Waterfox

Questions about software.
ilu

Waterfox

Postby ilu » 28 Oct 2019 09:43

Waterfox is a Firefox fork that eliminates telemetry and tries to minimize data collection. It's a small project but with a very active maintainer and a nice community on github and reddit.

Waterfox "current" was released https://www.waterfox.net/blog/waterfox- ... e-download and is working fine for me. Waterfox "classic" does not become obsolete and will get security updates. Think of regular Firefox and ESR. Current Waterfox will still try to support old addons but they will need maintenance (which is done for some popular addons but not for all). So people with old, unmaintained addons should stick with the classic version which is presently in our repo.

Arjen, would you consider to include also the "current" version in our repo? But please don't eliminate Waterfox classic because it's the best way to solve addon compatibility problems. I think more browser alternatives are a good thing.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Waterfox

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 29 Oct 2019 08:09

It was more work than anticipated but I've managed to create two packages for Waterfox in testing:
waterfox (the current version)
waterfox-classic (the classic version)

I've decided to follow the Firefox naming: firefox and firefox-esr.
This to prevent any misunderstanding. Unfortunately, this means that current waterfox users will get an update to Waterfox Current and will have to install waterfox-classic if they want to keep following the classic version.

I haven't tested it, only built it and put it into testing.
Please, let me know if this works for you.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ilu

Postby ilu » 29 Oct 2019 09:18

Uh, that's not good. Current waterfox users should keep waterfox classic because otherwise it will ruin their addon setup during upgrade and since you cannot easily download old addons anymore (you still can most but not all and it is a lot of work), this is a dealbreaker. Can you transform the present waterfox package into a dummy package for waterfox-classic and keep the naming Alex chose for waterfox-current? Would that work?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 29 Oct 2019 15:21

I removed the packages and my last post: I cannot seem to get the dependencies right. Will take a look at it later.

SolydXK needs you!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 29 Oct 2019 16:10

I think it is done but unfortunately, if you purge the dummy package waterfox:

Code: Select all

solydxk@solydxk:~$ apt purge waterfox
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
  waterfox-classic
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove it.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  waterfox*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 9,216 B disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] 
This solved with:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-mark manual waterfox-classic

SolydXK needs you!

ilu

Postby ilu » 29 Oct 2019 16:54

I don't know much about packaging so no idea - but maybe we should just not purge the dummy? And if we do, we just need to reinstall.
As long as waterfox-classic is not replaced with waterfox-current that should be ok. If one does not purge waterfox but keep everything as is, will waterfox-classic still get updated through the dummy package?

Did you make the packages mutually exclusive? I don't think this is necessary because for me waterfox-current started up with a newly created profile named *.68-edition-default and left the existing profile untouched.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 29 Oct 2019 17:02

ilu wrote:
29 Oct 2019 16:54
I don't know much about packaging so no idea - but maybe we should just not purge the dummy? And if we do, we just need to reinstall.
I tested what would happen if a user would remove the waterfox dummy package. The waterfox dummy package is not automatically removed.
ilu wrote:
As long as waterfox-classic is not replaced with waterfox-current that should be ok.
The dummy waterfox package installs waterfox-classic.
ilu wrote:
If one does not purge waterfox but keep everything as is, will waterfox-classic still get updated through the dummy package?
waterfox is a dummy package and will not get any updates. waterfox-classic will get the updates.
ilu wrote:
Did you make the packages mutually exclusive?
Yes, waterfox-classic is removed when you install waterfox-current (and vise versa).

SolydXK needs you!

ilu

Postby ilu » 29 Oct 2019 17:07

I don't think mutually exclusive is necessary because for me waterfox-current started up with a newly created profile named *.68-edition-default and left the existing classic profile untouched. I'm still using Alex' 68 download though but I don't think that will change with your packages.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 29 Oct 2019 17:40

That would complicate building the waterfox versions. That is too much time and effort that I am not willing to invest unless we ever decide that waterfox needs to replace firefox.

SolydXK needs you!

ilu

Postby ilu » 29 Oct 2019 17:50

Ok, I did not know that it complicates things.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 30 Oct 2019 12:11

I have moved the packages to the production repository.

SolydXK needs you!

ilu

Postby ilu » 11 Dec 2019 19:08

The link /usr/bin/waterfox needs to be adapted to point to waterfox-classic, otherwise menu entries and start icons fail. Also the icon needs to be restored but that's probably not the case on new installs.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 12 Dec 2019 18:47

I have updated waterfox-classic, waterfox-current and waterfox-solydxk-adjustments.

You can now install both versions side-by-side.

SolydXK needs you!

ilu

Postby ilu » 13 Dec 2019 00:56

Great, thanks!

Return to “Software”