MATE Desktop in SolydX repos

LowTekkCyborg
Posts: 18
Joined: 07 Nov 2013 03:29

MATE Desktop in SolydX repos

Postby LowTekkCyborg » 21 Feb 2014 03:22

As a MATE user, I would like to request its addition to the main or community repos. While it's not any great inconvenience to manually add the upstream repo by hand, it would make SolydX feel much mroe like home if I could simply install it out of the box. As seen in my previous post( http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1986 ), only the addition of two packages prevents a smooth install, and this could be easily rectified if the entire package list was mirrored.

Thanks for your consideration.

LowTekk
Rusted parts, trashpicked computers, and a dirty mind... life is good in the Dirty South

User avatar
tenfoot
Posts: 29
Joined: 29 Dec 2013 00:05

Re: MATE Desktop in SolydX repos

Postby tenfoot » 21 Feb 2014 05:24

I second that request. I have gone from Gnome 2 to MATE without a hiccough and, even though I've tried hard, do not feel comfortable with Xfce. It's not a deal breaker and eventually I will probably promote SolydX to be my main desktop. It would be much easier to make that decision if SolyXK had a MATE edition.

By the way, I've tried three times to install MATE, following the instructions given in this Forum but on each occasion the attempt has resulted in failure. I've now given up :?
There's so much bad in the best of us
and so much good in the worst of us
Thsat it ill behoves any one of us
To judge even the least of us

LowTekkCyborg
Posts: 18
Joined: 07 Nov 2013 03:29

Re: MATE Desktop in SolydX repos

Postby LowTekkCyborg » 21 Feb 2014 05:41

tenfoot wrote:I second that request. I have gone from Gnome 2 to MATE without a hiccough and, even though I've tried hard, do not feel comfortable with Xfce. It's not a deal breaker and eventually I will probably promote SolydX to be my main desktop. It would be much easier to make that decision if SolyXK had a MATE edition.

By the way, I've tried three times to install MATE, following the instructions given in this Forum but on each occasion the attempt has resulted in failure. I've now given up :?

There are two packages MATE is looking for as dependencies: libmatewnk and libmatewnk-common. In light of this, I've made an ediited tutorial in the forum for newcomers, which includes a link to the directory where the two files can be downloaded.

http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1986

Do not worry with the dialog which says libmatewnk is in the main repo, because for some reason it appears to be blocked. Just install the downloaded packages as part of the amended tutorial and you'll have MATE!
Rusted parts, trashpicked computers, and a dirty mind... life is good in the Dirty South

kurotsugi
Posts: 2116
Joined: 09 Jan 2014 00:17

Re: MATE Desktop in SolydX repos

Postby kurotsugi » 21 Feb 2014 05:59

mate 1.6 have been migrated into testing since 26 jan 2014. IMO it will be easier if we install it from there.

LowTekkCyborg
Posts: 18
Joined: 07 Nov 2013 03:29

Re: MATE Desktop in SolydX repos

Postby LowTekkCyborg » 20 Mar 2014 05:09

MATE 1.8 was released this month, and for some reason, the Debian Jessie repo has not yet been updated. Interestingly, the Ubuntu and SlackBuild repos had them in a matter of days. I wonder what the holdup is...? It should also be mentioned that by default, SolydX/K does not come with the necessary development tools to compile MATE, and all attempts to suppliment the needed libraries and build the DE have greatly extended the real estate of my bald spot.

My question is, has there been any word of an effort to build MATE 1.8 for SolydX/K, or is it merely too soon to tell?
Rusted parts, trashpicked computers, and a dirty mind... life is good in the Dirty South

kurotsugi
Posts: 2116
Joined: 09 Jan 2014 00:17

Re: MATE Desktop in SolydX repos

Postby kurotsugi » 20 Mar 2014 09:22

it already on sid branch. http://packages.qa.debian.org/m/mate-desktop.html
if everything is good then it should enter jessie in 4 days.

wayne
Posts: 178
Joined: 25 Feb 2013 14:58

Re: MATE Desktop in SolydX repos

Postby wayne » 20 Mar 2014 09:46

kurotsugi wrote:it already on sid branch. http://packages.qa.debian.org/m/mate-desktop.html
if everything is good then it should enter jessie in 4 days.

