Gramps genealogy system

patzy

Gramps genealogy system

Postby patzy » 30 Jan 2014 04:32

Gramps is the best linux genealogy software. It is also used by cattle and pet breeders and on any other thing that needs to trace generations. (I noticed that it has been used for families in those epic sf/fantasy sagas that are made up of many volumes).

It is in continuous development, so most distros have a version that is completely out of date in their repos.
SolydXK, as it is upgraded automatically every few months, is an ideal distro to carry it.

Each new Gramps has some new dependencies. I went with version 3.6.1 which required python-central (very easy to find and install from debian packages). BUT...
The latest version has added osmgpsmaps (yes, you can now look at the places where your folks lived). Tihis requires a whole host of dependencies that are not in Solyd. I started off on them but got hopelessly lost as each one had further dependencies etc.

The software is/was mainly develooped with +buntu in mind, but each version has a *all.deb package. Until the latest 3.* version they worked in a lot of different flavour debian distros.

If we can have it in Solyd that would be great. If not is there an easy way to get all those dependencies installed. Maybe a 'magic' package manager?

smackthepony

Re: Gramps genealogy system

Postby smackthepony » 31 Jan 2014 11:57

patzy wrote:If we can have it in Solyd that would be great. If not is there an easy way to get all those dependencies installed. Maybe a 'magic' package manager?
i was able to install the latest and (not so) greatest gramps, version 4.0.3-3, by pulling the .deb file from their site.

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i gramps_4.0.3-3_all.deb 
it starts complaining about dependencies, so

sudo apt-get install python-gi-cairo python-bsddb3
followed by

sudo apt-get -f install
did the trick, but after starting up gramps you get 2 warnings
first is about module GExiv2: not able to retrieve metadata from images
A solution is described here
second is about module OsmGpsMap: geographical functionality not available
Solution is offered here
it looks like it wants to pull in gnome and/or gtk3 stuff if you want to follow this road
i skipped the 2 messages, started up Gramps and the database loaded just fine.

After that i tried another route. I pulled in a .rpm from here
converted the rpm to deb with alien

sudo alien -k gramps-3.4.6-2.el6.noarch
installed it with dpkg

sudo dpkg -i gramps_3.4.6-2.el6_all.deb 
it still gives the error on the image metadata (only if you start from terminal though), otherwise it seems to run fine.
i haven't tried the geolocation thingy because in that aspect gramps doesn't suit my needs (i use TNG for my geneology data)

GeneC

Postby GeneC » 31 Jan 2014 13:04

Interesting software.

Its available in Debian Stable and SID, but not in testing. You could get it from SID or wait till it trickels down to testing and the new SolydXK UP.

http://packages.debian.org/search?suite ... rds=gramps

Or install deb as per smackthepony, of course. I installed the SID version (3.4) with no error messages. Then Upgraded the 4.0.3 deb and it installed with no issues, BUT I get the same error messages as smackthepony on launch. I reverted to the SID version, as they seem much the same, no error messages on launch.
GeneC

Debian (Testing)
Siduction (Debian SID)

patzy

Postby patzy » 01 Feb 2014 00:53

I've been having a discussion with the gramps devs/forum and have installed Version 3.4.7 from the tar package. There isn't a *all.deb yet.

I have 4.03-3 on the testing machine. I'm not happy with this version as there are so many hoops to go through to get the graphical views, maps and graphical reports - this is where I got lost in the dependencies. It will load successfully if you ignore/cancell out the dependency warnings. If you run it from a terminal you can see what ut finds missing, but it still load and will be ready to use. The media (ie pictures you've added to gramps can be installed using the media tools.

Version 3.4.7 has the old graphic handling and just needs a couple of dependencies that were not already in Solyd to satisfy it. Easily done. All I need to do with this version now is find out how to make a desktop link so I don't need to use the CLI. I'll ask about this in another thread.

cmf5

Postby cmf5 » 13 Mar 2014 04:53

I would like to enthusiastically second the motion to add GRAMPS to the Solyd repos. I would very much like an easy way to install the most recent version to my new Solyd install.

