I Like Firefox esr but Worried ?

Questions about software.
Redraw

I Like Firefox esr but Worried ?

Postby Redraw » 27 May 2018 06:07

With all the noise about Facebook enough to make anyone super-paranoid this article

https://www.popularmechanics.com/techno ... extension/

that lead to this

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

and finally most of this I did not fully understand , far too long an all too much with the inclusions and conditions , fair go mate.
and some of it I had no interest , if you do this and don't do this , in this and not with this , yea yeah no thanks

maybe I'll just stick to FF esr I think that is good
as I prefer to not bother with facebook at all so maybe this is not for me thanks but no thanks
i hope I'm correct

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... container/

am I on the correct Firefox as esr is fantastic not at the cutting edge and much loved for that slow and steady approach just as SolydXK is .
Facebook is annoying with its super-spy persona, I don't use facebook directly but these stories about surveillance that it does indirectly
would the Firefox Quantum and the add-ons for Firefox Quantum be worth considering
or
should I just stay content with Firefox esr and just keep on trying to tread carefully online

sdibaja

Re: I Like Firefoxfox esr but Worried ?

Postby sdibaja » 27 May 2018 14:47

I do use Facebook, but in the container if that really helps.

Firefox Quantum is nice, especially for the feed reader Feedbro... so much easier to review the news without opening various web pages (that is how I saw this post)
Peter E

ilu

Postby ilu » 27 May 2018 15:44

Firefox Quantum will come to Firefox ESR in about August. I don't know how Debian will handle the update to ESR 60, I haven't found anything about it. But since I want to keep some of my old addons I will for most tasks stick with Firefox ESR 52. For the rest I will use Waterfox.

In this context I'm not worried about Facebook. If you don't have an account (which you IMHO shouldn't) and never login there's no problem where a browser addon could help. So this facebook-container addon is meaningless for any data-conscious person because s/he wouldn't be using Facebook/Whatsapp anyway.
Of course I know that Facebook stores data about me, although I am not their customer ("shadow profiles") but I can't stop that with my browser choices. I need to stop my friends to ever post anything about me there and to stop them using Whatsapp. But since my friends and acquaintances routinely tell me "we don't care about your data, we sell it anyway to whoever wants to have it" this problem has to be stopped politically.

Regarding your browsing habits you should be more worried about Google. Google tracks you on every website that uses Googles services (fonts, ads, analytics) and that is 90% of all websites if not more. I've scanned the article you quoted and that's what they say too.

patzy

Postby patzy » 27 May 2018 23:40

I'm sticking with ESR 52 as well.

I've installed waterfox which works OK - but no matter what I do I can't get netflix to work. :cry: Hopefully it will work in some future update...

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 28 May 2018 00:25

last time I checked the mailing list...it still being discussed about whether if debian stable stay on non quantum firefox. it seems that they want to avoid the plugin breakage issue.

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 28 May 2018 08:05

OK Thanks for all the replies
Thanks sdibaja and ilu both your comments about containers confirms what I thought about them ( containers )

Knew that Google is everywhere watching everything dont think this help much at all I use DuckDuckGo with Firefox ESR 52 as said maybe it does not help but well better than nothing
I'll stay with ESR 52 and see what happens as it progresses to ESR 60

and as far as this problem stopped politically i will not see that in my lifetime
unless the general population ( sheep ) wake to to the reality of who is doing what to them as they all say - yes please.

this is not a Q just a remark but ... what is wrong with these people are they really like sheep

patzy hope your netflix problems be soon gone

Thank you all for taking the time to answer this .

ilu

Postby ilu » 28 May 2018 17:24

patzy wrote:
27 May 2018 23:40
I've installed waterfox which works OK - but no matter what I do I can't get netflix to work. :cry: Hopefully it will work in some future update...
You should not use your everyday browser for Netflix but a dedicated one. Netflix works best with a browser without any security settings in place. Just remember to never browse the web with that browser. I'm using chromium but you could also use firefox quantum for netflix.

