This is not the title to the thread I started

Questions about software.
albert.wagner

This is not the title to the thread I started

Postby albert.wagner » 28 Jul 2018 17:18

Code: Select all

~$ inxi -M -S -Gxxx
System:    Host: nova2 Kernel: 4.9.0-7-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.3.0)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.30) info: xfce4-panel dm: lightdm
           Distro: SolydXK
Machine:   Device: desktop System: Dell product: Inspiron 3472 v: 1.2.0
           Mobo: Dell model: 0T1C85 v: A00
           UEFI: Dell v: 1.2.0 date: 05/25/2018
           Chassis: type: 3
Graphics:  Card: Intel Device 3185 bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:3185
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.2 drivers: fbdev (unloaded: modesetting,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@77.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.9, 128 bits)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.6 Direct Rendering: Yes
solydx_9_64_201807.iso only runs with correct display resolution when selected in UEFI Setup(F12).

When run any other way:
(1) previous running system exits with Restart or
(2) selected from a boot manager such as Refind
then resolution is 800x600 and therefore totally useless.

How are you guys that are also running on UEFI/GPT machines set up so that Solydx always works with the correct resolution?

ilu

Re: Running Solydx on UEFI/GPT computer

Postby ilu » 28 Jul 2018 18:38

I'm running UEFI/GPT on 2 systems and I did nothing special. It booted, it installed and just worked. It was one of last years images though.
I have no experience with refind. I'm using grub2 which is what SolydXK is configured for.

I'm having trouble to understand what you are doing. You are starting the ISO with the F12 menu, you install the system and after install it boots with the wrong resolution?
How does refind come into this?
And what does "previous running system exits with Restart " mean?

albert.wagner

Postby albert.wagner » 29 Jul 2018 01:08

Hi, ilu
I'm just as baffled with your reply as you are with my post.

You say "It booted, it installed and just worked". It sounds like you have only one distro installed and therefore never needed the UEFI Boot Options. I only ever had Ubuntu, the first in boot sequence, start by itself immediatly after pressing the power-on switch.

Although there is a single specification of UEFI, there are different implementations. The version number of mine, from Dell, is 1.2.0.

When multibooting, you must somehow have a menu of installed systems from which you then select which one to boot. Just like in Grub2, when you press the power-on switch, 2 options appear in the lower right corner: Setup and Boot Options, selected by function keys. On my computer F2 displays the UEFI configuration and allows modification of boot order, among other things. F12 displays the list of installed distros, in the boot order you selected in Setup(F2). Just to test things out, I installed xubuntu, debian/xfce, and solydx.

Refind is another boot manager, just as Grub is a boot manager, only it has some features that Grub does not have and actually utilizes Grub. Also, I don't think that there is an MBR on a GPT system.

FYI: http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/
There is also an earlier version of Refind in the Solydxk repos.

I had hoped that Refind would pick up the slack from the EUFI and display everything in the proper resolution. But it didn't, so I deleted it.

In summation,
(1) No, Of course I am not "starting the ISO with the F12 menu". I am displaying the UEFI Boot Options and selecting the installation of that particular solydx iso.

(2) I installed 3 systems: xubuntu, debian/xfce, and solydx. Xubuntu is the only system that always boots with the correct resolution.

(3) I can select a system to boot by:

(a) pressing F12 to display the UEFI Boot Options and then select an option from a list of distros.
This works for each of the 3 distros correctly.

(b) Select Log Out in a running distro and then select from that Log Out window: Restart.
This only works for the first distro in the boot list when that distro is ubuntu.
Debian or Solydx display with the wrong resolution.
This is what "previous running system exits with Restart" means.
It's the same Restart that you get from Log Out with Grub.

Therefore, I believe that our miscommunication revolves around the fact that I have a multiboot system and you have a single boot system, and have never displayed the UEFI Setup or Boot Options. I would really love for you to install a second distro on one of your UEFI/GPT boxes. Preferably Debian.
I would also like to know just how screwed I am with a UEFI version of 1.2.0. I understand that currently there is a 2. version.

ilu

Postby ilu » 29 Jul 2018 15:46

No, I have several systems (notably Win7) installed on the UEFI systems. But I use only one boot manager which is grub2. I'm not sure why you are trying refind or anything else. I think this unnecessarily complicates stuff.

The UEFI boot system is only needed, if you want to boot from CD or USB pen drive, not for normal operation. Don't try to use UEFI menu for normal operation! Thats grub's job.
Also, I don't think that there is an MBR on a GPT system.
No there is none, but that doesn't matter.
Also I don't think the UEFI version matters as long as you get the system installed. After installation you don't need to hassle with UEFI anymore.

