MATE Desktop in SolydX repos

fleabus

Re: MATE Desktop in SolydX repos

Postby fleabus » 26 Mar 2014 13:27

StratosJL wrote:Sorry if I have caused any misunderstandings.
You didn't, not at all! :) I apologize, I get kind of forceful at times... I was reacting to zz's mention of the the myriad discussions wherein it's been suggested that the Solyd devs offer alternative ISOs with DEs other than X and K.

Solyd quite nicely fills a big hole in the universe by providing a Rolling Debian K/X distribution of Excellent Quality.

Nothing at all wrong with SolydC, G, M, SolydRazor, or whatever.... Having alternatives available in the repos as the original post said, is what allows these things to happen-- as community efforts. Since Solyd tracks testing for the most part, we'll get many of these alternatives already, and the more adventurous can temporarily enable Sid, or even track it should they desire to. Again that's the beauty of it....

GeneC

Postby GeneC » 26 Mar 2014 14:25

fleabus wrote:........................
ay of playing out there in the world. Solyd will always be... Well... Solyd.

There is always all this talk of bringing in other DEs. Frankly it mystifies me as these other DEs are only a few clicks away any time one wishes to try them; there is no reason to officially bring them into Solyd, or for Solyd to deviate from its stated goals and purpose. Anyone is free to create their own SolydM, SolydC, SolydG, indeed whatever they want, and this is the beauty of it.

Solyd has succeeded, and still succeeds, in carrying forth those original goals and stated original purpose. And that's what makes it so good to be here, and with Debian,...
Agreed.. :)

The basic SoldXK packages are fine as is. Lets let the developers concentrate on that. If we want to experiment (that's me... :lol: ..) we have a good base to work with. Its up to the community work on its own for customizsations such as new DM's, tracking Testing or SID, or whatever. If you try something new and it works please share with "HOW TO's, tutorials "..
GeneC

Debian (Testing)
Siduction (Debian SID)

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 26 Mar 2014 14:43

GeneC wrote: If we want to experiment (that's me... :lol: ..)
And a big ol' me too on that one! Now there's an addiction I hope I never recover from!
:lol:

drc

Postby drc » 26 Mar 2014 15:09

fleabus wrote:
GeneC wrote: If we want to experiment (that's me... :lol: ..)
And a big ol' me too on that one! Now there's an addiction I hope I never recover from!
:lol:
On the otherhand, I'm sort of glad that I was able to kick that "monkey on my back". My (physical) desktop is much cleaner (from a high of 9 computers to only one laptop (we won't talk about how many the Youngest Daughter has)), my electricity bill is way reduced and I don't have to fix things as much (experimenting = breaking, in my case anyway).

My number one criteria in a distro nowadays is: after installing and configuring to my liking, would I want to keep this distro if all development (in all distros) came to a screeching halt? My number two criteria is: a "release" should be as sol(y)d as possible, no more "well, we'll release now and fix things later, maybe in the next release". And my third is: A default install should follow the KISS priciple, small, simple, and elegant...but with the ability to add what <I> want after the install (pimping the computer is extremely personal, that's why there are ~400 linux distros).

I glad to say that SolydX (mainly) satisfies these three criteria. It's not perfect (none are), but its the best I have found (and I've tried almost all DW's top 50 :geek:

Zill

Postby Zill » 26 Mar 2014 15:43

StratosJL wrote:The best solution for me: follow a rock solyd (pun intended) frequently updated semi-rolling distribution based on Testing ...
If this works for you then this is fine. However, I disagree that rock solid (traditional meaning!) can ever truly be synonymous with "frequently updated". The most stable systems are those which are well established and intensively tested and debugged over a long period of time. This is the basis for Debian Stable and does make for a genuinely rock solid system.

However, this does, inevitably mean that most of the packages will be older versions as these are the most thoroughly tested. Users who want (or even need!) more up-to-date packages can choose a system that gets more frequent updates (such as LMDE or Solyd) but this may mean sacrificing some stability. For most home users this is not usually a problem, although for business users it can be which is why SolydK Business Edition is based on Debian Stable.

IMHO both LMDE and Solyd provide an excellent balance for home users of stability combined with relatively up-to-date packages. However I doubt if they could really be considered as "solid" as Debian Stable.

drc

Postby drc » 26 Mar 2014 15:51

Zill wrote:However I doubt if they could really be considered as "solid" as Debian Stable.
D'accord.

I find it interesting that both distros that are best known for "stability" (Debian and Slackware) have editions that allow for "unstability" (-testing/-experimental and -current, respectively)...and that I personaly use a third option that allows for me to be lazy (SolydX and Salix, again respectively)

StratosJL

Postby StratosJL » 26 Mar 2014 18:37

Sorry for the off topic question:
What's the deal with the cool "SolydX User" badges in the signature? How do I get me one of those?

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 26 Mar 2014 18:47

drc wrote:On the otherhand, I'm sort of glad that I was able to kick that "monkey on my back". My (physical) desktop is much cleaner ... and I don't have to fix things as much (experimenting = breaking, in my case anyway).
I guess I solved that problem (for the most part :mrgreen: ) by multibooting. I have my play partitions, and I also have old faithfuls like SolydX Home, SolydKBE, Mepis12. It's looking as if I may be able to add MX-14 to the list of old faithfuls.