To stay halfway safe you need at least 3 browsers (or browser profiles which is more difficult to set up):
1. for important pages you login to, like your bank account - never browse the web with that one (that's a FF 52 ESR profile for me)
2. for services like Netflix and WebRTC - never browse the web with that one (that's a Chromium profile for me)
3. for browsing the web (that's where I use Waterfox)
Additionally I have about 9 browser profiles, but that's not for everyone. This approach needs some discipline (never follow a link with the wrong browser!) but protected me well so far (already during my MSWin times).

Just use waterfox as your default browser for everything else. Don't forget to install at least uBlock O and Selfdestructing Cookies on Waterfox though - if Mozilla tells you that you need firefox to install addons, go to the "all versions" page and install the version you want. Waterfox still sticks with the old addon type.
kurotsugi wrote:
28 May 2018 00:25
last time I checked the mailing list...it still being discussed about whether if debian stable stay on non quantum firefox. it seems that they want to avoid the plugin breakage issue.
Do you have a link?

ilu

Re: I Like Firefox esr but Worried ? - Politics

Postby ilu » 28 May 2018 17:31

Regarding politics: See, the day the european GDPR came into force, Max Schremps with his NoneOfYourBusiness organisation started his first four GDPR complaints against Facebook, Whatsapp, Instagram and Google. He's going to get them. He already got Facebook a few years ago and he dedicated his life to that task. So feel free to support NOYB!

kurotsugi

Re: I Like Firefox esr but Worried ?

Postby kurotsugi » 29 May 2018 00:04

https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2018/05/

it seems that the main opinion is to delay ESR until 52ESR goes EOL. though, it mainly depends on the security team. in the case with the kernel, the team were willingly to port the security patch into the old kernel. they could do the same on firefox but, historically, maintaining browser is usually require lot of works.

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 29 May 2018 03:48

Thank you Heaps ilu for taking the time to do all the answers much appreciated
I never gave a thought to having different browser (s) for personal stuff banking and other secure logins that would have to be FF52ESR and use Waterfox for just browsing and for non security type sites Gimp Learn for example
I tended to think of browsers a bit like a car why more than one never looked at this in the way you do ilu a security point of view , luckily bookmarks etc shifted from FF to WF is quick and easy

so get Waterfox + add-ons for general use and FireFox 52ESR for security based sites yep that sounds like a good plan

Max Schremps with his NoneOfYourBusiness organisation has that oompf to do what he is doing
He should be supported by anyone that values privacy and freedom
brings to my mind this

scaled linux_tux_penguin_logo_barcode_102200_3840x2160.jpg

linking this thread to Gimp Learn where there are some Linux users also

ilu

Postby ilu » 31 May 2018 14:29

Next GDPR complaints from french activists "La Quadrature du Net": against Google (Gmail, Youtube and Search), Facebook, Apple, Amazon and LinkedIn https://www.laquadrature.net/fr/depot_plainte_gafam.

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 02 Jun 2018 01:50

Thanks for the link ilu luckily I can read french about 75% and that gives me a good understanding of the article . I know the english version is there that's ok

just last Question

Waterfox and / or any other browser do they need anything from SolydXK / Arjen Balfoort as in adjustments etc because that seems to be something that pops up in topics - adjustments to Solyd XK , curious about that adjustments needed or not as they are not in the Solyd XK software list and my Solyd K system is working really good , I do not want to stuff it up by doing what I used to do awhile back ( messing it up with user inflicted errors ).

Thanks in advance .

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 02 Jun 2018 08:27

You're talking about firefox-solydxk-adjustments. However, the files are provided in /etc/skel which are used for newly created users. If you want to apply those changes to an existing user you'll need to copy the contents of /etc/skel/.mozilla/firefox/user.default/prefs.js to your prefs file (usually ~/.mozilla/firefox/user.default/prefs.js).

