SolydK - add Kdenlive

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

SolydK - add Kdenlive

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 26 Sep 2013 09:15

Spatry made me think about Kdenlive.

I think he has a point when he mentions missing Kdenlive.
I use it to make my tutorials, it's a really good video editor, and easy to use.

What do you think?

Note: Because Kdenlive is a video editing program, especially made for KDE, this is only considered to be added to SolydK, not SolydX.

[EDIT]
This topic was hijacked: all posts were archived.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ane champenois

Re: SolydK - add Kdenlive

Postby ane champenois » 26 Sep 2013 14:22

Schoelje wrote:Spatry made me think about Kdenlive.

I think he has a point when he mentions missing Kdenlive.
I use it to make my tutorials, it's a really good video editor, and easy to use.

What do you think?

Note: Because Kdenlive is a video editing program, especially made for KDE, this is only considered to be added to SolydK, not SolydX.
It seems to be a good idea: the Kde suite is full of intersting tools, like this one.
Pro ;)
They did not know it was impossible so they did it.

odo5435

Postby odo5435 » 26 Sep 2013 15:28

There is not a video editor included in the SolydK installation so I believe you should consider it. You have a DVD/CD manager and a sound editor but there is no video editor.

Not being a person who has a real need for a video editor, (I've only used one (Avidemux) occasionally for simple tasks like joining files) I can't comment on which editor should be included. There are probably as many opinions on this topic as there are ar... erm, users.

But, even if there is only a limited demand, I do think you should at least consider including one of the video editors in the installation package. At the very least, it'll save someone asking sometime in the future "Why isn't a video editor included?".

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody."
Lily Tomlin

EldreThe

Postby EldreThe » 26 Sep 2013 16:40

I'm not sure that including Kdenlive on a default install is the way to go, even if it is a viable video editor.

SolydK shouldn't include a program from the KDE SC "just because it offers X functionality". It should be because the functionality is necessary to
SolydXK.com wrote:...providing an environment that is both stable and secure.
Realistically, most of the programs included with SolydK are either for daily use (Web/Email/Media/Office). Is Kdenlive going to be for daily use for a majority of the userbase? If not, it becomes bloat to those users.

SolydK doesn't include any games, but there are some good ones in KDE SC. Should they be included? Please no. It isn't necessary, it's out of the projects goals, it's bloat, and I repeat, SolydK shouldn't include program(s) from KDE SC just because of a function, it should be because the function is necessary to the project goal.
Best Regards

Eldre, The

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 26 Sep 2013 18:09

Tho in principle I agree not adding to much to minimize the bloat.
Makes me wonder about the graphics category?

I'm a photographer and I don't use 75% of the programs listed there.
And was quite taken back to the number of programs many with quite specific and specialized functions not used by many photographers as well as by most users?

And would rather see darktable there as a powerful photographers editing program for serious image editing than a Dng converter,Lens calibrator,Panorama,Exposure blender,photo organizer which many of those functions and organizing already built in on most more advanced photo editing programs like darktable. Instead a need to run multiple programs that do only 1 function.

How about a compromise and removing a few of those to include a video editor and darktable?
Just a thought!
Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 26 Sep 2013 18:43

@orbmiser
Could you start a new topic here to replace kipi-plugins and hugin (I think that's what you are referring to), and replace it by darktable, including the arguments you just gave.

@eldrethe
I think that the "stability and security" argument linked to the "every day use applications" argument is a bit stretched.
None of the "every day use applications" do increase stability or security. However, "stability and security" would be a viable argument if Kdenlive would decrease stability and security of the system, and I don't see that proven. There are more applications in SolydK and SolydX that are not "every day use applications". As Orbmiser pointed out: large part of the Graphics section is not used on a daily basis by many people. I would consider Steam to fit in the first category, but I don't think it would be wise to remove it from SolydXK.

SolydXK needs you!

