Clementine as Default Music Player

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.
Evil-K

Clementine as Default Music Player

Postby Evil-K » 22 Jan 2014 07:22

Heya folks!! Evil-K's back, and this time, SOMEONE'S GOT TO PAY!!!!!

Nah, not really :lol:

Long time, no see everyone! Nice to see that the forum has grown so huge in my absence (doing both work and school full time will do that). Anyhoo, onto the point of this post....

(I did a search and didn't see that this was suggested before, so if it actually was, I apologize now)

I've noticed each time I've installed SolydK and SolydX (on the Monster and my newly-resurrected laptop, respectively), I get rid of both Amarok and Exaile and install Clementine on both, and I've been thinking: why not have Clementine on both?

Clementine has some terrific features that even Amarok doesn't have, and it's lightweight enough to complement the Xfce desktop quite nicely. Also, it's made via the Qt framework, so it plays nice with KDE.

I've nothing against Amarok; it's an excellent music player. Can't honestly say the same for Exaile... sorry.

At any rate, since a lot of work has been put into making SolydX and SolydK look similar by default, why not make Clementine the default music player for both?
"Many people are so ungrateful to be alive, but not you... not anymore."
-Jigsaw

"...and I said 'Oatmeal?! Are you crazy?!"
-Pinkamena Diane Pie

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Clementine as Default Music Player

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 22 Jan 2014 09:17

Hi Evil-K, and welcome back!

I don't know Clementine, so could you explain what the differences are between Amarok, Exaile, and Clementine.
State the pros and cons, and why you think the pros outweigh the cons, and we should all use Clemetine. That way the community has some arguments to discuss about.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

patzy

Postby patzy » 24 Jan 2014 00:53

I find that music players have got so involved that I have trouble using them.
With Amarok I've never worked out how the play list works, and it is the first thing presented when it loads.

I have set mp3s etc to play in kaffeine. That way I can just click the odd file I want to listen to and off it goes.

If Clementine is simpler to use, then I'm all for it.

wyrdoak

Postby wyrdoak » 24 Jan 2014 02:52

Clementine is lighter and easier to use, I use it when I'm playing short mp3s but for the larger files like audio-books I use Exaile for it seems to remember an que the file so it starts were it left off at on after stopping and rebooting the net-book . Clementine seems to me lighter on system resource too. Just learned that Clementine can also upload to other devices also, gotta try it out when I can find someone with a smart phone, Wouldn't work on my cousin's iPad but it did on my eReader and also makes sure that the files are compatible for the device. [ The eReader plays music as you read if you have earphones. 8-)]

Acer Aspire One AO532h; CPU Atom n450 1.66Gh: 2GB RAM, duel boot with Win7: SolydK32

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 28 Jan 2014 09:18

Whether or not software is easy to use is in the eye of the beholder. So, I've been looking at functionality, especially support for devices.

I've been playing around with Clementine, and found that support for my iPod is minimal.
I can copy files to my iPod, but because my music collection is rather large, I need a way to synchronize. That includes playlists.
If you're using this kind of software solely for maintaining, and playing your music collection. Any of the mentioned packages will do fine, but as long as none of these packages support devices as iTunes does, I don't see a real advantage to replace one package with the other, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ray

Postby ray » 28 Jan 2014 10:11

I mostly use Clementine so I don't really care what the default is, I just remove the one's I don't like which is I think, the easiest way. There are several others that don't seem to work for me but I just install one's that do work for me.

