Thunderbird profile questions (and maybe Firefox as well)

Questions about software.
xendistar

Thunderbird profile questions (and maybe Firefox as well)

Postby xendistar » 20 Aug 2018 21:14

Over the past several years as I have moved from one distro to the next (not always SolydXK) I have simply copied my existing Thunderbird profile into the new /home/users folder and everything has worked well. But as I have done this over several years and various distro and Thunderbird version small glitches have crept in, the biggest issue being that when I click on a web link in an email it fails to open the web link in firefox but will open it in Goolge Chrome (I have checked that Firefoxs is the default browser).

Having done a new install of SoldyX over the weekend and tested that the issue is still there (which it is), rather than just copy the Profile over (which I have done for now) I want to import it hoping that will weed out some of the issues I have. Problem is when I make a new Profile in Thunderbird and select Import it does not see my old Thunderbird Profile, so I can not import my emails (and various other bits e.g. address book).

Does anybody no of any other way to Import emails into Thunderbird from a Thunderbird Profile? I should mention that Thunderbird is running my three email accounts and I have emails going back to 2005, the .Thunderbird folder is 8.7gb in size.

Finally I am also looking to do something similar on Firefox (making myself a new profile) although this is less important compared to the email

patzy

Re: Thunderbird profile questions (and maybe Firefox as well)

Postby patzy » 21 Aug 2018 00:09

xendistar wrote:
20 Aug 2018 21:14
the biggest issue being that when I click on a web link in an email it fails to open the web link in firefox but will open it in Goolge Chrome (I have checked that Firefoxs is the default browser).
This "default to Chrome no matter what" has been bugging me. :x :x I've tried many things to stop it but, apart from dropping the link onto the Firefox icon, I have failed.
I thought about removing Google Chrome but I use it for Googleearth.

I hope someone can come up with a solution.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 21 Aug 2018 07:58

Searching the web I found these links:
You can also try to set the xdg default but I don't know if that will help at all:

Code: Select all

$ xdg-settings get default-web-browser
chromium.desktop

$ xdg-settings set default-web-browser firefox.desktop

$ xdg-settings get default-web-browser
firefox.desktop

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 22 Aug 2018 19:37

Well none of Arjen suggestions worked.

It used to work perfectly at one time. It has only become a problem for me as I have been receiving lots of email (about 50 a day) which required me to click on one or more links. But as this has now come to a halt I think can accept that I either have to manually copy the link or let it open in Chrome.

patzy

Postby patzy » 22 Aug 2018 23:36

xendistar wrote:
22 Aug 2018 19:37
Well none of Arjen suggestions worked.

It used to work perfectly at one time. It has only become a problem for me as I have been receiving lots of email (about 50 a day) which required me to click on one or more links. But as this has now come to a halt I think can accept that I either have to manually copy the link or let it open in Chrome.
The suggestions did not work for me either.

I think that, maybe, Chrome has found a way to hijack the links. :!:

sdibaja

Postby sdibaja » 23 Aug 2018 00:10

I have the same problem, using Debian Mate stable-updates sid.
both:
update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
and
xdg-settings set default-web-browser firefox.desktop
helped, but just temporarily.
It seems that if I run Tbird first the preferences get wacked, often with Tbird set as my preferred browser... WTF?

frustrating... hoping for that silver bullet!

PS: I do not have chrome or chromium installed.
Peter E

Return to “Software”