Pipelight

garzy69

Pipelight

Postby garzy69 » 01 Apr 2014 11:13

Please can you add Pipelight (ability to play drm tv streams) to the repositories ?

Directions given on the pipelight site are not for beginner users. It would be easier if it is in the repo.

Thanks

MAYBL8

Re: Pipelight

Postby MAYBL8 » 01 Apr 2014 11:15

garzy69

Postby garzy69 » 02 Apr 2014 12:25

Do you think it's easy for new Linux users?
Why going to use terminal if this operation can be done easily using Synaptic?
Why trying to make simple things in complicated way?
Difficult things SHOULD be done only by expert users.
Easy things (like installing one simple package)CAN be done by everybody.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 02 Apr 2014 22:34

interesting :) i hear you.
are you available to convert this request into a proposal?
bliss of ignorance

garzy69

Postby garzy69 » 03 Apr 2014 12:02

No absolutely. I'm a newbie and not a developer.
But let me explain one thing: I always think "If it works with Windows then it should work also with Linux".
I see that in Windows I can see all videos without touching/searching any repo.
You can say "You can't compare Linux to Windows" Ok it's true, but as I said available codecs shouldn't be so difficult to be installed.
Maybe I'm wrong(being newbie)but I would like one OS that basically offers basic yet ready things as Windows do.
For other particular details I see that using terminal can be the solution.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 03 Apr 2014 13:33

garzy69 wrote:No absolutely. I'm a newbie and not a developer.
But let me explain one thing: I always think "If it works with Windows then it should work also with Linux".
I see that in Windows I can see all videos without touching/searching any repo.
You can say "You can't compare Linux to Windows" Ok it's true, but as I said available codecs shouldn't be so difficult to be installed.
Maybe I'm wrong(being newbie)but I would like one OS that basically offers basic yet ready things as Windows do.
For other particular details I see that using terminal can be the solution.
Let us look at the Windows/Netflix combination. Straight out of the box, Win7 will not play Netflix streaming video. Why? Because, on Windows, Netflix requires Silverlight. Silverlight is not installed on a computer during the Windows install. It is available after install from Windows Update. And, even then, it's an optional download that must be actively selected by the user (it's not selected by default). Once that's done, Netflix is pretty much a plug-n-play operation.

Linux/Netflix - Netflix actively bars Linux from playing streaming video ... something to do with DRM? So, there's Pipelight and a few other things that need to be added to a Linux install to make it work.

Is the Linux situation simple and straight-forward? No, not yet. But it's getting there. And, you gotta remember that Linux and it's applications are developed/maintained by volunteers. Windows/Mac are developed/maintained by folks driven by a profit motivation. There's going to be some lag.

Finally, there is nothing about an O/S that is simple. They are very complex beasts. When something looks simple to a user it's because someone (or a groups of someones) has taken the time and expended the effort to package the process and hide it behind the click of a button.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

garzy69

Postby garzy69 » 03 Apr 2014 15:34

1)Do you install Silverlight in Windows with 10 orders from terminal? NO
http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php? ... t#p28167No

2)Windows way is: What do I need to let Netfix works? Silverlight. Ok. Here it's ready.

3)Am I criticizing someone? Volunteers, developers? No. It's only a suggestion.
Unfortunately mine is a way of thinking. If you say that it's hard to do I please to forgive me.
I'm only saying that it's important for simple "home users" having basic ready services.
You should use terminal only for very particular things. But not for basic.
Is Silverlight used in the 1% of the world videos? Is it so rare?

In practice:What does Windows use for its video? Silverlight. Ok give to our users one app (even to add from Synaptic)that allowes to watch videos that request Silverlight.
That's all.

zerozero asked me to convert it in proposal.
I write under what I think (without hurting anyone)
1)Check the most common video formats and create packages ready for that.
2)Do the same for other basic functions: sounds, videos, pics.
3)Think that not everybody want to spend many time to configure OS for doing simple things.
Think about this things:
Think about who home users are, and what basically they need.
Can your OS be used by a 70 years old man, or it is exclusively for experts?

Zill

Postby Zill » 03 Apr 2014 20:00

garzy69: You have pointed out some apparent "deficiencies" with your new SolydXK Linux system. However, you should appreciate that free and open source software (FOSS), such as GNU/Linux is developed on a totally different basis to the proprietary software from the mega-corporations such as Microsoft and Apple.

In the FOSS world, developers (many of whom are volunteers) only work on what they want to. As humble users we simply cannot demand that they provide functionality that we want! If, as a user, we want a particular feature or functionality then we should join the appropriate development team and help do the necessary work.

This document may help explain things: Linux is Not Windows

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 03 Apr 2014 23:06

garzy69
you are "complaining" (mind the commas) at the wrong door;
it's not linux's fault that silverlight doesn't run natively; blame it on microsoft that created a proprietary technology and (once more) tries to lock-down users.

some additional reading for you about what is and what is not silverlight http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Silverlight

also blame it on netflix that holds-on upon a proprietary technology to control and capitalize over its users;

what you see on the linux side is actually quiet an achievement (and a couple years ago was unthinkable): a few users/hackers said "enough" and found a way (it's an hack, understand this, pipelight in linux is an hack) to make that long standing dream come true.
bliss of ignorance

garzy69

Postby garzy69 » 04 Apr 2014 08:31

Zill, I repeat again... I'm not criticizing Solydx. I'm just saying what I would expect from every linux distro.
As I said I'm not a developer so I can't understand how can I help a development team. I can give only my opinion.
Finally I've found someone who explain the basic differences between Windows and Linux without telling the same old story of the first kernel worked by Linus Torvalds and so on...You are concrete, and I like this.

Zerozero: Ok for proprietary tecnology, but we by-pass Office using Wine. Could be possible doing a thing like that also for other Microsoft things?
I see 2 things in topics: Configurability and usability.
I prefer having more usability instead of being happy because my dock can move in 20 ways. Can you understand what I mean?
When you say that 2 years ago all this was unthinkable, I understand that the entire Linux world is in constantly progress.I've started right now to know it. Sorry.

We both are right, but try to understand me: I use Linux since last September and I think it's normal having doubts (not for Solydx, but for Linux in general)when I see some things, and tell how I would like it works.
I see my ideas like a target. Am I wrong?
Forgive me again!

ess82

Postby ess82 » 01 Nov 2014 10:58

Hi guys, following instructions on pipelight.net was easy and I was able to install and enable pipelight. It only works with FF tho, is there a way to make it working with Chrome?

wildman

Postby wildman » 01 Nov 2014 14:58

ess82 wrote:Hi guys, following instructions on pipelight.net was easy and I was able to install and enable pipelight. It only works with FF tho, is there a way to make it working with Chrome?
Chrome can be used for Netflix without pipelight. Look here:
http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php ... =20#p45248
More info here:
http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php ... =20#p47089
Wildman
May the Source be with you.

ess82

Postby ess82 » 01 Nov 2014 16:54

Thanks Wildman, I need pipelight to watch BT Sport here in the UK, I'll look on that post later on, thanks anyway

wildman

Postby wildman » 01 Nov 2014 21:52

ess82 wrote:Thanks Wildman, I need pipelight to watch BT Sport here in the UK, I'll look on that post later on, thanks anyway
The reason Netflix will work with Chrome is that they, Netflix, are moving toward HTML5, which Chrome supports. If BT Sport also supports HTML5, this approach could work. Nothing to loose trying it except 10 minutes of your time. It is likely that all Silverlight web sites will be moving toward HTML5 because MS had dropped support for Silverlight.
Wildman

ess82

Postby ess82 » 04 Nov 2014 16:20

I just went to give it a try, but I have no idea what is ment by "User-Agent" :oops: LOL
is that some kind of settings inside chrome? When I go to settings I can't see anything called "Groups"

wildman

Postby wildman » 04 Nov 2014 21:23

ess82 wrote:I just went to give it a try, but I have no idea what is ment by "User-Agent" :oops: LOL
is that some kind of settings inside chrome? When I go to settings I can't see anything called "Groups"
User-Agent is the browser name that is reported to the website. This is in case adjustments are necessary for a particular browser.

The idea is to trick the website into using HTML5 instead of Silverlight/Pipelight by changing the User-Agent reported by the browser. I can't give you a better explanation. Someone else would have to explain it to me first. :oops:

To change the User-Agent that Chrome reports, you must first install an extension called User-Agent Switcher for Chrome. Follow the instructions at the links I provided in my previous post.
Wildman

ess82

Postby ess82 » 05 Nov 2014 20:19

ahh .. I missed this line in instructions

Code: Select all

In Chrome goto Menu-->Tools-->Extensions and install User-Agent Switcher for Chrome.
of course I know what user-agent means, just got confused .. never mind

anyway, it doesn't really work for me, the end says "restart chrome" but when I do that, it comes back to default and I have to select that option again, then restart and it's back to default again, will have to fiddle around with it later

thanks anyway wildman

wildman

Postby wildman » 05 Nov 2014 22:43

ess82 wrote:anyway, it doesn't really work for me, the end says "restart chrome" but when I do that, it comes back to default and I have to select that option again, then restart and it's back to default again, will have to fiddle around with it later

thanks anyway wildman
You need to tell it to remember the last User-Agent used. See attached image.
Attachments
user-agent.png
user-agent.png (37.02 KiB) Viewed 4327 times
Wildman

Return to “Community Packages Requests”