Good

playtime:

Code: Select all

wayne@hp8000:~$ apt-cache policy mate-desktop
mate-desktop:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1.8.0+dfsg1-3
  Version table:
     1.8.0+dfsg1-3 0
        500 http://ftp.jp.debian.org/debian/ sid/main i386 Packages
wayne@hp8000:~$ 

LowTekkCyborg
Posts: 18
Joined: 07 Nov 2013 03:29

Re: MATE Desktop in SolydX repos

Postby LowTekkCyborg » 20 Mar 2014 16:15

kurotsugi wrote:it already on sid branch. http://packages.qa.debian.org/m/mate-desktop.html
if everything is good then it should enter jessie in 4 days.

Excellent! Now I need not fear looking like Locutus in the near future. Thank you, kurotsugi. You have saved my hairline.
Rusted parts, trashpicked computers, and a dirty mind... life is good in the Dirty South

User avatar
StratosJL
Posts: 23
Joined: 15 Mar 2014 19:59
Location: Athens, Greece
Contact:

Re: MATE Desktop in SolydX repos

Postby StratosJL » 25 Mar 2014 05:58

When will MATE be availabe in SolydX repos?

User avatar
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin
Posts: 8860
Joined: 26 Jan 2013 19:36
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: MATE Desktop in SolydX repos

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 25 Mar 2014 14:44

It should: https://packages.debian.org/jessie/mate-desktop
If all goes well, it should be available with the next UP.


SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

User avatar
StratosJL
Posts: 23
Joined: 15 Mar 2014 19:59
Location: Athens, Greece
Contact:

Re: MATE Desktop in SolydX repos

Postby StratosJL » 25 Mar 2014 18:24

Thanks! I tried all recommendations in the forums here, but nothing worked due to dependency issues. Not even the instructions for MATE installation on Jessie at mate-desktop.org.

I come from Mint Cinnamon Main edition and I now run SolydX Home Edition-Testing for speed and resource efficiency. Tried SolydK but it made me crazy. On the other hand, XFCE initially was a big aesthetic shock (a trip down memory lane from the early 2000s), but I eventually fine-tuned it to be "presentable" enough for my taste. However, I still think MATE (w/ MintMenu) is closer to (or better than) Gnome 2.30.

Great work with SolydXK, btw. Looking forward to SolydM!

User avatar
fleabus
Posts: 1227
Joined: 16 Sep 2013 04:24
Location: Winchester, VA USA

Re: MATE Desktop in SolydX repos

Postby fleabus » 25 Mar 2014 21:35

StratosJL wrote:Tried SolydK but it made me crazy. On the other hand, XFCE initially was a big aesthetic shock (a trip down memory lane from the early 2000s)
This part of your post piqued my interest. I seem to like both of them equally well. For me it's a mood thing; how I feel at the time seems to dictate which one I'm going to fire up. I know it sounds kooky. If I had to come up with an analogy I suppose it would go like this:

KDE is like waking up in the morning all crisp and clean and bright-eyed, full of caffiene, rushing off to to work, girding your grid for that big meeting at 9 sharp. Xfce is like getting off work and coming home to collapse in that comfy old recliner with a pint and some TV or some reading.

My short sojourn with Mint wasn't long enough to become really comfortable with Mate, but it was certainly long enough to discover I liked it much better than Cinnamon. I remember a lot of freezing issues, but it's been a long time since then, and I never blame software for this type of thing, preferring to lay this at the door of my own lack of knowledge until I've put a goodly amount of time into research, bug-hunts, and troubleshooting. I'm hardheaded, I hate to give up, and prefer to solve things on my own if possible.

