 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

$ sudo apt-get install kscreen -s
Building dependency tree       

gvfs : Depends: gvfs-daemons (>= 1.22.2-1)
        Depends: gvfs-daemons (< 1.22.2-1.1~)
 kscreen : Depends: kde-cli-tools but it is not going to be installed
           Depends: plasma-framework but it is not going to be installed
           Recommends: upower
 libthunarx-2-0 : Depends: thunar-data (= 1.6.3-2) but 1.6.11-1 is to be installed
 pkg-config : Depends: libdpkg-perl but it is not going to be installed
 python-talloc : Breaks: python-samba (< 2:4.3.6+dfsg-2) but 2:4.2.14+dfsg-0+deb8u9 is to be installed
 xserver-xorg-input-all : Depends: xserver-xorg-input-libinput but it is not going to be installed
                          Recommends: xserver-xorg-input-wacom but it is not going to be installed

Is this situation resolvable or do I have to go through the task of reinstalling the entire system?

ilu

Postby ilu » 08 Dec 2017 16:12

Part of your system is still jessie. Did you try using apt-get install --reinstall liprtmp1 to see whether that helps? Did you have a look whether aptitude still shows obsolete packages?
What is the content of your obsolete.txt? Which packages from obsolete.txt are still not removed?
Do you mean by "obsolete.txt file has packages installed using .deb files" that you have installed those by using deb files? Which ones? This might have caused problems.
I'm seeing kde-cli-tools and thunar in your listings. Are you on KDE or XFCE?

MatthewLM

Postby MatthewLM » 08 Dec 2017 16:22

I had both Xfce and KDE. I'm using KDE now and didn't remove Xfce. Maybe using both caused issues.

I cannot reinstall librtmp1:

$ sudo apt-get install --reinstall librtmp1
Building dependency tree       
Reinstallation of librtmp1 is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1125 not upgraded.

The obsolete.txt included packages that were installed using .deb files, yes.

I'm about to do a system fresh install. I'd like to keep the /home partition, but I have a backup if I run into problems. Fingers crossed.

ilu

Postby ilu » 08 Dec 2017 16:24

Just to see what happens, show the output of apt-get -f install.

And yes, I think a fresh install is in order. Safest way (especially if you are on KDE because of the plasma change) is to create a small new /home and copy over everything you want to keep afterwards. You can keep and mount the old /home as data partition. That way your data will not be touched during any new install. Here is an example for the procedure: https://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7105&p=67011#p67011

MatthewLM

Postby MatthewLM » 08 Dec 2017 16:43

That gives:

$ sudo apt-get -f install
[sudo] password for matt:
Building dependency tree       
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1125 not upgraded.

My plan was to install a new system to the / partition, and then change fstab to mount the previous home partition to /home. What problem is that likely to cause? I don't like the idea of separating the old home with the new home, and I'll pretty much want to copy over everything. If it's a problem with local configuration files, then I can change those as necessary. Perhaps I can give it a go, and see what happens? I can login using the fresh /home and keep a copy of any configuration files created so I can use those as a replacement for my old ones if necessary.

Edit: So I'm going to go ahead and make a fresh installation, whilst leaving the home partition alone for now. I've decided to try vanilla debian stretch. I had a few issues with the installer before, but I think that was with wheezy so it might go well this time...

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 08 Dec 2017 21:56

deborphan is agressive. it will try to remove everything marked as "automatic" which not used by other packages. you can deselect important packages by marking them as "manual".

MatthewLM

Postby MatthewLM » 10 Dec 2017 19:09

If anyone is wondering, I have a working system (now on vanilla debian stretch), and I kept my old /home. My upgrade procedure went something like the following. It might not work for others and may not be suitable for a SolydXK install as I used vanilla debian:

1. Back up everything.
2. Keep a copy of /etc/passwd and /etc/fstab for later
3. Run the net installer for debian (or another installer which may not work as well)
4. Do manual partitioning.
5. Keep all the partitions the same, unless you fancy some changes.
6. Mount everything the same except for /home
7. Format everything except for the partition used for the previous /home
8. Run through the installer.
9. Reboot and login
10. Copy the new /home directory someplace accessible in case old configurations break things and need to be replaced.
11. Ensure the uids in the new /etc/passwd match the old ones.
12. Mount the previous /home partition and replace the .kde directory in each user directory with the .kde directory from the new /home directory, to ensure that the old KDE configuration doesn't confuse and potentially break KDE. It might not be a problem anyway, so you could try skipping this step and fix later if necessary.
13. Modify /etc/fstab to mount the previous /home partition to /home again.
14. Modify /etc/fstab to readd things like tmpfs, but be aware that UUIDs may have changed, so don't copy over the old one.
15. Reboot, and reinstall/reconfigure everything you need.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 11 Dec 2017 03:27

if the aim is to reinstall while keeping the old /home partition, then it should be enough reinstall with custom partition. just make sure that your /home partition is mounted as /home at the installation and you'll be fine. in some cases the old configuration break one or two things. in that case we only need to delete the related conf file.

MatthewLM

Postby MatthewLM » 11 Dec 2017 11:01

Sure, I probably went about it in an overly cautious way.

Return to “Software”