Documentation for XP users

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.
Deleted User 1322

Re: Documentation for XP users

Postby Deleted User 1322 » 09 Mar 2014 09:51

[Off Topic]
Informations from outside the current topic:

If informations that are given in the mentioned poll are right, then every third out of ten users is going to convert to a Linux OS soon. A great chance for SolydXK to increase.

Look this link (right side of the homepage):
http://www.silicon.de/
[/Off Topic]

littlejohn

Postby littlejohn » 09 Mar 2014 10:18

There is an older article that is still relevant to this question. It deals more with the philosophical differences between Linux and Windows rather than operational differences. Everyone transitioning from Windows to Linux should read this.

Most of us have probably read it, but some have not and others may never have seen it.

It is here http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

I think this, or something similar should be included as a preface to the main text.

Registered Linux User 483387

HP dv7t-7047; Core i7 quad HT, 2.8 GHz ; 8 GB ddr 3 ram; 2x750 GB, 7200 rpm Seagate Barracuda HDD; Optimus graphics - Intel 4000 + Nvidia 950

OS: SolydX 64 (default), Linux Mint 16-64 Mate, ZorinOS 6.3-64

patzy

Postby patzy » 11 Mar 2014 00:16

ilu wrote:
Before installing SolydXK on HDD at all, there are several important "To do's" with XP first ... snip
I would start with the advice: Save yourself the headache and get another hd, new or old. Sooner or later you'll need more diskspace anyway.
This is, of course, an ideal solution. But most people coming from XP will be primarily lured by the "it's free" thing. Add to this that, again, most XP users would have no idea how to add another HD and the recruits will take fright and be gone before they get a good look at Solyd.

DeMus

Postby DeMus » 13 Mar 2014 17:08

Bad news people. Till now there has been nobody who is interested in helping to write a document for people who want to leave Windows XP behind and make the plunge into Linux, especially SolydXK.
Since I will be getting another job, starting next week Monday, it will be impossible for me to continue with the stories. I am sorry but I have to return the assignment. As I wrote earlier I can write the KDE stuff but for SolydX I need help. Nobody volunteered. Now with another assignment during the day and coming home late in the evening I simply have no time to continue.
If somebody is interested and wants to do it, I can send you what I have so far (which to be honest is not much).

Schoelje, I am sorry but it seems to me you need to find another way to get things done.
Came from Windows, used Ubuntu, Kubuntu, LinuxMint and now LinuxMint KDE-64. Love the KDE desktop.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 13 Mar 2014 17:27

Sorry to hear that, but it's the way it is.
Good luck with your new job.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”