Ray

dyfi

Postby dyfi » 28 Jan 2014 15:50

Music players really come down to personal choice. For me, vlc will play almost anything thrown at it - music and video.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 28 Jan 2014 20:17

I'm not quite sure if KDE user will agree to replace amarok but I'm sure most of XFCE user will gladly accept the idea replacing exaile with something better like clementine :3

MT2sum

Postby MT2sum » 03 Feb 2014 16:58

My biggest problem with almost all of the music/dvd players in Linux don't bother to include any docs/instructions on how to actually use them. I'm not talking about docs written in geek-speak, I'm talking about user instructions for someone who is a computer illiterate like me. The devs of these various players just create a player, but don't seem to care about the end-user in the process - he's on his own :!:

Back to the subject, docs rant is over ..... (for now :!:) ..... Even Googling for instructions for using mplayer/VLC/Exhaile haven't brought intelligible results for how to actually play a CD and type out a playlist that will replay when I want it. Maybe that's becuz my music isn't what most devs consider normal ..... I like American Bluegrass - Bill Monroe, Stanley brothers, etc. so maybe my CD's don't include the right stuff (codecs?) to do it over the net, but at least I'd like a user's manual to tell me how to do things manually ;) I think at one time there was a 'Totem' music player which was very user friendly, but most of the good ones are gone now becuz just about everyone is a guru nowadays (except for me :lol: ). I'm going to try out the ones mentioned here to see what my opinion is about Clementine v. Amarok v. VLC v. Exhaile v. mplayer v. Xmms etc. etc. I do know that whenever I try to use Exhaile, I get errors saying VLC can't read the CD so I did install mplayer, but haven't had time to check it out yet.

I'm not a total newbie, just someone whose brain never understood computers or electronics ;) I've used many different Linux's over the years, but after trying most of them (Slackware, Mandrake, Suze, Arch, Red Hat + several others); I always come back to a Debian-based Linux becuz they are the most user-friendly for me. So far, SolydX seems to be a good replacement for the one which was my favorite Linux, Libranet (yeah that goes back a few years). Now, the only time I have to use my M$ Win 7 much, is when I'm getting SolydX configured just the way I want it!
Thanks SolydX devs!

Digger

Postby Digger » 02 Apr 2014 16:59

I know this is an old post but thought I'd chime in.
I've found over the past few years while distro hopping and trial and error that Clementine and Amarok both are too glitchie and bloated for my liking. Just too much candy I guess , and I just plainly don't like Exaile. I always end up uninstalling those and installing Audacious. It's lightweight , simple to use and stable, no instructions necessary. You can play CD'd or drag and drop your whole music library and BANG, Play your tunes.

Check out Audacious for a pleasant surprise. It would be a great default player for SolydXK

dyfi

Postby dyfi » 02 Apr 2014 17:13

Have recently been using deadbeef portable (no installation at all). Very impressed, simple and efficient.

kobros

Postby kobros » 02 Apr 2014 20:00

Clementine is a perfect replacement (and improvement) for Exaile in XFCE systems.
Linux User #312596.
Mepis/Debian/antiX/MX/Win7

Zill

Postby Zill » 02 Apr 2014 20:11

MT2sum wrote:My biggest problem with almost all of the music/dvd players in Linux don't bother to include any docs/instructions on how to actually use them. I'm not talking about docs written in geek-speak, I'm talking about user instructions for someone who is a computer illiterate like me. The devs of these various players just create a player, but don't seem to care about the end-user in the process - he's on his own...
This is because Linux "devs" really don't care about the end-user! Many GNU/Linux applications have been, primarily, developed by someone for their own purposes, not for someone else. As such, the developer knows how their application works and so they do not feel the need to write much, if any, user-documentation.

This concept can come as a bit of a shock to users from the proprietary software world where they expect to buy a fully-functioning product complete with instructions. Free and open-source software (FOSS) simply does not work like this.
MT2sum wrote:...but at least I'd like a user's manual to tell me how to do things manually...
In the FOSS world the way this problem is resolved is for users to help out and do the job themselves. On this basis, if you believe a user's manual is necessary, then please join the appropriate development team and help write the manual and incorporate it into the application. This way, all users will benefit in future.

I suggest users new to Linux should read Linux is not Windows, as this explains a lot about the philosophy.

Regarding the "default music player" question - does it really matter? The point about defaults is that they basically just give the user a few applications to get started. After that, installing the applications of the user's choice is just a click or two away. We all have our own personal preferences so there is rarely a "one size fits all" solution.