So, what I did was:
1. Use UEFI menu to boot from SolydX Live ISO,
2. install SolydX - I configured some partitions, but mainly I just let the installer do its things, especially install grub2 at the default place. There might be a problem with several grub installs (from the other systems) but usually grub and the installer should be intelligent enough to pick this up. Although it's worth a check what the installer recommends about grub placement and whether this lines up with the other systems. As soon as you get UEFI and refind out of the way you should investigate this point. Which system has/had refind installed, anyway?
3. When the install is finished (or on the first reboot, don't remember) grub2 picks up all other installed systems and integrates them into the grub2 menu.
4. Boot or restart, grub2 menu appears, I choose my system and everything works.
Just like in Grub2, when you press the power-on switch, 2 options appear in the lower right corner: Setup and Boot Options, selected by function keys.
I'm not exactly sure what happened here - the grub menu should be in the upper left corner and yes, you can choose setup and options if needed, but normally you don't need to - although maybe your resolution problem might need boot options but first I would like to have an understanding of what exactly your situation is.

Another question: Do you have SecureBoot enabled in UEFI bios? That's possible but complicates things a lot.

albert.wagner

Postby albert.wagner » 29 Jul 2018 18:41

I mentioned in my previous post the reason for trying Refind and the reason I deleted it.
Refind makes no sense on a system without UEFI in that it is a UEFI boot manager.
I don't know what you mean by "get UEFI out of the way". That's firmware and I'm stuck with it.
Of course SecureBoot is unenabled in UEFI. I don't think that you can install an iso with it enabled.

You stated emphatically "Don't try to use UEFI menu for normal operation! Thats grub's job."
If that's true, then grub is not doing its job.

So I understand that I haven't been clear enough to you regarding my problem. Here is another try:

Scenario One
------------
(1) Power On
(2) Grub Menu displayed
(3) ubuntu selected from Grub Menu
(a) ubuntu loaded with correct resolution
(b) exit with Restart
(c) go to step (2)
(4) solydx selected from Grub Menu
(a) solydx loaded with INCORRECT resolution
(b) exit with Restart
(c) go to step (2)
(5) debian selected from Grub Menu
(a) debian loaded with INCORRECT resolution
(b) exit with Restart
(c) go to step (2)
Note: Grub menu is useless for loading debian or solydx with correct resolution
==========================================================================
Scenario Two
------------
(1) Power On
(2) Hold down F12
(3) UEFI Boot Options displayed
(4) ubuntu selected from UEFI list
(a) ubuntu loaded with correct resolution
(b) exit with Restart
(c) go to step (2) of Scenario One
(5) solydx selected from UEFI list
(a) solydx loaded with CORRECT resolution
(b) exit with Restart
(6) debian selected from UEFI list
(a) debian loaded with CORRECT resolution
(b) exit with Restart

ilu

Postby ilu » 30 Jul 2018 13:49

Ok, now I understand the situation. You are seeing what's happening when you write about it. I'm reading but I don't see anything, that's why a more detailed description is necessary.

Scenario one is the correct way and grub needs fixing.

This is a debian issue, grub or xorg seems to need different boot options with your graphics card. Card is Intel Device 3185 chip-ID: 8086:3185. Correct resolution is 1920x1080. I'll see what I can find.

Can you attach the resulting file (grub.txt in your home directory) of

sudo cat /boot/grub/grub. cfg > ~/grub.txt
Please also attach /var/log/Xorg.0.log from SolydX.

And journalctl | grep ERROR from SolydX would be helpful.

albert.wagner

Postby albert.wagner » 30 Jul 2018 16:16

I've got the first 2 files but I don't know how to attach.
I don't get any output from journalctl | grep ERROR

ilu

Postby ilu » 30 Jul 2018 18:14

Under this input window there are 2 tabs: Options and Attachments. Click Attachments.

If you don't find it, just post the content inline in [.code][./code] tags.

albert.wagner

Postby albert.wagner » 30 Jul 2018 18:37

Here are the attachments.
Attachments
xorg0log.txt
(16.97 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
grub.txt
(15.55 KiB) Downloaded 36 times

ilu

Postby ilu » 30 Jul 2018 23:19

This took me some loops to figure out because I'm not familiar with Intel. Grub and or UEFI is not involved at all. Your SolydX system (and probably debian too) is missing the correct graphics driver and some setting (which might be added if you install the driver). The Dell numbers in the inxi output are misleading. Your graphics is Intel HD Graphics 605 (600 series). Searching for that turns up results.

First post the output of

dpkg -l firmware-misc-nonfree
glxinfo  -B
xrandr
Then start up solydxk-system from the menu and have a look whether the first tab (Driver) offers you anything. Report back.

Your system is really new and under those circumstances Ubuntu is usually quicker than Debian stable (which priorizes stability over updating). I'm not sure you will get good results with the 4.9.x kernel of debian stable. Installing a newer kernel from stretch-backports (kernel is at 4.16 and has a newer version of firmware-misc-nonfree) or switching to SolydXEE (now kernel 4.17) will most probably help.

albert.wagner

Postby albert.wagner » 31 Jul 2018 00:37

I assume that you mean the ubuntu grub menu. Selecting solydx will bring up an 800x600 version of solydx.
I don't know how to do this: "have a look whether the first tab (Driver) offers you anything"

I also attached a copy of the /boot/grub/grub.cfg from the ubuntu partition, the only one which works. Maybe there is a clue there.
I tried last night comparing the ubuntu grub.cfg with the solydx grub.cfg, I noted several differences, but mostly it was all way over my head.
Thank you very much for what you are doing.
Attachments
ubuntu_boot_grub_grub_cfg.txt
(15.66 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
uefiGraphics.txt
(1.7 KiB) Downloaded 47 times

ilu

Postby ilu » 31 Jul 2018 01:05

No I meant Solydx.