So maybe it's ALL a mood thing with me! :lol: -- When I get in the mood, I go off on one of the play partitions and experiment(=break things), play with Sid, break things, try new distros, break things, and have fun. When I'm in a mood to relax, I boot the SolydX Home, or the SolydKBE and sit back and read my books, watch my videos, write, listen to music, or make DVDs for the grandkids.

I also collect old hardware and OS-tinker with that for fun and learning, thus the above reference to "for the most part". :lol:

It appears that multibooting is also an addiction. :oops:

drc

Postby drc » 26 Mar 2014 19:42

fleabus wrote:It appears that multibooting is also an addiction. :oops:
Yeah, like methadone instead of heroin. :cry:

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 26 Mar 2014 19:48

StratosJL wrote:What's the deal with the cool "SolydX User" badges in the signature? How do I get me one of those?
Here ya go Stratos:
Userbars

StratosJL

Postby StratosJL » 26 Mar 2014 21:17

fleabus wrote:Here ya go Stratos:
Userbars
Much obliged!

Longshot

Postby Longshot » 01 Apr 2014 18:00

Does that mean Cinnamon might be in the repos one day?

StratosJL

Postby StratosJL » 01 Apr 2014 19:50

Longshot wrote:Does that mean Cinnamon might be in the repos one day?
I am not a SolydX developer, but if I have understood correctly, it would appear inevitable for Cinnamon to be in SolydXK's repos with a future UP, once Cinnamon becomes packaged in Debian Testing. The team's focus will not be to provide a working Cinnamon desktop, but if it is already in Debian Testing and it works, it will also work on SolydXK.

StratosJL

Postby StratosJL » 01 Apr 2014 20:25

Funny thing is, after beautifying XFCE with Zukitwo theme, Faenza icons, desktop and app fonts, enabling the composite manager and installing cairo-dock, I do not miss MATE at all - not even the Mint version with MintMenu. Cinnamon... hmmm... almost.

Longshot

Postby Longshot » 01 Apr 2014 22:39

To tell you the truth, Xfce has really surprized me too. I don't really miss anything from Ubuntu or Linux Mint since I started using SolydX, that includes Cinnamon but it's always good to have the option.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 01 Apr 2014 23:05

StratosJL wrote:
Longshot wrote:Does that mean Cinnamon might be in the repos one day?
I am not a SolydX developer, but if I have understood correctly, it would appear inevitable for Cinnamon to be in SolydXK's repos with a future UP, once Cinnamon becomes packaged in Debian Testing. The team's focus will not be to provide a working Cinnamon desktop, but if it is already in Debian Testing and it works, it will also work on SolydXK.
this ^ :)
cinnamon was already available in debian testing but the eternal gnome transitions :mrgreen: broke it and it was removed;
it will come back certainly in the near (?) future
(at the moment there's, again, a gnome transition ongoing and a dependency missing https://release.debian.org/migration/te ... e=cinnamon)
bliss of ignorance

woodsman

Postby woodsman » 08 Jun 2014 03:19

The mate-system-tools package is not in the solydx repos. Digging deeper, the package is not available in Debian either. I found an RFP for the package. I don't know what influence you folks might have but would be nice to get the package upstream into Debian. Mate will be incomplete without that package. Side note: The package is available in Mint. They must build their own?

lufilte

MATE Desktop in SolydX

Postby lufilte » 16 Jun 2014 19:15

Hello PPL
Just instaled today the Mate in XFCE.
We listen our friends tell there are work on Mate and soon we guet news.
Is there some news? are some work that we can test? ok i would like to install all the look & feel of Solyd on Mate.
Since the Iconset of Mate is "old"
Latly i've get some isues on XFCE desktop, also start to be a little heavy.
Untill now my small experience is Great and satisfy.
Some month ago i said that Mate & Cinnamon are 2 Desktop Managers that run to death, since that i use Mate i change my mind and i believe that the Community Mate will be sucessfull.

Hugs and Thanks

Translator|Testing
Escolhi ser livre por isso uso Linux!

helmsdeeper

Postby helmsdeeper » 17 Jun 2014 10:44

This come directly from the Mate wiki for Debian -
http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download

MATE 1.8 is currently packaged for wheezy (backports), testing (jessie) and unstable. In the case of wheezy the backports repository has to be enabled as described in the official backport documentation. Do make sure you update the repository after enabling backports.

# Make sure package list is up-to-date.
sudo apt-get update
# To install MATE choose *one* of the three apt-get lines below.
# This will install the base packages required for a minimal MATE desktop
sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment-core
# This will install the complete MATE desktop
sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment
# This will install the complete MATE desktop including a few extras
sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment-extras

StratosJL

Postby StratosJL » 29 Jun 2014 16:04

I only see mate-desktop and mate-desktop-common in synaptic. Maybe the rest is not in solydxk repos yet.
I wish they also had mintmenu and the control panel that mint has...

Return to “Community Packages Requests”