On a related note, I have several years Linux experience with other distros (I'm brand new to Solyd). I haven't packaged any software yet, but I am open to giving it a try. Is there a guide anyone can recommend for preparing and maintaining packages for the community repos?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 13 Mar 2014 07:09

cmf5 wrote:Is there a guide anyone can recommend for preparing and maintaining packages for the community repos?
Hi cmf5, and welcome to our forum!
Your first post, and already offering to help?
That's the spirit! :D

Zerozero has written a packagers guideline here: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1079
and a tutorial here: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1138

Please, be aware that the packager (if you decide to package Gramps, that'll be you) is also responsible for further updates.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

patzy

Postby patzy » 13 Mar 2014 07:20

Gramps 3.4.7-2_all.deb is now available on Sourceforge and installs on SokydK with no problems.

baldad

Postby baldad » 13 May 2014 09:38

Gramps 4.0.3-1 was released January 27th, 2014

I downloaded it from the Software Manager and imported a GEDCOM file.

All seems to work well.

Happy researching.

smackthepony

Postby smackthepony » 29 Jun 2014 11:35

snapshot2.png
snapshot2.png (102.98 KiB) Viewed 4527 times
Version 4.1.0 (Name go in book) was released a little over a week ago.
I installed it from Souceforge but it kept giving notfications about not being able to load the Open Steet Map module and the missing GExiv2.
After some searching around the web i quickly found a lot of dependencies are missing (some from unstable and even some from experimental repos). However after manually getting them from the debian packages site gramps 4.!.0 is running without any issues now. Maps are working.
For anyone interested i have made a tar with all the debs i pulled from the debian site including the gramps deb (NB 64bits only).
During the installation of the debs i enabled the unstable repos in order to get all the needed dependencies without any trouble.

deb http://ftp.YOURCOUNTRYCODE.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.YOURCOUNTRYCODE.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
Don't forget to comment them out or remove them.
the TAR (10.5 Mb)

The solution i used was suggested here

patzy

Postby patzy » 30 Jun 2014 02:36

smackthepony wrote: For anyone interested i have made a tar with all the debs i pulled from the debian site including the gramps deb (NB 64bits only).
Thank you very much for this.
I had tried 4.04 and found heaps of bugs and so I reverted to the latest 3.* version. :(
Now I can give the newest version a whirl! :D

smackthepony

Postby smackthepony » 30 Jun 2014 09:33

patzy wrote:Now I can give the newest version a whirl! :D
Looking at your sig you might want so search for the equivalent 32 bits packages (shouldn't be too hard to find them)
Also keep in mind that the debs pull stuff from unstable so this is probably not the best solution for production machines (better stay on version 3.4 on those, since the current verion in stable repos keeps giving the OSM and GExiv2 problems).
Patzy do you have a large GEDCOM file to test with. (I have a large GEDCOM but i use specialized dutch win only :( genealogy software that gives unusable data for GRAMPS)

patzy

Postby patzy » 01 Jul 2014 01:45

smackthepony wrote:
patzy wrote:Now I can give the newest version a whirl! :D
Looking at your sig you might want so search for the equivalent 32 bits packages (shouldn't be too hard to find them)
Also keep in mind that the debs pull stuff from unstable so this is probably not the best solution for production machines (better stay on version 3.4 on those, since the current verion in stable repos keeps giving the OSM and GExiv2 problems).
Patzy do you have a large GEDCOM file to test with. (I have a large GEDCOM but i use specialized dutch win only :( genealogy software that gives unusable data for GRAMPS)
I had put Gramps 4.1 (32bit) on my test machine and had trouble with dependencies, your post has shown me how to fix this. Thanks again!

Return to “Community Packages Proposals”