Longshot

Postby Longshot » 02 Apr 2014 20:41

I installed Clementine on all distros I use, it does what it should. I can't say if its better than Exaile, I never used Exaile and I did not give it a chance, I have always used Clementine and that's what I like.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 03 Apr 2014 09:20

Regarding the "default music player" question - does it really matter? The point about defaults is that they basically just give the user a few applications to get started. After that, installing the applications of the user's choice is just a click or two away. We all have our own personal preferences so there is rarely a "one size fits all" solution.
it does matter. consider:
1. not everyone using solydxk is connected to internet.
2. first time linux user need to get good impression of linux
3. first time linux user and inexperienced one didn't know what good app or even how to install an app.
4. rather than 'install it and tweak to my personal reference' most user is 'install it and use it' type.

having a good app as default is good for both end user and the distro devs. we also need to concern about computer illiterate user and first time linux user. on most cases they didn't know how to install an app. have a good app selection means bigger attraction for user. exaile is indeed light but audacious and clementine have better user interface, works better and still maintain the lightness. a survey might be a good idea.

MT2sum

Postby MT2sum » 04 Apr 2014 15:27

Zill wrote:This is because Linux "devs" really don't care about the end-user! Many GNU/Linux applications have been, primarily, developed by someone for their own purposes, not for someone else. As such, the developer knows how their application works and so they do not feel the need to write much, if any, user-documentation.

This concept can come as a bit of a shock to users from the proprietary software world where they expect to buy a fully-functioning product complete with instructions. Free and open-source software (FOSS) simply does not work like this.
In the FOSS world the way this problem is resolved is for users to help out and do the job themselves. On this basis, if you believe a user's manual is necessary, then please join the appropriate development team and help write the manual and incorporate it into the application. This way, all users will benefit in future.

I suggest users new to Linux should read Linux is not Windows, as this explains a lot about the philosophy.
I'm not new to Linux, but at my age, just up and figuring something out is not possible for me (I didn't grow up in the computer age, so my best shot at anything resembling an adding machine was a little plastic thingy where you put a stylus into the holes and turn some wheels inside so that you could add and subtract - no multiplication or division) - and then to write a user's manual for it! Impossible!! I guess I'll look into another player that works - Clementine, as someone so eloquently put it, is too "glitchy" for the likes of this old guy. Thanks for your response ;)

Digger

Postby Digger » 04 Apr 2014 16:35

I'm telling ya , Check out Audacious. It's a breeze to use. especially for us Old Dogs :D

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 09 Apr 2014 03:40

I used to use Rythmbox (it was showing its age), tried Amarok, too confusing and bloated, then I tried Clementine, nice looking, functions well, intuitive, only thing is (as with most players), you have to thoroughly go through the settings right away, I shut off the the album art, etc, I don't want my music player searching the internet for album art, letting all the spying governments know what music I have on my machine and listen to. ;) :shock: :mrgreen:

Clementine Player home page here.
AMD FX-8350, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.0), 2 Intel 520 Series 120GB SSDs, 2 Seagate storage HDDs, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3, Asus Radeon R7 250, Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition case, 750W Tt Toughpower Gold PSU...running no systemd PCLinuxOS

mistergil

Postby mistergil » 14 Apr 2014 22:40

Being the minimalist that I am, not caring much about prearranged audio libraries and such (other than my own categorizations and filing system), the first thing I do on any installation is delete the stock audio player and install Decibel Audio Player. It's light footprint and a couple of the built in additions like the equalizer, audio cd, etc.has done me fine for quite a few years. VLC is still there if I need it for something that decibel won't play. I convert all of my audio to ogg 8 and 432 hz via Audacity and all is good. My small 2 g portable Sansa clip player plays everything I need from there. :)
Reg. #439601

Nomen Nescio

Postby Nomen Nescio » 17 Apr 2014 21:41

Think I tried almost all players the last 2 years.

Can perfectly live with the default VLC and Amarok (KDE).

Today I discovered this 'little gem': Yarock

http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php?content=129372

Regards, NN

Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”