Default boot splash

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.
woodsman
Posts: 115
Joined: 06 Jun 2014 01:59

Default boot splash

Postby woodsman » 08 Jun 2014 20:40

Using SolydX and I am new to SolydX.

By chance, could the default boot splash be changed in the next UP to a more proactive splash? A spinner, throbber, or thermometer progress bar?

The current default splash is very clean and has a fade-in/fade-out effect but to my eyes is not as noticeable as other methods. I did not notice the fade effect until several reboots later.

Just curious.

Yes, I am aware there are other splash options in the default installation as well as additional Plymouth theme packages.

User avatar
Zill
Posts: 1850
Joined: 13 Aug 2013 14:28
Location: Lincolnshire, UK

Re: Default boot splash

Postby Zill » 08 Jun 2014 22:49

woodsman wrote:...could the default boot splash be changed in the next UP to a more proactive splash?...
There is an option to disable Plymouth during installation and this provides the most "proactive splash" with terminal output explaining exactly what is happening. As Plymouth is also rather flaky, many of us prefer to use a "no plymouth" boot by default.

woodsman
Posts: 115
Joined: 06 Jun 2014 01:59

Re: Default boot splash

Postby woodsman » 09 Jun 2014 02:25

Yes, I too prefer no boot splash at all. But I am old school, somebody who started with computers before GUIs became popular.

I find that boot splashes tend to calm those, um, Windows users who migrate to Linux. Explaining to them that "this is how real computers work" doesn't seem to help. :D

Yes, Plymouth is flaky. I notice in LMDE but not SolydX that using the boot splash causes havoc with the keyboard shortcuts to toggle to other consoles (Ctrl+Alt+Fx). I also notice that usually at least twice during the splash presentation, the splash coughs back to stdout. Not to forget that moment between grub and splash is, well, amatuerish looking.

Through the years I notice boot splashes in Linux have been a Holy Grail of sorts. Nobody seems to ever get boot splashes working just right.

That all said, a more active default boot splash remains an idea request. :)

User avatar
greywolf
Posts: 103
Joined: 27 Feb 2013 22:34
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Default boot splash

Postby greywolf » 09 Jun 2014 06:43

woodsman wrote:........................

I find that boot splashes tend to calm those, um, Windows users who migrate to Linux. Explaining to them that "this is how real computers work" doesn't seem to help. :D
All I can say is, you must associate with a pretty poor class of ex-Windows user. Nearly every one I have converted (hundreds of them) with NO Plymouth has said how wonderful it would have been to be able to see what was happening whenever their Windows failed to load!!

..........snipped...........
woodsman wrote:Through the years I notice boot splashes in Linux have been a Holy Grail of sorts. Nobody seems to ever get boot splashes working just right.
Mine works fine:

$ sudo apt-get purge plymouth*
woodsman wrote:That all said, a more active default boot splash remains an idea request. :)
I totally agree with Zill, how more "active" do you want than to see feedback on what is actually hapening? Just a few more thousand lines of code saved!! :)

greywolf.
It was about the dragons. It was always about the dragons!

User avatar
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin
Posts: 9423
Joined: 26 Jan 2013 19:36
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Default boot splash

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 09 Jun 2014 08:41

This (repetitive) discussion reminds me of a book I read a long time ago, and had a lot of influence on how was going to perceive the world in the years to come (and still does): "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance" by Robert M. Pirsig.

At one point the writer describes what he likes about his motorcycle vacation: he thinks about how all parts of the motorcycle come together, and function as they should to bring him wherever he needs to go. Maintaining his motorcycle is part of the fun in his vacation. Whereas his friend sees the motorcycle as a means to travel from point A to B, enjoying the scenery while they travel. Motorcycle maintenance does not fit into his vision on what's fun in his vacation. Two visions on the same object: "classical" versus "romantic". Discussing which one is better is trivial because the points of view do not share the same universe.


SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

User avatar
Zill
Posts: 1850
Joined: 13 Aug 2013 14:28
Location: Lincolnshire, UK

Re: Default boot splash

Postby Zill » 09 Jun 2014 10:31

woodsman wrote:... I find that boot splashes tend to calm those, um, Windows users who migrate to Linux. Explaining to them that "this is how real computers work" doesn't seem to help.
Does the phrase "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" help? Other OS's may have a different philosophy but the Linux way is to provide an secure, reliable and efficient OS that keeps the user advised about what is actually going on.

Windows users migrating to Linux have to realise that Linux is not a cheap clone of Windows and that they really need to learn and do things differently. Otherwise, if we add to Linux all the bloat and "hide everything from the user" approach, then it really loses its essential defining qualities. :-(

User avatar
zerozero
Posts: 5373
Joined: 10 Feb 2013 23:37
Location: West Midlands, England
Contact:

Re: Default boot splash

Postby zerozero » 10 Jun 2014 21:39

Schoelje wrote:This (repetitive) discussion reminds me of a book I read a long time ago, and had a lot of influence on how was going to perceive the world in the years to come (and still does): "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance" by Robert M. Pirsig.

At one point the writer describes what he likes about his motorcycle vacation: he thinks about how all parts of the motorcycle come together, and function as they should to bring him wherever he needs to go. Maintaining his motorcycle is part of the fun in his vacation. Whereas his friend sees the motorcycle as a means to travel from point A to B, enjoying the scenery while they travel. Motorcycle maintenance does not fit into his vision on what's fun in his vacation. Two visions on the same object: "classical" versus "romantic". Discussing which one is better is trivial because the points of view do not share the same universe.
i didn't read the book so can't share the value of the metaphor but if i understood it right it doesn't apply here because plymouth doesn't work, not for many and not reliably.

in the words of the great Jeremy Clarkson :lol: is like the passion for the Alfas: it's the most rewarding automotive experience ever and a true motorhead has to drive one at some point in life but you need to realize that you are going to finish many journeys by public transport :mrgreen:
bliss of ignorance

woodsman
Posts: 115
Joined: 06 Jun 2014 01:59

Re: Default boot splash

Postby woodsman » 29 Jun 2014 03:46

This is interesting. I installed another version of SolydX in support of the SolydXK Mate thread. My first install had a boot splash with a fade-in/fade-out effect. This new install boot splash has a progress bar, much like I requested in the original post. I have no idea why there is a difference. I have not yet performed any updates.

Same DVD from May 2014.


Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests