[Solved] How about a SolydM?

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.
Raoldkel

[Solved] How about a SolydM?

Postby Raoldkel » 17 Nov 2016 15:50

Hi.

How about a SolydM? That being a MATE version.

SolydMXK

SolydForEver

Re: How about a SolydM?

Postby SolydForEver » 17 Nov 2016 16:31

it exists already, it is called LMDE-Mate.

Raoldkel

Postby Raoldkel » 19 Nov 2016 11:54

SolydForEver wrote:it exists already, it is called LMDE-Mate.

Hi SFE.

LMDE is no way near as polished as the Solyd distros. The Ubuntu-based Linux Mint releases seem to get far more attention unfortunately.

Cool username BTW. ;-)

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 19 Nov 2016 12:06

Raoldkel wrote:

Hi SFE.

LMDE is no way near as polished as the Solyd distros. The Ubuntu-based Linux Mint releases seem to get far more attention unfortunately.

Cool username BTW. ;-)

Agree completely. But for me, as a true KDE lover, every distro with another desktop is not as polished as mine is.
I also agree that LMDE gets less attention, which is a shame as we can see here with SolydXK. The distro deserves more, but apparently Ubuntu has great influence in the decision of the Mint-makers.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 19 Nov 2016 14:17

you can solydxk-ing any debian based distro. remember that solydxk originally a community edition of lmde. my system also originally a solydxk-ied lmde. though, later I reinstall my system because I want to play with several distros.

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 19 Nov 2016 15:13

kurotsugi wrote:remember that solydxk originally a community edition of lmde.

Off topic, but fun trivia, this is where it all started: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=228&t=103839

As to the OP's question. I need to limit myself in regards to SolydXK. I'm fortunate that the (domain) name does not give room for more DEs. However, and I've said it more often, I will help everybody who would like to build and maintain any CE.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 19 Nov 2016 15:57

Aah, the memories of the good old days.
Happy that you did that back then? Must have been a lot of work to make it all possible, to start it but also to keep it alive.
Is it time for your memoirs already so we can all read what happened, how it started, who helped, etc. Must be a great book.

jsalpha2

Postby jsalpha2 » 20 Nov 2016 00:54

SolydB Budgie? ;)

Raoldkel

Postby Raoldkel » 21 Nov 2016 14:16

SolydForEver wrote:
Raoldkel wrote:

Hi SFE.

Cool username BTW. ;-)

Agree completely. But for me, as a true KDE lover, every distro with another desktop is not as polished as mine is.
I also agree that LMDE gets less attention, which is a shame as we can see here with SolydXK. The distro deserves more, but apparently Ubuntu has great influence in the decision of the Mint-makers.

Agreed. As the SolydXK team have shown - a Debian distro can be made to be very user-friendly.

LMDE seems almost forgotten. :cry:

Raoldkel

Postby Raoldkel » 21 Nov 2016 14:17

jsalpha2 wrote:SolydB Budgie? ;)

Hi jsalpha2.

That would make it SolydBMXK. :D

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 09 Jan 2017 18:50

Raoldkel wrote:
jsalpha2 wrote:SolydB Budgie? ;)

Hi jsalpha2.

That would make it SolydBMXK. :D

I've been looking a lot at LXQt and Budgie both lately. I was thinking along the same lines. If we included LxQt and Budgie we would be 'SolydBLKX'. That would be pronounced 'Solid Blacks' Of course, we would probably have to adopt a darker default color like the stock Budgie color to align with our new black name.

Although, I like the idea of having all these official desktops. I really think sticking with 2 is enough. In many ways I actually prefer a distro that just focuses on one desktop and does it well. I think resources can get spread to thin if you try to take on too much. Then there is the whole issue of keeping things looking the same. Schoelje does a great job of keeping xfce and KDE looking similar. Its obvious both desktops are made by the same team. But something like Gnome or even Budgie have quiet a different layouts and you would loose that consistency. For whatever thats worth. I imagine some might argue that its better for each desktop to just play to its strengths even if they differ from one another within the same organization. Certainly all the Ubuntu desktops each have their own personalities and it seems Ubuntu has no concerns about maintaining any consistencies about appearance between Unity and any other desktops. But then again, they are all actually different groups creating each distro, even if they fall under the Ubuntu banner. Much like our community editions. So to that end, I guess, thats what the community editions are for.

One final thought. I did see something on the Sparky Linux forums that their is a possibility they may create a 'Stable' based edition after Stretch is released as Stable. I think they offer more desktop choices. But again, they risk reliability by taking on too many desktops along with a stable and rolling edition.

sdibaja

Postby sdibaja » 10 Jun 2017 13:41

Schoelje wrote:
kurotsugi wrote:remember that solydxk originally a community edition of lmde.

Off topic, but fun trivia, this is where it all started: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=228&t=103839

As to the OP's question. I need to limit myself in regards to SolydXK. I'm fortunate that the (domain) name does not give room for more DEs. However, and I've said it more often, I will help everybody who would like to build and maintain any CE.

Thanks for that, I do understand.
LMDE Mate is badly broken, so I guess I have to jump ship.
I have made several SolydX installs and by fumbling around with Synaptic have gotten Mate working just fine... but it is cluttered with the Xfce things.
If someone were to provide a method or recommend procedure to install X or K, then add Mate, but strip out the redundant apps I would appreciate the help.

My best to all, Peter
Peter E aka "dumb as a brick"

Schoelje
Site Admin

Re: [Solved] How about a SolydM?

Postby Schoelje » 10 Jun 2017 14:18

Perhaps something like this can help:

Code: Select all

apt purge $(apt search xfce | grep ^i | awk '{print $2}')

But double check the packages that are going to be removed and save that list to a file.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

sdibaja

Re: [Solved] How about a SolydM?

Postby sdibaja » 11 Jun 2017 14:00

Schoelje wrote:Perhaps something like this can help:

Code: Select all

apt purge $(apt search xfce | grep ^i | awk '{print $2}')

But double check the packages that are going to be removed and save that list to a file.

Thanks, that works very nicely.
I did archive the output, but it was not needed.
I did add back a couple Xfce apps that I like and installed gnome-power-manager
Peter E aka "dumb as a brick"

Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”