I may take Mate 1.8 for a spin, but on a Debian Sid base rather than Solyd. Gotta do it the hard way, and hopefully learn something along the way, if my head isn't too sore from banging it on walls... :lol: :mrgreen:

User avatar
drc
Posts: 137
Joined: 30 Apr 2013 22:47
Location: Nebraska USA

Re: MATE Desktop in SolydX repos

Postby drc » 25 Mar 2014 21:42

fleabus wrote:For me it's a mood thing
So, what distro do you use between waking up with SolydK and going to bed...er...relaxing with SolydX? 8-)

User avatar
StratosJL
Posts: 23
Joined: 15 Mar 2014 19:59
Location: Athens, Greece
Contact:

Re: MATE Desktop in SolydX repos

Postby StratosJL » 25 Mar 2014 21:49

@fleabus: I agree with you, up until version 1.8 Cinnamon was almost unusable - heavy and freeze-prone. That's how I developed a liking towards MATE. With time, it became more than just a rescue boat for Gnome 2.30 fans.

However, now with version 2.0 Cinnamon really shines. But I had already come to a point where I was looking for a Debian-based rolling distribution, so I had to ditch Mint Main edition. I did not want to go with LMDE Cinnamon, because it would break sooner or later (with LMDE I always followed Debian Testing). There was no SolydC, nor SolydM, so I settled with SolydX for now. And I'm happy.

Regarding KDE, I was an early adopter, even before Gnome came into existence (as a reaction from open-source purists who rejected the idea of using the then-commercial-only QT library, even though it created a superior platform). At some point however, KDE's DE paradigm diverted too much from mine. Just a case of personal taste.

User avatar
Zill
Posts: 1850
Joined: 13 Aug 2013 14:28
Location: Lincolnshire, UK

Re: MATE Desktop in SolydX repos

Postby Zill » 25 Mar 2014 22:31

Maybe I am missing the point here but what is the advantage of Solyd with the MATE DE? SolydXK currently supports the XFCE and KDE DE's as these are no longer available with a Mint base. However, LMDE MATE is alive and well and provides an excellent semi-rolling distro based on Debian Testing. As this seems to be exactly what Solyd MATE will offer, I fail to see the point of this. Will SolydXK become SolydXKM to signify "official" support for MATE?

User avatar
zerozero
Posts: 5373
Joined: 10 Feb 2013 23:37
Location: West Midlands, England
Contact:

Re: MATE Desktop in SolydX repos

Postby zerozero » 25 Mar 2014 22:46

Zill wrote:Will SolydXK become SolydXKM to signify "official" support for MATE?
no, it was stated many times that we won't officially support more than K and X;
all the other DE/WM are welcome (as long as properly supported by debian) but they will remain as user modification.
bliss of ignorance

User avatar
fleabus
Posts: 1227
Joined: 16 Sep 2013 04:24
Location: Winchester, VA USA

Re: MATE Desktop in SolydX repos

Postby fleabus » 26 Mar 2014 03:35

drc wrote:
fleabus wrote:For me it's a mood thing
So, what distro do you use between waking up with SolydK and going to bed...er...relaxing with SolydX? 8-)
:lol:
Well, one always tries others, just out of curiosity, and in the interest of learning. For me lately it's been MX-14. I don't stray from Debian for many reasons, mostly philosophical. Made that decision a long time ago. Even so, trying another distro often feels like going all the way back to ground-zero, like being in a different country with different customs. Solyd is my home, and it's good to have a home like Solyd to return to.

Once over at Debian, I got slightly involved in one of those "Why do you use Debian"-type discussions. I allowed as I had pitched my tent here at Solyd because above all I'm lazy and wanted a pre-configured Debian -- there are a lot of them! -- and IMO Solyd is simply the absolute best of the best.
zerozero wrote:it was stated many times that we won't officially support more than K and X; all the other DE/WM are welcome (as long as properly supported by debian) but they will remain as user modification.
And this is why I stay, and why I always come home after a day of playing out there in the world. Solyd will always be... Well... Solyd.

There is always all this talk of bringing in other DEs. Frankly it mystifies me as these other DEs are only a few clicks away any time one wishes to try them; there is no reason to officially bring them into Solyd, or for Solyd to deviate from its stated goals and purpose. Anyone is free to create their own SolydM, SolydC, SolydG, indeed whatever they want, and this is the beauty of it.

