Solydx Firefox Adjustments cause problems with some sites

Questions about software.
bin

Solydx Firefox Adjustments cause problems with some sites

Postby bin » 12 Jun 2019 17:25

I have run into a couple of issues using Firefox and a few sites. For example it is not possible to read any mail on gmx.com. Just get 403 error. Works fine with Chromium or other distros with Firefox. Removing the adjustments and working with long standing profile with ublock-origin and all is good.

Just disabling Privacy Badger and Https everywhere does not fix it in itself so there may be other settings involved.

ilu

Re: Solydx Firefox Adjustments cause problems with some sites

Postby ilu » 12 Jun 2019 19:25

Could be any in /opt/firefox/distribution/. Most probably third party cookies which nobody wants to have (but you could allow them). GMX does a lot of stuff to inject its advertising across their different sites. Whenever I need to setup a new mail address I'm using chromium. Afterwards I delete the poisoned chromium profile ans use thunderbird only.

bin

Postby bin » 13 Jun 2019 05:54

I was also getting

"Bad HTTP_REFERER. You were referred to this page from an unauthorized source. If the problem persists please make sure that 'Base URL' is correctly set in Admin/Options and that you are visiting the forum by navigating to that URL. More information regarding the referrer check can be found in the FluxBB documentation."

while posting on a forum I use regularly. Again worked OK with Chromium

Simply installing FF ESR dumps the adjustments and FF 67 and all is now good once more.

ilu

Postby ilu » 13 Jun 2019 14:57

But the "Bad HTTP_REFERER" stuff was not gmx right? If you tell me the site I could investigate. The error message points to that forum software not being set up correctly which might lead to problems if the browser has tighter security settings.

Referrers are a similar thing to cookies: you generally don't want them to travel to third party sites. This can cause problems if a site is spread over different domains (like gmx and ui-portal). I think our stricter settings - following the recommendations by mozilla - are still good even if some (usually very intrusive) sites break. (That forum is probably not intentionally intrusive but just set up in an unfortunate way.)

bennypr0fane

Postby bennypr0fane » 15 Jun 2019 08:18

I've been seeing a couple more problems under SolydX with sites that all went away immediately after removing firefox-solydxk-adjustments:
- fullscreen mode on Youtube and any other video stream would show a white rectangle instead of the top 20% (or was it the bottom, I don't remember) of the picture. Controls were missing in full screen (volume, search bar, stream quality etc.). Only way to get from full screen was to press Esc/F11.
- On Discourse forum sites, selecting text looked like it wasn't working, because colour of the highlighter was, for some reason, white, i.e. you can't see the highlights (not on other sites though).
- problems with copy/pasting text from local apps in to browser window:
I tried to paste code from my text editor into a Repl on repl.it, and the formatting was completely lost (indentations, line breaks etc.), see also. I tried copying the same code from other text editors, same result.

ilu

Postby ilu » 15 Jun 2019 16:04

bennypr0fane wrote:
15 Jun 2019 08:18
- fullscreen mode on Youtube and any other video stream would show a white rectangle instead of the top 20% (or was it the bottom, I don't remember) of the picture. Controls were missing in full screen (volume, search bar, stream quality etc.). Only way to get from full screen was to press Esc/F11.
I've seen the same effect randomly with unaltered FF under Win7 and Win10. The only thing in common with us is uBlock origin.
I haven't seen any of the other problems. You'll need to experiment with the firefox-adjustment settings to find out which exact setting causes the problem. Since I don't see these effects I can't troubleshoot them for you.

I just know that the youtube-white-stripe problem has nothing to do with the adjustment package but might be related to uBlock. Or to Firefox - it would not be the first time that google people do something on their site to make another browser look bad (they did so in the past with IE and Edge).

Return to “Software”