owncloud client and keyring popup? [SOLVED]

Questions about software.
Cory

owncloud client and keyring popup? [SOLVED]

Postby Cory » 24 Aug 2019 08:04

Hi all,

There's some nagging pop-up that I would like to get rid off - can someone please shed some light here?

Only a couple of weeks ago I performed a fresh install of SolydX 2019.02 (/ on SSD, swap and /home on an oldskool harddisk).
As I am the only user, I have selected to auto-login the user session.
Never did a "default keyring unlock" pop up - until the next bootup after I installed an owncloud client "stack-client" (and configured it to run at system startup).
This keyring cannot unlock with my password - I verified my password for validity by locking/unlocking the session.

When I cancel the "default keyring" pop-up, the owncloud clients credentials window pops up. When I enter credentials there, upon Enter/OK immediately the "default keyring" pop-up is there again. And while this pop-up is still there the owncloud client starts correctly, so does not seem to depend on the (default) keyring.

There are several posts about the Gnome default keyring password popping up (a/o related to Chromium or to WiFi credentials).
I reckon this is a similar case, and there's little else I can do (for now, at least) but cancel the pop-up to get it out of the way?

BTW this system is a desktop computer with only wired Ethernet:
(I'm rearranging data, hence the number of connected harddisks)

Code: Select all

me@box:~$ inxi -CDINS
System:    Host: box Kernel: 4.9.0-9-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: SolydX 9 64-bit
CPU:       Dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 2700 MHz 1: 1800 MHz 2: 1800 MHz
Network:   Card: 3Com 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado] driver: 3c59x
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 2950.6GB (17.1% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD2500JS size: 250.1GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdd model: SAMSUNG_HD642JJ size: 640.1GB
           ID-3: /dev/sdc model: WDC_WD20EZRX size: 2000.4GB
           ID-4: /dev/sda model: Corsair_Force_LS size: 60.0GB
Info:      Processes: 192 Uptime: 1:22 Memory: 1542.0/5719.4MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.5 
The owncloud client is proprietary:

Code: Select all

me@box:~$ apt policy stack-client
stack-client:
  Installed: 2.4.1-1.1
  Candidate: 2.4.1-1.1
  Version table:
 *** 2.4.1-1.1 500
        500 http://mirror.transip.net/stack/software/deb/Debian_9.0 ./ Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
Are you Solyd-ified yet?

ilu

Re: owncloud client and keyring popup?

Postby ilu » 24 Aug 2019 10:42

This is the same problem we discussed here about chromium viewtopic.php?f=79&t=7585&hilit=keyring but with a twist. Owncloud tries to store its password safely in the keyring. That means that the keyring needs to be open. Since you logged in automatically - without password - the keyring needs to be opened separately. That's what the popup is for.

There is no secure way around entering a password for the keyring. Otherwise passwords will be stored insecure in plaintext without the keyring - chromium can do that, about owncloud I don't know. The only also insecure alternative for chromium is to give the keyring an empty passowrd.

So: You will need to enter the password at least once - either on login or separately in the popup. Our problem in the other thread was that the enter-password-on-login-method sometimes fails without clear reason. It's not a SolydX-only problem but it might be a bug in lightdm. If you search the problem is described all over the internet.

Anyway - when you first saw the popup it should have asked you to set a password. Somehow this did not work. So open seahorse password manager (install it if you don't have it) and inspect the keyrings. Try to find out which one is used by owncloud and set a new password - take your user password if you ever want it to work upon login. If you insist on insecure behavior you can try to set it to "" (emptyspace).

Edit: The owncloud client is not proprietary - it's here https://packages.debian.org/stretch-bac ... oud-client. I don't think transip changed anything, but I'd always prefer to install it from debian. But this will not solve your problem.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 24 Aug 2019 12:27

ilu wrote:
24 Aug 2019 10:42
The owncloud client is not proprietary - it's here https://packages.debian.org/stretch-bac ... oud-client. I don't think transip changed anything, but I'd always prefer to install it from debian.
In this case I would have to disagree. As far as I'm aware TransIP did make some changes to the client. Using the client from Debian might work, but I wouldn't count on it.
But this will not solve your problem.
Indeed.

I'm also running the stack client and I've also installed it on a friend's system. My own system has a login password, so no keyring popup issues. The other system is autologin and requires entering the password as soon as the stack client starts. No way around that, I'm afraid.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

Cory

Postby Cory » 24 Aug 2019 12:58

Thank you, ilu for our extended explanation.

SolydXK forums was my first stop. Although I did not (my bad!) read all / full threads related, I figured what I read sufficed to check with the community that I was facing the same issue here. Apparently I do, my password to the default keyring is not synced with my login password.

As my password manager for numerous years is KeePass(X), I was not inclined to use yet another credential keeper and dismissed to look into seahorse.
Your recap did well in pushing me over to install to see what It could do for me.
As far as I can recall, the default keyring never popped up before. Nor can I recall it asking to set the password the first time is got triggered by owncloud or any app.

Meanwhile as I was switching back and forth fiddling around with seahorse when suddenly I remembered one passphrase that unlocked the keyring.
Could very well be it had been late and me too tired when the first pop-up occurred and I had to set the password. Silly me.

And now that I am writing this, I do recall I had this years ago on SolydK and WiFi. Never got it solved there either. That installation is long gone down the binary drain...

Needless to say I have now synced the login and keyring passwords - using seahorse for the keyring.
Thank you once more!

Edit: marked solved!
Are you Solyd-ified yet?

ilu

Re: owncloud client and keyring popup? [SOLVED]

Postby ilu » 26 Aug 2019 10:40

@grizzler: This blogpost https://blog.caroga.net/how-to-synchron ... mmandline/ gave me the idea that standard owncloud would work.

grizzler

Re: owncloud client and keyring popup? [SOLVED]

Postby grizzler » 26 Aug 2019 11:48

An article in the TransIP knowledgebase I once read suggested using a standard owncloud client might fail unexpectedly. However, trying to find that article again draws a blank...

So I'm really not sure.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

Return to “Software”