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 26 Sep 2013 19:45

Schoelje wrote:@orbmiser
Could you start a new topic here to replace kipi-plugins and hugin (I think that's what you are referring to), and replace it by darktable, including the arguments you just gave.
Sorry about that and wasn't thinking about it hijacking your thread! :?
And thanks and started a thread about it.
Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

EldreThe

Postby EldreThe » 26 Sep 2013 20:15

I agree that Kdenlive would not decrease the security or stability of the base installed system, and certainly much less than the proprietary gaming platform included. The point I was trying to make is the stated goal is to provide "an environment".

Is Steam outside of that scope? Probably. Are the graphical tools included outside the scope? Possibly. Is Kdenlive outside the scope?

To be clear, I am not advocating removing Steam, because it's a nice feature and while the image tools could potentially be discussed in another thread, they have their place too. The problem is, additional software should not be added to SolydXK for the purpose of "it is available and Solyd doesn't currently offer anything for its function".

Solyd doesn't include a video editor, audio editor, e-book library management or SIP client. That doesn't mean that Kdenlive, Audacity, Calibre, and Linphone need to be included because it's outside the stated goal of the project.
Best Regards

Eldre, The

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 26 Sep 2013 20:40

@eldrethe
Those are good arguments (or arguments I can understand).
Let's see what others have to say.

SolydXK needs you!

greywolf

Postby greywolf » 26 Sep 2013 23:18

Well, I do home video production ALL the time. It is one of my primary uses of my computers.

Just as an aside; in the professional lab I used to be associated with all work was done on Linux/Unix computers using Betamax. Windows and VHS just did not cut it in the 'real' world.

Anyway, Kdenlive is, IMO, an excellent program to include. Along with Openshot they seem to have captured the essence of what people want to do with their home movies. Kdenlive though is much 'simpler' to use, more intuative for the novice I think.

The other thing is, irrespective of origins, it does not drag in half of KDE as dependencies like some apps tend to; so, using it in SolydX is totally viable.

Just an opinion,
greywolf.
It was about the dragons. It was always about the dragons!

RalphB

Postby RalphB » 27 Sep 2013 02:00

I say its a good option, as I myself use Kkdenlive for video editing.
A am working on a video series right now, its in its early phase but i will begin production in October.

kyodev

Postby kyodev » 27 Sep 2013 06:44

EldreThe wrote:Solyd doesn't include a video editor, audio editor, e-book library management or SIP client. That doesn't mean that Kdenlive, Audacity, Calibre, and Linphone need to be included because it's outside the stated goal of the project.
I discover linux with a graphic environment but an advantage is to provide a basis for beginners to quickly make more.
perhaps for not to weigh, a meta-package "useful and advisable"?

ane champenois

Postby ane champenois » 27 Sep 2013 09:45

hum...Interesting discussion. 8-)
IMHO the best option could be that, when you install the system, the installer asked you about installing some intersting programs in order to avoid enormous menus where users lost themselves :roll:
But it isn't the case (perhaps another ideas) so we have to choose.
I think with your way Eldrethe, almost everything could be removed :mrgreen:
Everything depneds on the target we have...

I know that I didn't help a lot to choose if Kdenlive is to be includedbut I'm thinking of it with you ;)
They did not know it was impossible so they did it.

kyodev

Postby kyodev » 27 Sep 2013 10:23

ane champenois wrote:when you install the system, the installer asked you about installing some intersting programs in order to avoid enormous menus where users lost themselves
yes, something like tasksel?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 27 Sep 2013 12:15

Gentlemen, I know it can be difficult, but please, stay on topic: Kdenlive in SolydK, or not?
Anything else should be started in a different topic.

SolydXK needs you!

Crewp

Postby Crewp » 29 Sep 2013 00:53

I vote yes, Kdenlive should be included in SolydK :geek:

kyodev

Postby kyodev » 29 Sep 2013 07:54

greywolf wrote:Well, I do home video production ALL the time.
Kdenlive though is much 'simpler' to use, more intuative for the novice I think.
The other thing is, irrespective of origins, it does not drag in half of KDE as dependencies.
if greywolf, as video "professionnal", say that is good, I vote yes too.

whatsvictory

Postby whatsvictory » 30 Sep 2013 18:56

I vote yes as well.

Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”