Code: Select all

cat /etc/skel/.mozilla/firefox/user.default/prefs.js >> ~/.mozilla/firefox/user.default/prefs.js
[Edit]
I've created this script for myself but I could add it to solydxk-system in case anybody else needs it:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

if [ $EUID == 0 ]; then
  echo "You cannot run this script as root."
  exit
fi

if [ "$(pidof firefox)" ] || [ "$(pidof thunderbird)" ]; then
  echo "Firefox and/or Thunderbird are running."
  echo "Please, close these programs before you continue."
  exit
fi

FFUSR=$(find ~/.mozilla/firefox -name "prefs.js" -not -path "*/extensions/*")
FFSKEL=$(find /etc/skel/.mozilla/firefox -name "prefs.js" -not -path "*/extensions/*")
TBUSR=$(find ~/.thunderbird -name "prefs.js" -not -path "*/extensions/*")
TBSKEL=$(find /etc/skel/.thunderbird -name "prefs.js" -not -path "*/extensions/*")

echo "Append default configuration"
if [ -e "$FFUSR" ] && [ -e "$FFSKEL" ]; then
  echo "> $FFUSR"
  cat "$FFSKEL" >> "$FFUSR"
fi

if [ -e "$TBUSR" ] && [ -e "$TBSKEL" ]; then
  echo "> $TBUSR"
  cat "$TBSKEL" >> "$TBUSR"
fi

echo
echo "Upgrade Firefox add-ons"
FFEXTSKEL=$(find /etc/skel/.mozilla/firefox -name "extensions")
FFEXTUSR=$(find ~/.mozilla/firefox -name "extensions")
if [ -e "$FFEXTUSR" ] && [ -e "$FFEXTSKEL" ]; then
    for ITEM in $(ls "$FFEXTSKEL"); do
    if [ -e "$FFEXTUSR/$ITEM" ]; then
        echo "> $ITEM"
        cp -r "$FFEXTSKEL/$ITEM" "$FFEXTUSR/$ITEM"
    fi
    done
fi

echo
echo "Upgrade Thunderbird add-ons"
TBEXTSKEL=$(find /etc/skel/.thunderbird -name "extensions")
TBEXTUSR=$(find ~/.thunderbird -name "extensions")
if [ -e "$TBEXTUSR" ] && [ -e "$TBEXTSKEL" ]; then
    for ITEM in $(ls "$TBEXTSKEL"); do
    if [ -e "$TBEXTUSR/$ITEM" ]; then
        echo "> $ITEM"
        cp -r "$TBEXTSKEL/$ITEM" "$TBEXTUSR/$ITEM"
    fi
    done
fi

echo "Done"

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ilu

Postby ilu » 02 Jun 2018 13:49

Redraw I'll do a post about adjusting Waterfox - I'm really busy at the moment, probably for 2 more weeks. Please remind me if I forget.

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 02 Jun 2018 22:31

Arjen thank you for helping out and as usual terminal and I just dont like each other thats it no ifs at all , Thanks for the help but look at screenshot , I'll just use ff esr as I have done in the past , use for all things and to hell with facebook google and any-one else that wants to mind my business , yes slightly pissed off with terminal not any person just terminal and the snooops ...

Thank-You and Good-Night

Screenshot_20180603_081940.png

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 02 Jun 2018 23:20

The past few days Gimp Learn was an insecure site and not loading so this morning after posting here after terminal
I made an exception and went in to Gimp Learn to post about that
they GL knew about this

their solution
dont worry about it its nothing and they dont intend to pay the extra $$ to fix it

My solution
now Ive got a folder of hints and and useful ideas that was for them , as Gimp Learn says Dont woory about it .

delete account at Gimp Learn and remove Gimp Learn Bookmarks

fixed
so dont go to Gimp Learn unless you want to go to an unsecured site that could be compromising your security on your computer
and thats another way to avoid crap

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 02 Jun 2018 23:21

This is not turning into a good day , Rewrite for Redraw Please

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 03 Jun 2018 05:29

Please, don't run that command as root. Root must never run Firefox, only regular users. Also check if the path to the user's prefs file actually exists. It might differ for each user.

The bash script I provided should handle all that.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 03 Jun 2018 06:58

Uh huh ..

Return to “Software”