Solyd has succeeded, and still succeeds, in carrying forth those original goals and stated original purpose. And that's what makes it so good to be here, and with Debian, which also somehow manages to stand steadfastly beside its principles of creation, despite all the internal strife that naturally accompanies any large gathering of poor old benighted homo sap. This type of community spirit has also attracted me to the Mepis/antiX group, although Solyd is my home of record; it's on my driver's license. :lol:

I've said elsewhere that finally after 30 years -- having spent my life and work in the world of computing, Here, Finally, is something I can honestly get behind, and feel good about, even just as a user.

[/soapbox]

Now. See? Don't get me started... :lol: :mrgreen: :oops:

User avatar
zerozero
Posts: 5373
Joined: 10 Feb 2013 23:37
Location: West Midlands, England
Contact:

Re: MATE Desktop in SolydX repos

Postby zerozero » 26 Mar 2014 03:39

where is the LIKE button when you need it?
bliss of ignorance

User avatar
fleabus
Posts: 1227
Joined: 16 Sep 2013 04:24
Location: Winchester, VA USA

Re: MATE Desktop in SolydX repos

Postby fleabus » 26 Mar 2014 04:13

zerozero wrote:where is the LIKE button when you need it?
:lol: :mrgreen:

Can't have that ...
Next comes the "Yukk!" button, or the "Throw Rotten Tomato" button... :lol:

User avatar
StratosJL
Posts: 23
Joined: 15 Mar 2014 19:59
Location: Athens, Greece
Contact:

Re: MATE Desktop in SolydX repos

Postby StratosJL » 26 Mar 2014 12:47

Zill wrote:Maybe I am missing the point here but what is the advantage of Solyd with the MATE DE? SolydXK currently supports the XFCE and KDE DE's as these are no longer available with a Mint base. However, LMDE MATE is alive and well and provides an excellent semi-rolling distro based on Debian Testing. As this seems to be exactly what Solyd MATE will offer, I fail to see the point of this. Will SolydXK become SolydXKM to signify "official" support for MATE?
fleabus wrote:There is always all this talk of bringing in other DEs. Frankly it mystifies me as these other DEs are only a few clicks away any time one wishes to try them; there is no reason to officially bring them into Solyd, or for Solyd to deviate from its stated goals and purpose. Anyone is free to create their own SolydM, SolydC, SolydG, indeed whatever they want, and this is the beauty of it.

Solyd has succeeded, and still succeeds, in carrying forth those original goals and stated original purpose. And that's what makes it so good to be here, and with Debian, which also somehow manages to stand steadfastly beside its principles of creation, despite all the internal strife that naturally accompanies any large gathering of poor old benighted homo sap. This type of community spirit has also attracted me to the Mepis/antiX group, although Solyd is my home of record; it's on my driver's license. :lol:
Sorry if I have caused any misunderstandings. When I referred to "SolydC"and "SolydM", it was in a figurative manner. I do not expect Solyd to go out of its way to officially support every possible DE on the planet. Apologies for not making that clear.

In 5 lines or less, this is what I meant:

My own personal favourite at the moment would be a Cinnamon 2.0+ DE on a rolling Debian-based distribution. My personal second-best would be a MATE DE. But I would not have either of them running directly on Debian Testing, nor under LMDE's umbrella. Following Debian Testing leads to breakages, as ZZ knows all too well. On the other hand, using a distribution that stays almost frozen for several months (or closer to a year) is not my personal definition of "alive and well". The best solution for me: follow a rock solyd (pun intended) frequently updated semi-rolling distribution based on Testing which would allow me to piggyback MATE or Cinnamon, after they are officially packaged in Testing - and always having SolydX as a fine fallback option. Nice and easy, just like fleabus said (btw, you also had me looking for the "like" button).

(oops, that's more than five lines)

Great work guys, thanks!


Return to “Community Packages Requests”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest