SolydX - better centered logo

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.
philipz

SolydX - better centered logo

Postby philipz » 24 Mar 2014 00:07

After spending time on solydx, the wallpaper logo seems more leaning to the left and i'd like to suggest that it be centered according to the center of the solydx circular logo or alternatively, having "Linux desktop made easy" on two lines to make it more centered. I've included the below image with a line showing the center of the screen.
Attachments
SolydX - Screen Center.jpg

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: SolydX - better centered logo

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 24 Mar 2014 06:24

Why?

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Night Wing

Postby Night Wing » 24 Mar 2014 12:51

From the black line to the capital letter S in the word Solyd is the same distance from the black line to the period (.) after the word easy.

GeneC

Postby GeneC » 24 Mar 2014 13:36

Image... ;)
GeneC

Debian (Testing)
Siduction (Debian SID)

philipz

Postby philipz » 24 Mar 2014 20:05

Night Wing wrote:From the black line to the capital letter S in the word Solyd is the same distance from the black line to the period (.) after the word easy.
Yes it is centered in that way, but as "Solyd" is shorter than "Linux desktop made easy", the 'X' in the orange circle is not centered with the black line. So i suggested either moving it as is to the centered 'X' or by making two lines of "Linux desktop made easy", so that the 'X' could come closer to the center.

Zill

Postby Zill » 24 Mar 2014 20:22

philipz: Some of us happen to like SolydXK the way it is. This is not to say that it cannot be improved, but SolydXK's founders have devised it this way and, as their project, they are entitled to do this.

You are, of course, perfectly entitled to produce your own distro which can be full of your own personal preferences. But this is all they are. We all have our own preferences and with Linux distros we are fortunate to be able to fine-tune things ourselves to please our own sense of taste. However, there really isn't much point, IMHO, in trying to change defaults too much as we can all change settings on our own systems ourselves! Let's concentrate effort on getting functionality right, rather than agonizing about appearance.

philipz

Postby philipz » 24 Mar 2014 22:13

Some of us happen to like SolydXK the way it is. This is not to say that it cannot be improved, but SolydXK's founders have devised it this way and, as their project, they are entitled to do this.
I am only bringing to their attention something that i came across and thought they may have overlooked and might want to change. I am not here to force any of my preferences on them as that is not my right, but as @Schoeije asked "Why?" i assumed i didnt get my message across correctly, so i further explained what i was saying. If he said that he isnt interested in it, then i wouldnt discuss it any further.
You are, of course, perfectly entitled to produce your own distro which can be full of your own personal preferences. But this is all they are. We all have our own preferences and with Linux distros we are fortunate to be able to fine-tune things ourselves to please our own sense of taste. However, there really isn't much point, IMHO, in trying to change defaults too much as we can all change settings on our own systems ourselves!
I am aware that i can produce my own distro and add my preferences to it, and if that was what i wanted i wouldnt be spending my time sending in bug fixes and feature suggestions to distros i try. In my opinion a distro bring together a software collection, desktop environment and theming, and this is what they normally do to differentiate themselves from another distro. And part of theming is an optimal set of default presets, so users dont have to changed them, especially those who dont know how to.

drc

Postby drc » 24 Mar 2014 23:04

philipz wrote:I am not here to force any of my preferences on them....
No, but the sheer number of "your preferences" added to stridency of "your preferences" make it a bit tedious for the rest of us. Some of us happen to like the SolydXK preferences, or, if we don't, <we> change them on <our> machines, not suggest that Schoelje change the defaults to <our preferences>.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 25 Mar 2014 06:17

Gentlemen,

Before this goes any further, philipz's suggestions might be debatable, but some of them were good, and were easy to implement. I'm not going to discuss personal preferences, what is absolute centered, or what is visually centered (things I learned when I studied on the Art Academy many years ago).

@philipz
Thank you for your feedback. I took what I think I want, and can do. If I now do not react on one of your posts, you can consider it as "read, but not considered".

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”