Post the output of the 3 commands under SolydX and tell me what SolydXK System (start this via menu) says in the leftmost tab (probably nothing).

albert.wagner

Postby albert.wagner » 31 Jul 2018 04:09

I'm confused. Just as in the old MBR system, the last distro installed builds the only useful grub menu. The menus built by the earlier distros are no longer up to date. I can boot solydx from the UEFI Boot Options(F12) and therefore the older unused grub menu built by solydx, at the time of its install, will be displayed, as below:

*Solydx 9 64-bit GNU/Linux
Advanced options for Solydx 9 64-bit GNU/Linux
Debian GNU/linux 9 (stretch)(on /dev/sda5)
Advanced options for Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS (18.04) (on dev/sda6)
Advanced options for Ubuntu 18.04 LST (18.04)

I still have no clue what "the first tab(Driver) is or where it is.
Just so, I have no clue where to find "the 3 commands under Solydx."
What are you looking at?

ilu

Postby ilu » 31 Jul 2018 12:32

UEFI and grub don't matter as long as the systems boot.
Boot up SolydX (with the wrong resolution) via grub and post the output of

dpkg -l firmware-misc-nonfree
glxinfo  -B
xrandr
Then use the menu to start up Solydxk System and have a look whether the first tab (Driver) offers you anything. Report back.

albert.wagner

Postby albert.wagner » 31 Jul 2018 15:18

Output for 3 commands for soldyx booted with wrong resolution attached
Attachments
badSolydxXrandr.txt
(224 Bytes) Downloaded 28 times
badSolydxGlxinfo.txt
(1.06 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
badSolydxDpkg.txt
(456 Bytes) Downloaded 42 times

albert.wagner

Postby albert.wagner » 31 Jul 2018 16:04

Attached is the same 3 commands from ubuntu. You are absolutely right: the graphics card in this machine is simply too new to be handled correctly by current isos of debian or solydx. That also explains why boot from within UEFI Boot Options displays correctly: of course the UEFI knows how to deal with its own graphics card.
Attachments
ubuntu3commands.txt
(2.13 KiB) Downloaded 33 times

ilu

Postby ilu » 31 Jul 2018 23:45

Comparing with Ubuntu I see two problems:

1. The wrong resolution you noticed. The xrandr command shows that the correct resolution is missing - you can add it manually. The way to do that is a bit long, follow these instructions: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xr ... esolutions. Or maybe even easier: copy the file with the correct resolutions from Ubuntu's /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-monitor.conf - could also be in /usr/lib/X11/ or /usr/etc/X11/ or /usr/share/X11/ (maybe another number instead of 10, look for the resolutions you saw in xrandr,). On SolydXK the file has to go into /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d.

2. No video acceleration on Debian/Solydx due to using a fallback driver. Possible fix: install kernel and firmware-misc-nonfree from stretch-backports.

Actually I would like to check for differences when you boot SolydX via the F12 UEFI menu. Please post the results from xrandr and glxinfo -B you see then.

albert.wagner

Postby albert.wagner » 04 Aug 2018 15:01

@ilu

In truth, I want to thank you for your discovery that my problem with my new computer was not the fault of the UEFI, but rather the presence of a new Intel graphics chip that Debian/Solydx had no driver for. As for the additional information you requested, I am sorry to say that a short time ago I deleted Solydx from the new machine. Currently, I install only Ubuntu and derivatives of Ubuntu, such as Linux Mint on the new machine.
Your discovery came after three weeks of all day, every day frustration, loss of sleep, and feelings of great stupidity. So again, I thank you for the great effort you made. However, I think that rather continue to poke at that bear with a sharp stick, I am leaving Solydx to deal with the problem of new hardware technology that negates the utility of Solydx.

Solydx is still my distro of choice on my older computer. And I still use it daily. The new machine is merely backup while the older machine continues its downward spiral toward obsolescence and bad blocks on the hard drive.

ilu

Re: Running Solydx on Intel 600 graphics

Postby ilu » 05 Aug 2018 10:30

The issue debian stable has with brand new hardware is nothing SolydX can solve. It's actually not even an issue. Debian stable focuses, as the name says, on stability and only on stability. New drivers need to get tested first and that's done in debian testing, which is our EE version. The other option is using backports I'm using a brand new processor on another machine and that works fine with a backported kernel.

That being said, it's of course ok if you now want things to just work and decide to stick with Ubuntu. I'm sorry it took me so long to figure out the problem. There's one thing each of us can learn from this - you: don't jump to conclusions too early but stay open minded - me: if somebody jumps to conclusions don't follow that trail but instead look systematically at the clues.

Well, we are both not professionals.

ydek

Re: Running Solydx on Intel 600 graphics

Postby ydek » 05 Aug 2018 18:45

Hello guys.
I read the entire topic and congratulate you for having managed to find the solution.
This topic can help to other users who have notebooks with similar settings.

Return to “Software”